Speedmachine Spokes

PhilO

Guest
I found a broken spoke on the front wheel of the Speedmachine which
means it's at home and I'm away. Any chance anyone knows what length of
spoke I'll need. I'm out in the wilds and won't be able to get to it
for a few days, so I hoped somebody might know.

Thanks

Phil

PhilO wrote:
> I found a broken spoke on the front wheel of the Speedmachine which
> means it's at home and I'm away. Any chance anyone knows what length
> of spoke I'll need. I'm out in the wilds and won't be able to get to
> it for a few days, so I hoped somebody might know.

Two questions spring, fully-formed, to mind:

o Which rim & hub, and
o Brake or non-brake side

??

I can measure mine this evening (mine is also at home today), but my answer
may not be 100% accurate for your bike.

--
Dave Larrington
It would appear apparent, to me at least, that dinosaurs were

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Two questions spring, fully-formed, to mind:
>
> o Which rim & hub, and
> o Brake or non-brake side
>
> ??
>
> I can measure mine this evening (mine is also at home today), but my answer
> may not be 100% accurate for your bike.
>
> --

Inspirational - that's just given me the brilliant idea of phoning my
wife and asking her to measure it!

How does on measure a spoke - do you include the bend?

Thanks

PhilO

PhilO wrote:

> Inspirational - that's just given me the brilliant idea of phoning my
> wife and asking her to measure it!
>
> How does on measure a spoke - do you include the bend?

No. But a mm either way won't hurt.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> PhilO wrote:

> > How does on measure a spoke - do you include the bend?

> No. But a mm either way won't hurt.
>
> ..d

Thanks. Anyone know where I can get approx 180mm spokes from on-line?

PhilO

PhilO wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
>> PhilO wrote:

>>> How does on measure a spoke - do you include the bend?

>> No. But a mm either way won't hurt.
>>
>> ..d

> Thanks. Anyone know where I can get approx 180mm spokes from on-line?

St Johns Street cycles have them on their website.

A couple of guesses, though doubt the websites show them: the Folding Cycle
shop in Bath, and Spa Cycles in Harrogate.

And I'm sure there are many others.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

PhilO wrote on 17/08/2006 22:36 +0100:
> David Martin wrote:
>> PhilO wrote:

>>> How does on measure a spoke - do you include the bend?

>> No. But a mm either way won't hurt.
>>
>> ..d

> Thanks. Anyone know where I can get approx 180mm spokes from on-line?

SJS carry a wide range including a lot of unusual sizes
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC-British-made-14g-stainless-steel-plain-gauge-spokes-3145.htm

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:
> SJS carry a wide range including a lot of unusual sizes
> http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC-British-made-14g-stainless-steel-plain-gauge-spokes-3145.htm

Thanks - they do indeed have a good selection, but £3.50 postage for a
30p spoke is hard to bear,

In the end I happened to be in Glasgow this weekend so took the wheel
with me to Kinetics. Ben replaced the spoke, trued the wheel and gave
me a couple of spokes to take away with me as spares. All for no charge
- he wouldn't accept a penny. He did however let me buy a years supply
of computer batteries. Another glowing recommendation for Kinetics
service.

PhilO

PhilO wrote:

> In the end I happened to be in Glasgow this weekend so took the wheel
> with me to Kinetics. Ben replaced the spoke, trued the wheel and gave
> me a couple of spokes to take away with me as spares. All for no charge
> - he wouldn't accept a penny. He did however let me buy a years supply
> of computer batteries. Another glowing recommendation for Kinetics
> service.

Hmm.... Compare and contrast with Elyob's recent experience of Evans.
Ben obviously sees the value in promoting customer goodwill. Long may
he prosper.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> PhilO wrote:
>
>> In the end I happened to be in Glasgow this weekend so took the wheel
>> with me to Kinetics. Ben replaced the spoke, trued the wheel and gave
>> me a couple of spokes to take away with me as spares. All for no charge
>> - he wouldn't accept a penny. He did however let me buy a years supply
>> of computer batteries. Another glowing recommendation for Kinetics
>> service.

> Hmm.... Compare and contrast with Elyob's recent experience of Evans.
> Ben obviously sees the value in promoting customer goodwill. Long may
> he prosper.

Indeed. He /can/ be a bit lax on mail order turnaround if he's snowed
under (not entirely unlikely), but that's easy to forgive given the
excellent personal service, and it's nothing that a reminder doesn't get
sorted.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK