Speeding cyclists

James Hodson <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:39 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote:

> [SNIP]

> >Lobby your Council for grade separated crossings.

> Hi Mike

> What is a grade separated crossing?

> James

Something to be rejected!

A subway or footbridge, so that pedestrians, travelling with no assistance have to waste energy
climbing and descending ramps, usually taking an unnecessarily long route for the conveience of
wheeled and motorised road-users.

Fit pedestrians frequently jump over guard rails to avoid them, occasionally getting killed by
murderists. One 'grade-separated' crossing I know (at the A406/A502 crossroads in North-West London)
has a footbridge which is EIGHT times as long as crossing on the level.

Grade-separated crossings are HORRIBLE!

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:20:53 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>James Hodson <[email protected]>typed
>

>> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:39 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote:
>
>> [SNIP]
>
>> >Lobby your Council for grade separated crossings.
>
>> Hi Mike
>
>> What is a grade separated crossing?
>
>> James
>
>Something to be rejected!
>
>A subway or footbridge, so that pedestrians, travelling with no assistance have to waste energy
>climbing and descending ramps, usually taking an unnecessarily long route for the conveience of
>wheeled and motorised road-users.
>
>Fit pedestrians frequently jump over guard rails to avoid them, occasionally getting killed by
>murderists. One 'grade-separated' crossing I know (at the A406/A502 crossroads in North-West
>London) has a footbridge which is EIGHT times as long as crossing on the level.
>
>Grade-separated crossings are HORRIBLE!

I'd amend that to

grade-sparated crossings are HORRIBLE, unless it's the motorists who have to negotiate the
ganges of grade.

I'm fine with the road being sent down a tunnell, through an underpass, or up over a bridge.

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Something to be rejected!
>
>A subway or footbridge, so that pedestrians, travelling with no assistance have to waste energy
>climbing and descending ramps, usually taking an unnecessarily long route for the conveience of
>wheeled and motorised road-users.

Hi Helen

A reasonably complex term for a simple crossing.

The only one of these things I have ever used is one where I hacked up and bounced down a stepped
footbridge across the A259.

As you say: they're to be avoided.

James

Gawnsoft <[email protected]>typed

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:20:53 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote (more
> or less):

> >James Hodson <[email protected]>typed
> >

> >> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:39 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote:
> >
> >> [SNIP]

> I'm fine with the road being sent down a tunnell, through an underpass, or up over a bridge.

The proposition has been rejected on the grounds of cost.

Let's just shepherd the pedestrians into horrid subways and footbridges on the grounds of safety...

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:44:03 GMT, Trevor Barton <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Why do you persist in your misunderstanding of the word
:calibrated?

Sorry, I'm just using it as defined in a dictionary !

--
Comm again, Mike.

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:30:21 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:39 GMT,
:[email protected] )(pmailkeey) wrote: )
:)[SNIP] ) )>Lobby your Council for grade separated
:crossings. ) )Hi Mike ) )What is a grade separated
:crossing?

Different height - using underpasses & bridges.

Council technojargon, I think !
--
Comm again, Mike.

<[email protected]> wrote:

:)James Hodson <[email protected]>typed
:) ) )> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:02:39 GMT,
:[email protected] )> (pmailkeey) wrote: ) )>
:[SNIP] ) )> >Lobby your Council for grade separated
:crossings. ) ) )Grade-separated crossings are HORRIBLE! )

No they're not. It's just the design of some that's
horrible !
--
Comm again, Mike.

pmailkeey <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:44:03 GMT, Trevor Barton
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>:)Why do you persist in your misunderstanding of the word
>:calibrated?
>
> Sorry, I'm just using it as defined in a dictionary !

Sigh. Back again?

That would be one of: "calibrate": (2) to mark (the scale of
a measuring instrument) so that readings can be made in
appropriate units. (3) to determine the accuracy of (a
measuring instrument, etc.).

That's verbatim from Collins 2 ed, and I left out 1 and 4
which were explicitely to do with guns and artillery.

Where in that dictionary definition does it mention
certificates, annual calibration, or absolute accuracy? My
watch is calibrated, because I know it's absolute accuracy.
It tells me the actual real absolute time in GMT at the
moment to within an accuracy of plus or minus 5 minutes.
Within both those definitions, a speedo is calibrated.

If you're going to quote a dictionary it's generally a good
idea to actually read one first.

--
Trevor Barton

Trevor Barton wrote:
> If you're going to quote a dictionary it's generally a
> good idea to actually read one first.

It's all very well him looking up the definition of the word
'calibrate' but it sounds to me like he also needs to learn
the definitions of the words 'accurate' and 'precise' and
realise that there is a difference between the two.

d.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:03:53 +0000, Trevor Barton
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>If you're going to quote a dictionary it's generally a good
>idea to actually read one first.

I read one once. Very dull.

--
Guy
===

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:02:25 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>
>wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> I read one once. Very dull.
>
>Yeah, **** plot, but at least the author explained all the
>long words I didn't know (and a few thousand that I did)

The zymurgist did it.

IGMC.

--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:03:53 +0000, Trevor Barton
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>If you're going to quote a dictionary it's generally a
>>good idea to actually read one first.
>
> I read one once. Very dull.

Oh, I don't know, I knew a bloke who read one on the dunny
every day. He was extremely erudite in the 6th form. Ended
up as a psychiatric nurse, though.

--
Trevor Barton

Yes, I did grow up in Australia, and so at that time it
was a dunny.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:03:53 +0000, Trevor Barton
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> If you're going to quote a dictionary it's generally a
>> good idea to actually read one first.
>
> I read one once. Very dull.

I gave up after the first twenty-odd pages. I'm waiting for
the film version...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/