Speeding cyclists

James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gareth A. wrote:

> >>Same way as it's ok to exceed the speed limits on foot, or walk/run when drunk. Unless you'd
> >>like to outlaw them too?
> >

> > You are unlikely to exceed any speed limit on foot,
>
> It's unlikely on a bike too. The question was, how is it acceptable?

Absent any law to the contrary, completely.

If you're looking for "fair", the law (and the world) will disappoint you.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:04:57 +0000, Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>> E=1/2mv^2.
>
>>No, that's specious. It assumes, unreasonably, that v is the initial velocity when the impact
>>occurs (ie noone braked)
>
> Not as such: both vehicles have brakes. It assumes that either vehicle will have braked by the
> same amount (reasonable in the case of my recumbent, which has Very Powerful Brakes). Use of the
> brakes by the driver of a vehicle may also be influenced by the potential harm to that driver in
> the event of a crash.
>
>>and also that all the kinetic energy of the impactor is imparted to the impactee,
>
> Not as such: conservation of momentum applies. In the case of the car the vast disparity in mass
> is such that the velocity of both impactor and impactee after collision is approximately the same
> as the mass of the impactor beforehand; with a cyclist, mass being of the same order of magnitude
> as the impactee, the acceleration applied to the impactee will be lower, so injuries less likely
> to be serious.
>
> Child pedestrians hospitalised due to collision with pedal cycles in 2002-2003: 105. Child
> pedestrians hospitalised due to collision with cars in 2002-2003: 2,826.

So bikes, which comprise far less than 1 in 28 of total traffic, account for 1 in 28 of total
injuries? Mmmm, how safe is that then?

Sadly, you (and I) have strayed from the initial reason for my irritation at this thread: the fact
that some here, yourself included ISTR, felt that being on a bike justified knowingly exceeding the
speed limit required for cars *simply* because the law doesn't apply to bikes.

I still maintain, and will always do so, that that attitude is stupid, and will inevitably result in
motorist irritation with us (which we don't need more of) and potentially legislation for speed
limits on bikes. So be it. It's sad that your attitude to speed applies only to the letter of the
law, rather than the intent. Paul Smith is not alone in his dogmatic view of the world around him.
Sadly, neither polarisation does any justice to the legitimacy of any case either of you may have.

You can argue all you like about the relative dangers of a bike compared with a car; I disagree with
many of the arguments you put forward, but ces't la vie. The point still remains that if you on your
bike exceeding the 30 mph speed limit outside my house happen to run into my 7 year old daughter you
are going to kill her or do her a serious injury. The fact that it may or may not be less severe
than that done by a car is *absolutely* not relevant. You will be just as culpable as a car driver.
Presumably, though, you'd feel less so, because you feel you have physics, and the letter of the
law, on your side.

Bollocks.

--
Trevor Barton

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:16:17 +0000, Trevor Barton
<[email protected]>:

>So bikes, which comprise far less than 1 in 28 of total traffic, account for 1 in 28 of total
>injuries? Mmmm, how safe is that then?

Not comparing like with like. This includes, for example, accidents on shared-use paths. The
opportunities for conflict between ped and cyclist are much greater.

>Sadly, you (and I) have strayed from the initial reason for my irritation at this thread: the fact
>that some here, yourself included ISTR, felt that being on a bike justified knowingly exceeding the
>speed limit required for cars *simply* because the law doesn't apply to bikes.

No, in my case if I did so it would be because I pose much less danger than a car at the same speed,
and that my level of awareness is affected by the fact that a fast-moving cyclist is at much greater
personal risk in a collision than a fast-moving motorist.

>You can argue all you like about the relative dangers of a bike compared with a car; I disagree
>with many of the arguments you put forward, but ces't la vie.

Ye canna' change the laws of physics ;-)

Also note in my orogonal reply I said "might."

>The point still remains that if you on your bike exceeding the 30 mph speed limit outside my house
>happen to run into my 7 year old daughter you are going to kill her or do her a serious injury.

I very much doubt that I would kill her, and I doubt even more that you would find me doing 30mph -
on bike or in car - on a road where there are children about.

I also very much doubt that any collision would occur because, as has been repeatedly pointed out,
the cyclist is narrower, and it is easier for a cyclist to move sideways by the margin necessary to
avoid someone in the road.

