speed training

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Shutterbug, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Shutterbug

    Shutterbug Guest

    Does anyone have ideas on what would constitute a good speed training program to include with a
    regular running schedule? I usually run 3 to 3
    1/2 miles four times a week, but rarely include speed training. Any info would be greatly
    appreciated!

    Andrew

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, shutterbug wrote:
    > Does anyone have ideas on what would constitute a good speed training program to include with a
    > regular running schedule? I usually run 3 to 3
    > 1/2 miles four times a week, but rarely include speed training. Any info would be greatly
    > appreciated!

    Your base is still very small -- build that up first. I'd suggest:

    (1) increasing the length of one of your runs to 6 miles
    (2) adding an additional 3 mile run each week.

    That would give you a total of about 18 miles per week.

    Then add intervals.

    I'd suggest this workout (which is a total of 3 miles):

    800m slow jog warmup 800m fast 400m jog 800m fast 400m jog 800m fast 800m jog cooldown

    If you have a track, that's great, if you don't just use approximate distances. The repeats should
    all be at the same speed, and the last one should be very difficult.

    Cheers,

  3. Shutterbug

    Shutterbug Guest

    Thanks for the info. I will try this out and see how it goes. It is amazing that after being in the
    Marine Corps for three years, there is really no one that knows a lot about running. It is just get
    out there and hit the road...run three miles...and stretch some. You would think we would have it
    down to a science by now, but I guess not.

    Thanks! Andrew