Speed Upgrade

dlfonner

Nov 19, 2006
I have been riding for a few months now on a Specialized Allez. What upgrades can I do to get speed? Thanks

dlfonner said:
I have been riding for a few months now on a Specialized Allez. What upgrades can I do to get speed? Thanks

Get yourself into better shape is the best way followed by improved position on the bike, but in the way of equipment, many people would suggest:

1. Lighter, more aero wheels.
2. Better tires

As above, plus loose some weight yourself (if you have some spare) plus ride more and get fitter!

Reduce the gross weight and have a professional bike fit,
fit 23mm quality tyres, (Conti)
check the gearing, a close ratio cassette with 52 or 53 tooth big ring.

Get a better engine. Nothing else really matters at the speeds most mortals go.

Everyone will tell you "wheelset", but I've never noticed a change in speed with change of wheels. Sure, some look much prettier than others...there is no limit to the amount that you can spend for minimal return, unless you're counting TT seconds.
In order:
1. training.
2. training.
3. training.
4. good fit (seat height, saddle, stem length and bar height)
5. tyres.

NB just riding the bike counts as "training".
Nothing much else will make the bike faster, but you can spend a lot making your bike look pretty...

artemidorus said:
Everyone will tell you "wheelset", but I've never noticed a change in speed with change of wheels. Sure, some look much prettier than others...there is no limit to the amount that you can spend for minimal return, unless you're counting TT seconds.
In order:
1. training.
2. training.
3. training.
4. good fit (seat height, saddle, stem length and bar height)
5. tyres.

NB just riding the bike counts as "training".
Nothing much else will make the bike faster, but you can spend a lot making your bike look pretty...
You are wrong here. it is

1. Good fit (what he said)
2. training using periodisation
3. training with a power monitor
4. interval training
5. lose some weight
6. training
24. training
25. low rolling resistance tyres
26. training
34. Wheels with less spokes, same or greater stiffness, and a deep rim
35. aero frame

Contrary to what marketing tells you, you cannot buy speed.

bobbyOCR said:
Contrary to what marketing tells you, you cannot buy speed.
You are wrong....I just bought some from my dealer the other day.:D:D:D:rolleyes:

BTW dlfonner, what everyone else says; train harder and lose weight (if you have any to lose).

Focus on aerodynamics if you don't ride hills or focus on weight if you do ride lots of hills.

There is not much speed to gain from upgrades. If you have trouble free shifting, a Sora group is about as good as a Dura Ace group when it comes to the amount of power being transfered to the rear wheel from the pedals. Your wheels can be more or less aerodynamic, but still, the difference between a wheel with an aero profiled rim and a traditional wheel is a good deal less than the aerodynamic effect you get from having a water bottle or not, so it isn't really that big a deal, IMO.

For a training bike, I would like a stiff crank, bombproof wheels with smooth rolling hubs and comfortable position (adjust bars and saddle accordingly). Also throw in a quality set of tires.

If you have Shimano 105 (new 10s version) or better, there is absolutely no point in upgrading this.

Let me ask you what is your budget?

Apart from what makes you enjoy riding, it's 95% your engine that does it. You won't get much from upgrading the last 5% but joy and bling, which is not to be neglected at all! :)

dlfonner said:
Biggest return usually comes from a lighter weight engine ... :rolleyes:

Funny that, the harder and more you ride, the lighter and more powerful the engine gets.

I ride with a dude who is 230lbs, easy 30 plus pounds overweight. He keeps training harder and harder, yet continually gets dropped on the mildest of hills. Yeah, I would too hauling a 60 pound rucksack on my back.

capwater said:
I ride with a dude who is 230lbs, easy 30 plus pounds overweight. He keeps training harder and harder, yet continually gets dropped on the mildest of hills. Yeah, I would too hauling a 60 pound rucksack on my back.
You can burn youself up every day of the week and get nowhere. You have to periodise your training properly, rest adequately and recover properly. Plus, he might be eating harder and harder too.