>The fact that it may or may not be less severe than that done by a car is *absolutely* not
>relevant. You will be just as culpable as a car driver. Presumably, though, you'd feel less so,
>because you feel you have physics, and the letter of the law, on your side.

Ludicrous. If I ever hit anyone on my bike I would feel no less cuplable than if I hit them in my
car. For the low-down on just how responsible and culpable drivers can feel see Helen's "lost for
words" thread below.

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:16:17 +0000, Trevor Barton
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

One further point:

>You can argue all you like about the relative dangers of a bike compared with a car; I disagree
>with many of the arguments you put forward, but ces't la vie.

Do you keep below 60mph on motorways, 50mph on dual carriageways and 40mph on single carriageways?
After all, these are the limits for goods vehicles over 7.5T GVW, so surely it would be
irresponsible to exceed them in a car even though it is lighter and more manoeuvreable?

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:47:20 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:16:17 +0000, Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>So bikes, which comprise far less than 1 in 28 of total traffic, account for 1 in 28 of total
>>injuries? Mmmm, how safe is that then?
>
> Not comparing like with like. This includes, for example, accidents on shared-use paths. The
> opportunities for conflict between ped and cyclist are much greater.

But the number of bikes is that much less, and according to you (and at "normal" bike speeds I
agree) the injuries caused by bikes are so much less. I don't know what the relavent numbers are,
but there still seems to be a disproportionate number of cycle related pedestrian injuries. I don't
think the numbers neccessarily show what you intended them to show.

>>Sadly, you (and I) have strayed from the initial reason for my irritation at this thread: the fact
>>that some here, yourself included ISTR, felt that being on a bike justified knowingly exceeding
>>the speed limit required for cars *simply* because the law doesn't apply to bikes.
>
> No, in my case if I did so it would be because I pose much less danger than a car at the same
> speed, and that my level of awareness is affected by the fact that a fast-moving cyclist is at
> much greater personal risk in a collision than a fast-moving motorist.

And Paul Smith argues that because he is apparently an advanced driver his level of awareness and
skill is that much greater than many other motorists, and that that given him a right to travel at a
speed that *he* sees fit. How can you argue against his position; you are making your own judgment
about your own skills and capabilities as a bike rider in exactly the same manner as he does for his
driving skills.

Your argument is that because you are less likely to cause (or have) an accident on a bike, and if
you do you are less likely to cause serious injury, so you should be able to exceed the speed limit
for cars if you feel it's appropriate, and anyway the speed limit doesn't apply to you so it's
irrelevant, anyway. PS's argument is that he is more capable than many road users because he's an
excellent driver, and so is less likely to cause an accident, and so he should be able to exceed the
speed limit in his car, but unfortuantely the law says he can't, so let's change the law.

>>You can argue all you like about the relative dangers of a bike compared with a car; I disagree
>>with many of the arguments you put forward, but ces't la vie.
>
> Ye canna' change the laws of physics ;-)
>
> Also note in my orogonal reply I said "might."

Perhaps that should have been "orthogonal" ;)

>>The point still remains that if you on your bike exceeding the 30 mph speed limit outside my house
>>happen to run into my 7 year old daughter you are going to kill her or do her a serious injury.
>
> I very much doubt that I would kill her, and I doubt even more that you would find me doing 30mph
> - on bike or in car - on a road where there are children about.

How do you know she's about? Because you saw her? Are you suggesting somehow that there are always
warnings about that there might be a kid on the road ahead of you?

> I also very much doubt that any collision would occur because, as has been repeatedly pointed out,
> the cyclist is narrower, and it is easier for a cyclist to move sideways by the margin necessary
> to avoid someone in the road.

But Paul Shithead is a skilled and experienced driver. He also doubts that any collision would
occur, because he's skilled enough to avoid one. Why are your skills and judgment so much
better than his?

>>The fact that it may or may not be less severe than that done by a car is *absolutely* not
>>relevant. You will be just as culpable as a car driver. Presumably, though, you'd feel less so,
>>because you feel you have physics, and the letter of the law, on your side.
>
> Ludicrous. If I ever hit anyone on my bike I would feel no less cuplable than if I hit them in my
> car. For the low-down on just how responsible and culpable drivers can feel see Helen's "lost for
> words" thread below.

