Speeding...

topcat

Jun 26, 2004
I was just wondering, have any of you ever been stopped for speeding??

thx for your replies....

topcat said:

thx for your replies....
No. But I would like to go past a speed camera at over 35mph in a 30 mph zone. No number plate means no fine..................unless theres some cop like creature involved.

Claud Butter said:
No. But I would like to go past a speed camera at over 35mph in a 30 mph zone. No number plate means no fine..................unless theres some cop like creature involved.

i was thinking the same thing....

this may sound silly but could you get any points on your drivers licence if you got caught speeding on a bike, even though obviously you dont need a licence to ride a bike?

l1ncs said:
this may sound silly but could you get any points on your drivers licence if you got caught speeding on a bike, even though obviously you dont need a licence to ride a bike?

Well today i was in richmond park, sw london and the speed limit is 20mph and i was goin way over that on a flat and the police where hiding behind this tree and i saw them at the last minute and they both looked at me but they did'nt gesture or say anything, but about the license thing, i dont think they'd put points on your drivers license.

topcat said:

thx for your replies....
The local police enforce the speed laws very strictly in my development due to numerous complaints by residents. The speed limit is 25 mph, and I regularly come down the main street in the development at 32 mph. :D

topcat said:

thx for your replies....
no, but if there was a police car watching for speeders on the road where i hit 60mph, i would surely get a ticket. the speed limit is 25mph on that hill, it's a residential area.

velomanct said:
no, but if there was a police car watching for speeders on the road where i hit 60mph, i would surely get a ticket. the speed limit is 25mph on that hill, it's a residential area.
Hopefully you'll get a ticket and learn your lesson before you knock over and gravely injure a child in that residential area then.
Idiot.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Hopefully you'll get a ticket and learn your lesson before you knock over and gravely injure a child in that residential area then.
Idiot.
I largely agree with your ire, but I wonder just how residential the area is... Speeding limits are often inappropriate to the way the road is used. Some are too fast, and some are too slow.

Anyway, whats the difference in having a speed limit when a lot of car drivers are half asleep in their armchairs with eyes and concentration locked onto the cars immediately in front, to the detriment of everything else.

My personal rant is cyclists who don't obay traffic lights of raod markings / lane discipline.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Idiot.
by residential, i mean houses lining the road. there are not any children playing near the road.
i have seen guys drive their muscle cars up the hill at easily over 60mph.

besides, if i see something in the road i go around it, i don't aim for it. what do you expect, i'm 19. i am not going to use my brakes when bombing down a 12% grade on my road bike. driving a car is different, i would go much slower.

Forget the whole drivers liscene thing ok - you wont get points on it for going down a hill at even 80mph on a bike on one wheel with your eyes closed.You might get arrested , but it wont have anything to do with your liscence to drive a car.

Velo - houses line the road - its residential - kids might be about you cant see.If there are houses there , its a big risk , not to mention someone could open a car door on you and whack , dead Velo.
Kids tend not to be seen and can do really unpredictable things like step out into a road whilst unsighted - they wont even see or hear you coming.

I know youre only 19 but listen , dont be a ****.Doing 60 down a steep hill in a 30 residential zone with houses is stupid for you and pedestrians.

Use your brakes - its perfectly safe , trust me , even if its a 20% gradient.What do you think pros do when bombing down an Alpe at 70 approaching a hairpin? They use their brakes.

Find a non-residential area to practise with the speed-tuck , cyclists get a bad enough name for jumping reds , god only knows what your neighbourhood will think of them if a kid gets run over by one at 60.

Roadrash Dunc said:
Forget the whole drivers liscene thing ok - you wont get points on it for going down a hill at even 80mph on a bike on one wheel with your eyes closed.You might get arrested , but it wont have anything to do with your liscence to drive a car.

Velo - houses line the road - its residential - kids might be about you cant see.If there are houses there , its a big risk , not to mention someone could open a car door on you and whack , dead Velo.
Kids tend not to be seen and can do really unpredictable things like step out into a road whilst unsighted - they wont even see or hear you coming.

I know youre only 19 but listen , dont be a ****.Doing 60 down a steep hill in a 30 residential zone with houses is stupid for you and pedestrians.

Use your brakes - its perfectly safe , trust me , even if its a 20% gradient.What do you think pros do when bombing down an Alpe at 70 approaching a hairpin? They use their brakes.

Find a non-residential area to practise with the speed-tuck , cyclists get a bad enough name for jumping reds , god only knows what your neighbourhood will think of them if a kid gets run over by one at 60.
In the US, you could in fact be assessed points for exceeding the speed limit on your bike.

