Speed Play Pedal Platform ??

mac77bear

Jul 7, 2004
Can someone tell me what is screwed to the bottom of this shoe to make the speedplay fit? Please see attached picture.

not the cleat. There is some carbon insert of some kind that is screwed into the shoe. Makes a sort of platform for the cleat to sit flush. That is want I am interested in.

mac77bear said:
not the cleat. There is some carbon insert of some kind that is screwed into the shoe. Makes a sort of platform for the cleat to sit flush. That is want I am interested in.

The platform of which you speak is a part of the cleat. the cleat itself has two main parts, an adapter baseplate that conforms to the curvature of the sole of standard 3-hole shoes (LOOK style) and a spring-retainer portion of the cleat that actually engages the pedal. For a 4-hole shoe sole, such as old TIME, old Carnac, and a few others, the spring cleat attaches directly to the sole or a shoe manufacturer-made adapter plate with 4 screws and the baseplate is not required. That is what is shown in the picture that you attached. It looks to be a carbon adapter plate--maybe custom made.

The advantage of a 4-hole attachment such as you show is a couple of mm lower stack height on the cleat-pedal interface.

Thank you John M. I figured it is probably custom, because I haven't seen anything like it on the mkt. But thanks for your help.

This looks like Ivan Basso's foot given the pink zero's from the Giro de Italia,

The adaptor plate definitely looks like carbon fibre so as suggested this is a custom part. You could try and contact DMT to see if they can get the adaptor for you.

http://www.uplandsg.com/dmt/

he is using Ergos' the big screw is part of the shoe and secures the forward part of the CF sole, he's sing some kind of custom piece that is both the forward CF part of the sole and cleat...

HR