No. For a low down on how one driver feels, perhaps. I wont attempt to argue that that person is
unique, because they're not. You do nothing at all for the justification of your arguments by
holding out the bad examples of motoring behaviour and saying "Look at this person, aren't all
motorists a bunch of bastards?" You could equally point out all the cases of domestic violence
around the country and point out "Look at that person, aren't all men bastards?" or "look at that
rejected assylum seeker, aren't all assylum seekers scrounging bastards?". It doesn't make for a
balanced argument. And without a balanced argument you risk putting yourself into the same pot as
P Shithead.

I've just worked out what the numbers at the start of this post mean. Given that there are far less
bikes than cars, and also given that the bike numbers show injuries on "shared use" paths, they show
that bike riders on shared use paths are not being careful enough to avoid injuring their less well
protected path sharers. This must mean that they're all a buch of unfeeling bastards who out to have
their goolies sandpapered. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

--
Trevor Barton

Tony Raven wrote:

> Don't forget that rotating sawblade, I mean chainwheel, stuck out the front to deter those that
> might be tempted to get in the way ;-)

Which is one reason why:

1. All my recumbents have a chainguard of the sort pictured here:
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/spm/index_e.html, and
2. Such items will be mandatory on all machines with leading chainsets competing in the BHPC race
series this year.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I got the envelope out and you are correct. OTOH this means a coefficient of friction of 1. That
> makes it worse than an extremely hairy angle.
>
> Where do you get 45 degrees from?

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/

Subject: 9.15 Descending II

"... For smooth tires on pavement, slipout occurs at slightly less than 45 degrees from the road
surface and is both precipitous and unrecoverable. Although knobby tires have a less sudden slipout
and can be drifted around curves, they begin to side-slip at a more upright angle as their tread
fingers walk rather than slip. For this reason, knobby tires cannot achieve lean angles of smooth
tires and offer no cornering advantage on pavement ..."

--
Dave...

"Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've just worked out what the numbers at the start of this post mean. Given that there are far
> less bikes than cars, and also given that the bike numbers show injuries on "shared use" paths,
> they show that bike riders on shared use paths are not being careful enough to avoid injuring
> their less well protected path sharers. This must mean that they're all a buch of unfeeling
> bastards who out to have their goolies sandpapered. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

Or it could show that pedestrians on shared use pathways behave differently to pedestrians on
pavements, e.g. sidestepping without looking - and on shared use paths a 2 foot sidestep can bung
you bang in front of a cyclist, where as a similar step off a pavement would rarely bring you in
front of a car - drivers (and cyclists in the primary position) leave a gap to the kerb. There is
also another variable in that cycles are far more quiet than cars, and as such a valuable cue that
warns of the approach of cars*, so pedestrians are again less likely to randomly move in front of
a vehicle.

The figures showing injuries caused by cyclists are depressingly high, but I think that the
circumstances are such that a direct comparison with injuries caused by cars is not easily
accomplished.

Eddie

*I was reading a report that says that tyre noise is becoming the main component of noise from a
normal domestic car, and that some manufacturers (Michelin was the one I read about) are spending a
fortune on analysing the road/tyre interface, and hope to reduce the noise considerably.

Frobnitz wrote:

> *I was reading a report that says that tyre noise is becoming the main component of noise from a
> normal domestic car, and that some manufacturers (Michelin was the one I read about) are spending
> a fortune on analysing the road/tyre interface, and hope to reduce the noise considerably.

This I think is true, and also seems to depend on the road surface. Truck tyres on German roads
produce a peculiar high-pitched whine which is audible much further from the road than the engine
noise, for example.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > I got the envelope out and you are correct. OTOH this means a coefficient of friction of 1. That
> > makes it worse than an extremely hairy angle.
> >
> > Where do you get 45 degrees from?
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part5/
>
> Subject: 9.15 Descending II
>
> "... For smooth tires on pavement, slipout occurs at slightly less than 45 degrees from the road
> surface and is both precipitous and unrecoverable.

Well that certainly sounds like "worse than extremely hairy".

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I also very much doubt that any collision would occur because, as has been repeatedly pointed out,
> the cyclist is narrower, and it is easier for a cyclist to move sideways by the margin necessary
> to avoid someone in the road.

