Speed vs. Comfort

ads99

Oct 2, 2007
I' am a rower who doesn’t live near water anymore and have recently gotten back into biking, and it feels great. I first began riding in my mid-forties, averaging about 150-175 miles a week, and had a zippy Bianchi with dropped handlebars, clip-pedals, aero bars, etc. I’m now 64, and ride a hybrid bike about an hour a day at a 130 to 140 HRM. I'm riding a Giant Cypress DX with swapped 28" tires, which is very comfortable but of course doesn’t have the old zip. I'm ready to upgrade, spend some money and get more speed, but I can't bend over for dropped bars like before, don't want to bring spare tires with me on a ride, and the (old style) clip-on pedals made me claustrophobic. So roughly speaking, for a speedier hybrid vs. a road bike, what is the approximate mph loss for:

1) having a hybrid frame

2) having a moderate suspension fork

3) not using clip-on pedals

4) using 28' tires.

Any other related advise is of course welcomed. Thanks for any help.

ads99 said:
what is the approximate mph loss for:
1) having a hybrid frame
4) using 28' tires.
Any other related advise is of course welcomed. Thanks for any help.
1) having a hybrid frame
The extra weight of the frame will make you a little slower going up hill. The extra weight will have little or no effect in other circumstances.
You will be sitting up in the wind more, ie poorer aerodynamics. How much this extra wind affects you depends on the individual and how fast you ride.

Front suspension will largely be extra weight. Rear suspension may sap energy from your legs, depending on the actual design.

It does depend on your riding style and the quality/suitability of your shoes. At a guess 5% over toe clips or 10% over flat pedals.

4) using 28' tires.
What are 28' tyres? Do you mean 28mm tyres vs 23mm tyres. If so in your situation I'm guessing that 28mm tyres may actually give you better performance than 23mm tyres as 28mm tyres have lower rolling resistance, where 23mm tyres have better aerodynamics, but if you ain't going fast then the aerodynamics of the tyre isn't that important.

Any other related advise is of course welcomed.

I'm guessing that the Bianchi you own is from a era when racers were really harse bikes to ride. An other bike option would be to make your existing Bianchi more comfortable to ride, fitting 28mm tyres, shortening the reach to the handlebars with a shorter stem and while your at it, make the handlebars higher. Perhaps a new more comfortable seat and some quality bike shorts/knicks.

Do you have flexibility problems? Perhaps some stretching or better still some yoga classes.

And it's got me curious, why are you interested in how fast you ride?