Speed Wobbles

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Russ Reynolds, May 7, 2007.

1. Russ Reynolds

Russ Reynolds New Member

I have just noticed a slight speed wobble in the handlebars. Is this due to the headset being too loose ? If so how tight should it be ?

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If your front wheel is true (and, the front wheel bearings are not loose), then (as you suspect) it probably is your headset which needs adjustment.

The headset should be tight enough that when you lock the front brake & rock the bike forward you don't feel play in the bearings -- sorry for the vague description, but if the headset is loose, it will be immediately obvious.

Obviously (?), you don't want the headset so tight that the fork doesn't move freely in in the frame ... figure, it should feel like your BB spindle (NOT a brand new BB, but one that has a few hundred miles) when there isn't a crank attached -- smooth, with no play.

FWIW/IMO, if push-comes-to-shove, it's probably better to have a headset that is slightly too tight (but, that will cause premature wear) than one that is too loose.

3. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

I was thinking it might be the bearings. I just greased mine and didn't tighten down the cones properly (to loose) and got the "wobble". Just a thought.

4. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

Check your tire for run out. Slowly spin the wheel with the bike upside down and sight on the outside/ contact patch area of the tire. Any significant "blip" could be your problem. You can deflate an make sure the tube has no fold at the spot and then reset the tire bead and sometimes improve it, but most often it takes a new tire.

5. Xsmoker

Xsmoker New Member

With all the ticking and shaking I would think it might be time for a new ride..

6. Russ Reynolds

Russ Reynolds New Member

HA HA. It's the first bike that I've built OK. I'm not game to mention my shifter not engaging properly.
    Thanks everyone else for your sensible comments. ( I wonder what kind of spider it was )

7. Russ Reynolds

Russ Reynolds New Member

It was the headset. I found that the forks were too long. I took about 3mm off the tube and reassembled. I could then tighten up the top cap screw which loaded and seated the bearings alot better. Took it for a ride..........problem solved.
    Thanks fellas.

8. nerdag

nerdag New Member

If that was the case, then you could have just used a headset spacer - which would have given you some flexibility in adjusting the height of the bars over time.

Maybe next time.

n