I've been following this thread with interest but have been reluctant to wade in, because I'm really
not sure where my opinions lie.

I'm not entirely convinced that the front of a bike is less pedestrian friendly than the front of an
average car. Sure, most 2WD drive cars these days are supposed to be designed to scoop up peds and
to have a minimum of protrusions, but the bumper's still ideally positioned to break a leg.

And although I'm confident that a bike is much more maneouvrable than a car, as well as being much
narrower and having significantly less kinetic energy, the point that's nagging away at me (and that
I haven't seen made yet) is that you can never be sure which way the ped will jump.

Anyway, reading the latest today I suddenly remembered the incident a couple of years ago when a
pensioner was hit by a cyclist on Bathwick Hill in Bath. From the description it would seem quite
clear that the pensioner was at fault, if not for the fact that peds always have right of way. I'm
not even sure how relevant it is here, but the time seems right to bring it up.

There was a thread about it here in May 2002, headed "Bath Chronicle news story ...". And a Google
search found that there's more information at
http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/justice.html (everything between here and my .sig is
pasted from Bikezone):

The case of Richard Brady.

As Richard Brady, an international triathlete, approached a central traffic island on Bathwick Hill
in bath 66 year old Sonia Tuckett and her husband Philip stepped into the road. Brady and Mrs
Tuckett collided and Brady was thrown off his bike and hit a parked van. His £1600 cycle was written
off and Mrs Tuckett suffered serious injuries requiring 4 weeks in hospital.

The magistrates argued that Brady was 'on a high quality cycle' and could have taken action to avoid
the collision. He was found guilty of careless cycling, fined £100 and ordered to pay £100 costs.
The verdict also left Brady open to a private prosecution for damages.

The prosecutor, Karen Boyes, argued that although Tuckett has stepped into the path of the cyclist,
the speed the cyclist was travelling meant 'he was unable to swerve out of the way'. Tuckett had
claimed they had "looked carefully before crossing" and that "there was no traffic either way".

Brady, said: "I was expecting that they would see me and realise it was my right of way, as if I was
a car. As I continued down the hill the person stepped out in front of me at which point I had very
little time to stop or move out of the way."

When Mrs Boyes asked if he made allowance for the possibility that Mrs Tuckett would step out, he
replied: "I was cycling as I always cycle down that hill. I was already slowing down."

Defence solicitor Harriet Heard said: "This isn't a pedestrian crossing. It is whether a cyclist
would expect to have his right of way respected. His evidence is that he had every reason to expect
Mrs Tuckett would stop."

Chairman of the bench John Price said the the accident could have been avoided. "He saw them cross
the road. He knew a danger existed. He did not exercise due care."

After the hearing, Mrs Tuckett said she hoped it would be a warning to other cyclists. She said she
was planning to sue Mr Brady for compensation through the civil courts, and was writing to Bath MP
Don Foster calling for compulsory insurance for cyclists.

This case seems to argue that it is the duty of a cyclists to ride no faster then a speed that
allows them to 'swerve out of the way' of errant pedestrians who step into their path, even if they
are not using a recognised pedestrian crossing. Much was made of the 'speed' of the cyclist,
suggesting that the law feels what is an acceptable speed for a cyclists is much less then that
which is acceptable for a motor vehicle, even though the motor vehicle presents a much greater
danger due to its size and weight. Most fundamentally, it also suggests that the courts feel that
cyclist on seeing a potential hazard (perhaps a group of school children on the footpath, or someone
looking as if they might be waiting to cross the road) should modify their behaviour to take in to
account the fact the pedestrian might fail to take an observation and step into their path. It may
well be that such a position has merit. However, it is certainly not applied to the drivers of motor
vehicles. Also, if a cyclist had swerved into the path of a motor vehicle, for example when exiting
a cycle path, it is almost certainly the case that a driver would not be held responsible on the
basis they should have assumed that the cyclists might well act in such a manner. Consequently it
seems cyclists may well be held to be responsible for the errors of third parties, even though even
a speeding driver will be held to be free of any blame should they hit and kill someone who steps
into their path and drivers frequently escape prosecution even when they have failed to modify their
behaviour in response to a hazard caused by others.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

"W K" <[email protected]> writes:

> A cyclists radar reflectivity isn't going to be too good either, and the spokes will be giving
> radar reflections at all sorts of speeds - apparently they have to have several consistent speeds
> (over fractions of a second mind you) before they flash.

I once managed to set off a speed camera on the Archway Road in London. I think it was the laptop in
my rucksack that gave me enough radar signal, it was probably at just the right angle. I never
managed a repeat, despite many attempts :). Its pretty easy to get over 35 down there.

Ian

Imagine we're going to introduce speed limits for bikes. First of all we'd have to put speedometers
on every bike. They'd have to be visible at night
- at present most aren't, probably because it would use too much power. And bicycle mechanics would
have to be officially sanctioned to calibrate them. Lots of installations are wildly inaccurate -
just look at some of the average speeds posted on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:50:13 +0000, Trevor Barton wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:47:20 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:16:17 +0000, Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> <[email protected]>:
>>
>>>So bikes, which comprise far less than 1 in 28 of total traffic, account for 1 in 28 of total
>>>injuries? Mmmm, how safe is that then?

A better example might have bean pedestrian deaths due to collisions with cyclists. Off the top of
my head it runs at <10 a year, compared to 1000 or so pedestrian deaths due to collisions with motor
vehicles. When you correct for the fact that a disproportionate amount of motor vehicle miles are on
pedestrian-free roads - I'm pretty sure bikes come out ahead - but are not harmless.

> [...]
>>>injury.
>>
>> I very much doubt that I would kill her, and I doubt even more that you would find me doing 30mph
>> - on bike or in car - on a road where there are children about.
>
> How do you know she's about? Because you saw her? Are you suggesting somehow that there are always
> warnings about that there might be a kid on the road ahead of you?
>
>> I also very much doubt that any collision would occur because, as has been repeatedly pointed
>> out, the cyclist is narrower, and it is easier for a cyclist to move sideways by the margin
>> necessary to avoid someone in the road.
>
> But Paul Shithead is a skilled and experienced driver. He also doubts that any collision would
> occur, because he's skilled enough to avoid one. Why are your skills and judgment so much better

It's not a matter of skills and judgment. The other day, I followed a taxi through a crossing
(lights on green) at the speed limit that was 20mph. I was about 20 feet behind the taxi, and as
soon as it cleared the crossing lots of pedestrians started to cross the road from both sides. I
managed to steer a course between them but there wasn't much space. Had I been driving a car, I
would have hit at least two people - one on each side. Of course, had I been driving a car all those
people wouldn't have stepped out a few feet in front of me.

>>>The fact that it may or may not be less severe than that done by a car is *absolutely* not
>>>relevant. You will be just as culpable as a car driver. Presumably, though, you'd feel less so,
>>>because you feel you have physics, and the letter of the law, on your side.
>>
>> Ludicrous. If I ever hit anyone on my bike I would feel no less cuplable than if I hit them in my
>> car. For the low-down on just how responsible and culpable drivers can feel see Helen's "lost for
>> words" thread below.
>
> No. For a low down on how one driver feels, perhaps. I wont attempt to argue that that person is
> unique, because they're not. You do nothing at all for the justification of your arguments by
> holding out the bad examples of motoring behaviour and saying "Look at this person, aren't all
> motorists a bunch of bastards?" You could equally point out all the cases of domestic violence
> around the country and point out "Look at that person, aren't all men bastards?" or "look at that
> rejected assylum seeker, aren't all assylum seekers scrounging bastards?". It doesn't make for a
> balanced argument. And without a balanced argument you risk putting yourself into the same pot as
> P Shithead.
>
> I've just worked out what the numbers at the start of this post mean. Given that there are far
> less bikes than cars, and also given that the bike numbers show injuries on "shared use" paths,
> they show that bike riders on shared use paths are not being careful enough to avoid injuring
> their less well protected path sharers.

IMO it's not possible to ride on a shared path safely. People are just too unpredictable - they
sidestep without warning; kids run about; they won't keep to the left - or are pedestrians meant to
walk on the RHS of the pavement? I can never remember. I've even seen people walk into one another -
no vehicles involved. Replace one of these inconsiderate pedestrians with an inconsiderate cyclist
going at 8mph and instead of an 'excuse me', both parties may end up in hospital.

