Speedmachine on ebay this morning

Simon Brooke

Guest
No, of course it isn't mine (I don't yet have a bent) and I wouldn't be telling you about it if I
could afford to bid at the moment... It's even black, the proper colour for a gentleman's bicycle.

<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662634538&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:UK:1>

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the
1% of browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

Simon Brooke wrote:
> No, of course it isn't mine (I don't yet have a bent) and I wouldn't be telling you about it if I
> could afford to bid at the moment...

Note that it's actually a Streetmachine GT. The Speedmachine is rather hotter, but not so good for
loads and relaxed touring See http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/ for more details.

> It's even black, the proper colour for a gentleman's bicycle.

Quite possible it's actually dark blue, which is one of the two colours available as standard on the
SMGT. You can specify any RAL colour you like on a new one, but as this costs Real Money in practice
they tend to be midnight blue or bright orange.

Being the owner of a Streetmachine GT (but with V brakes rather than discs and an older, inferior
front fork) and a very happy one at that I can vouch for it being a great bike, at least from my
point of view. But I think that 'bents should really be ridden before you lay your money down, but
there again, if it's enough of a bargain do you take the risk...? Your call!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On 23/2/04 1:48 pm, in article [email protected], "Peter Clinch"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Being the owner of a Streetmachine GT (but with V brakes rather than discs and an older, inferior
> front fork) and a very happy one at that I can vouch for it being a great bike, at least from my
> point of view.

It certainly looks nice. My daughter thinks Pete's SMGT (the sitting down bike) is really cool, even
if it is a nice shade of orange.

..d

> Being the owner of a Streetmachine GT (but with V brakes rather than discs and an older, inferior
> front fork) and a very happy one at that I can vouch for it being a great bike, at least from my
> point of view.

Even though I've only had mine a couple of weeks, I've become more than somewhat attached to it -
it's a wonderful machine. You have to develop a relaxed attitude to strangers coming up to you and
grilling you about it's abilities, and various comments yelled from the roadside (18 saying it was
cool, and one which I think was saying it looked like a tanker, although I was going a tad fast and
my have misheard). Load carrying is amazing - I strapped a couple of relatively small UPS units to
the back rack (a mere 15Kgs of so), and the bikes handling was so little affected /when cycling/
(pushing was a different matter) I was wondering if they had fallen off......

I'm going to stop wittering now. Sorry, but the Streetmachine has turned me into a
recumbent advocate.

Frobnitz wrote:

> Even though I've only had mine a couple of weeks, I've become more than somewhat attached to it -
> it's a wonderful machine.
>
> I'm going to stop wittering now. Sorry, but the Streetmachine has turned me into a recumbent
> advocate.

Start saving for that third wheel ;-)

John B

Frobnitz wrote:

> Load carrying is amazing - I strapped a couple of relatively small UPS units to the back rack (a
> mere 15Kgs of so), and the bikes handling was so little affected /when cycling/ (pushing was a
> different matter) I was wondering if they had fallen off......

Hi Eddie, do you have the lowrider rack as well as the rear? Obviously you need panniers to take the
loads there, but with the weight below you and between the wheels then the effect on the handling is
pretty much non-existent, noticeably better than the (already good) behaviour of heavy stuff behind.

> I'm going to stop wittering now. Sorry, but the Streetmachine has turned me into a recumbent
> advocate.

Oh god, not another one! *Awful* people... ;-)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> Hi Eddie, do you have the lowrider rack as well as the rear?

Alas no - it was on the wish list, but bathroom upgrades got progressively more expensive, (and
progressively necessary), and unfortunately more priority. I've got it pencilled in for the late
summer upgrade season, along with one or two other toys.

> Obviously you need panniers to take the loads there, but with the weight below you and between the
> wheels then the effect on the handling is pretty much non-existent, noticeably better than the
> (already good) behaviour of heavy stuff behind.

I really am looking forward to loading it to the rafters and going touring. It's just such /fun/.
Out for a spin on Saturday, this older guy with (I presume) grandchildren said "look at this chap -
he couldn't decide whether to stay in bed or go for a ride. So he did both" - which kind of sums it
up for me, drifting along in dreamy comfort, totally relaxed and coddled.

> > a recumbent advocate.
>
> Oh god, not another one! *Awful* people... ;-)

I know. But it is fun, having people looking down on you all the time.

"JohnB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I'm going to stop wittering now. Sorry, but the Streetmachine has
turned me
> > into a recumbent advocate.
>
> Start saving for that third wheel ;-)

I'm afraid that's going to have to wait until after I've saved for a new house. Two bikes is more
than enough for one small (very small) flat.