True story. Back in high school, A friend of mine adn his girlfriend "borrowed" a couple of road barricades and put them in a freind's yard, and were caught by the police.

She was unable to drive due to a medical condition, but the police created a driver's record for her so they could assess points for tampering with a roadway sign.

Matt

MattLarson said:
In the US, you could in fact be assessed points for exceeding the speed limit on your bike.

True story. Back in high school, A friend of mine adn his girlfriend "borrowed" a couple of road barricades and put them in a freind's yard, and were caught by the police.

She was unable to drive due to a medical condition, but the police created a driver's record for her so they could assess points for tampering with a roadway sign.

Matt

you can get point in Australia as well. I have been formally cautioned for exceding the speed limit on a bike (62km in a 50km), the copper was also a rider so i got lucky.

Not that long ago a guy in South Australia got done for Driving under the Influence (ie drunk) and lost his drivers licence. The funny thing was he was on his bike and was riding because he was drunk and had to get to work. :rolleyes:

Veloflash, 62 mph in any built up area on a bicycle is extreme risk taking. Bike brakes are **** compared to car brakes, and on a 12% hill I imagine a car would take quite some more time to stop than normal (like 80-100 m). I was going down a 2% gradient at 52 km/hr and my rear brake levers ripped right off when I attempted to brake hard (granted brakes not in the best condition!) At 62 mph down a 12% gradient, you couldn't stop period, or even slow down. If you keep on doing it you pray somebody doesn't step out in front of you because most pedestrians severely underestimate the speed of bicycles. I know, I've hit one and nearly missed 4 others at 40-50 km/hr.

bikeguy said:
Veloflash, 62 mph in any built up area on a bicycle is extreme risk taking. Bike brakes are **** compared to car brakes, and on a 12% hill I imagine a car would take quite some more time to stop than normal (like 80-100 m). I was going down a 2% gradient at 52 km/hr and my rear brake levers ripped right off when I attempted to brake hard (granted brakes not in the best condition!) At 62 mph down a 12% gradient, you couldn't stop period, or even slow down. If you keep on doing it you pray somebody doesn't step out in front of you because most pedestrians severely underestimate the speed of bicycles. I know, I've hit one and nearly missed 4 others at 40-50 km/hr.
i should mention i go down this hill about twice a year, not every day. at the bottom there is a stop sign about 300 feet after i hit top speed. i can stop within that distance(it's a busy intersection so i have to). there is no way a car could slow down that quick. i also don't go by parked cars at a distance of 2 feet, asking to get doored.

i guess i shouldn't have mentioned it was a residential area, because no one would
have replied to my original post.

BTW, i have been in much dangerous situations during races. what do i do about the little kids lining the road watching the race go by at 35mph (litchfield hills circuit race CT) they could easily step out into the road and hit by the racers.
the hill that i rode down at 60mph has no little kids playing near the road. i have a clear view and i can easily avoid anything in my path.

For your info, a car with good brakes can go 100-0 km/hr in around 30 metres. That's 100 ft on flat road and with good dry conditions. Bicycles have way worse brakes then cars, particularly at higher speeds. Motorcycles have shorter braking distances than cars.

All I can say I wouldn't go 50 km/hr down that hill, let alone 95.

bikeguy said:
For your info, a car with good brakes can go 100-0 km/hr in around 30 metres. That's 100 ft on flat road and with good dry conditions. Bicycles have way worse brakes then cars, particularly at higher speeds. Motorcycles have shorter braking distances than cars.

All I can say I wouldn't go 50 km/hr down that hill, let alone 95.

WOW! 100-0km/hr in 30m would be some crazy nice brakes. :)

Road & Track and Motortrends have stopping distances for cars. Most newer, lighter economy cars can go 100 km/hr-0 in about 120 ft. The Toyota MR2 Spider can stop in 108 ft. Of course, stopping distance depends on reaction time as well. :) A car can lock it's wheels up fast even at 100 km/hr, a bicycle, haha.. just try sliding across pavement with locked wheels at 80 km/hr.

Back to the topic at hand, yes - I was stopped this summer for 38 in a 25 on my bike by a Park Police officer. It was not a park road, but a back road with almost no traffic (often I only see a car every 2-3 times I do this ride). The road is slightly downhill, and slightly twisty. In a car you have to go slow because the lane is narrow and you have to follow the road closely, but on a bike you can pretty much ride in a straight line and not go out of your lane.

No ticket or anything, just a silly lecture. The annoying part was him following 3" behind me then blasting his siren. "WHOOP WHOOP". Just about gave me a coronary. Speaking of coronaries, the cop was around 5'9 and 300 lbs.