I was hit once by a cyclist whilst walking on the pavement - he emerged from behind a brick wall at
little more than walking pace.

> This must mean that they're all a buch of unfeeling bastards who out to have their goolies
> sandpapered. Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

Lots of cyclists are... I think it's a disease of the young - round here all cyclists (to a first
approximation) are students. The same people as can't get car insurance for less than a grand a year
because of their statistical propensity to recklessness.

Obviously I don't consider myself an inconsiderate cyclist (who does)... When I used to ride on shared-
use paths regularly, it was because it took me a while to twig just how dangerous they are and think
about all the unexpected ways in which accidents can happen. If I cycle through the park, I try to
pass pedestrians by 3 feet - more if I'm going faster.

anonymous coward wrote:
> Lots of installations are wildly inaccurate - just look at some of the average speeds posted on
> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

Can you justify that comment? You almost seem to be suggesting that if someone's computer records
higher speeds than yours it must mean that their computer is incorrectly calibrated. Perhaps it's
just that the bikes really are faster.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in news:c1j040$9bp$1
@news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

> Most fundamentally, it also suggests that the courts feel that cyclist on seeing a potential
> hazard (perhaps a group of school children on the footpath, or someone looking as if they might be
> waiting to cross the road) should modify their behaviour to take in to account the fact the
> pedestrian might fail to take an observation and step into their path.

I know I modify my behaviour, but that usually means covering the brakes (if they weren't already),
perhaps moving further out from the side of the road, checking if there is space for me to swerve
around them if they do step out, making sure there's nobody going to run in to the back of me if I
haul on the anchors etc.

Perhaps the behaviour modification that you're concerned about is the implication that you should
slow down to a virtual crawl in every such situations. I can't see anyone really agreeing to that,
regardless of their mode of transport or the laudability of the sentiment.

Graeme

anonymous coward <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> A better example might have bean pedestrian deaths due to collisions with cyclists. Off the top of
> my head it runs at <10 a year, compared to 1000 or so pedestrian deaths due to collisions with
> motor vehicles. When you correct for the fact that a disproportionate amount of motor vehicle
> miles are on pedestrian-free roads - I'm pretty sure bikes come out ahead - but are not harmless.

Indeed I've done the analysis from RAGB data and the cyclist is 1/2 as likely per mile travelled to
be involved in a pedestrian fatality accident as a motorist, and 1/10 as likely as a motorcyclist
(and 1/14 as likely as a bus driver).

The child data show different results, perhaps because:

1) Child pedestrians interact with child cyclists.

2) Off road incidents on shared use paths.

Simon

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> If anyone is cycling in that area and they fancy stopping for a cuppa at my place (on a small road
> between Blanchland and Rookhope) then just let us know by email beforehand and if I'm in you'd be
> most welcome to stop by. I should also promote the White Monk tearooms down in Blanchland as a stop---
> though avoid summer weekends.

So you can't be far from that wonderfully named place - "Dead Friars"!

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:56:45 +0000, Danny Colyer wrote:

> anonymous coward wrote:
>> Lots of installations are wildly inaccurate - just look at some of the average speeds posted on
>> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.
>
> Can you justify that comment?

No - not on an individual basis. But Google the list and you'll find the same sentiment expressed
there from time to time. I wouldn't be surprised if my bike was 10% out or more - tiny wheels,
variable pressure in the tyres etc etc.

> You almost seem to be suggesting that if someone's computer records higher speeds than yours it
> must mean that their computer is incorrectly calibrated. Perhaps it's just that the bikes really
> are faster.

This wasn't my intention - especially as I prefer recumbents myself. Though IMO the speed thing is a
bit of a red-herring. For me, the 'recumbent advantage' is in the comfort & fun factors - not the
aerodynamic one. I'll admit that it was the promise of higher speeds with less effort that got me
into recumbents, though.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:47:28 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]>:

>1. All my recumbents have a chainguard of the sort pictured here:
> http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/spm/index_e.html, and

I tried to buy one at York last year but nobody seemed interested.

--
Guy
===

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:20:10 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]>:

>most 2WD drive cars these days are supposed to be designed to scoop up peds and to have a minimum
>of protrusions, but the bumper's still ideally positioned to break a leg.

Which is indeed the single largest figure in the table: fracture of lower leg including ankle.

--
Guy
===