speedo/cadence display mounting

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Douglas Cole, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Douglas Cole

    Douglas Cole Guest

    Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
    cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.

    I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff, but
    now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
    sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).

    So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
    their sensors?

    tia for any input :)

    --
    Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

    > Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
    > cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.
    >
    > I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff,
    > but now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
    > sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).
    >
    > So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
    > their sensors?

    The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
    goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
    the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
    cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
    usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using telephone
    butt connectors from Radio Shack.

    Have fun!

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
    > The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
    > goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
    > the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
    > cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
    > usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using
    > telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.

    Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.

    I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further
    down the stem?

    Mikael

  4. Douglas Cole

    Douglas Cole Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
    >> The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
    >> goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
    >> the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
    >> cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
    >> usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using
    >> telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.
    >
    > Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
    >
    > I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further down
    > the stem?
    >
    > Mikael
    Thanks Guys for replying so fast, yes you are correct Mikael , it is the Astrale that I bought, and
    yes the cables are too short to mount on the H/B , that is why I was asking as I just couldn't seem
    to get a handle on what should work , though splicing the wires is do-able as I am a electronic
    technician and have had experience doing that sort of thing with wires the size of hairs... Just
    didn't want to void my warranty if I had to send it back.

    Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post will be close enough to the
    pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).

    Thanks again :)

    Rain pouring down in buckets 8^p

    --
    Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
    > > The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale...using telephone
    > > butt connectors from Radio Shack.
    >
    > Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
    >
    > I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further down
    > the stem?

    I wouldn't hesitate. Especially since I learned that I did not have to solderand could get
    durable connections with the telephone butt connectors. Maybe I am willing to live closer to the
    edge than you?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. "Douglas Cole" skrev

    > Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post will be close enough to the
    > pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).

    The sensor can be turned out quite a ways. Magnet goes on crankarm. Alternatively you can mount the
    magnet on a chainring. The distance from ring to post is shorter.

    Regards Mikael

  7. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

    >I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate.

    I've spliced several bike computer wires without problems. But you do need a mini soldering iron,
    flux core solder and a delicate touch to strip the wires. I slide heat shrink over the wires before
    I join them. One large piece over both wires, then a small piece for each join. Shrink the joins,
    then slide the large piece up over both joins and shrink it. For absolute waterproofing, smear some
    silicone into the ends of the shrink tube. The heat shrink tube (about 3 cms), provides support and
    strength to the join.

    Paul W - MR Swift Trike

  8. I installed Astrales out of the box on a small-medium GRR and a medium-large Ti Rush. No problem
    with either.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Douglas Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mikael Seierup wrote:
    >

    > > "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
    > >> The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence
    > >> sensor goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout
    > >> display goes on the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you
    > >> need to extend the cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that
    > >> headphone cables are usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I
    > >> have been using telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.
    > >
    > > Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further
    > > down the stem?
    > >
    > > Mikael
    > Thanks Guys for replying so fast, yes you are correct Mikael , it is the Astrale that I bought,
    > and yes the cables are too short to mount on the
    H/B
    > , that is why I was asking as I just couldn't seem to get a handle on what should work , though
    > splicing the wires is do-able as I am a electronic technician and have had experience doing that
    > sort of thing with wires the size of hairs... Just didn't want to void my warranty if I had to
    > send it back.
    >
    > Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post
    will
    > be close enough to the pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).
    >
    > Thanks again :)
    >

    > Rain pouring down in buckets 8^p
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

  9. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
    > cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.
    >
    > I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff,
    > but now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
    > sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).
    >
    > So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
    > their sensors?
    >
    > tia for any input :)

    I also use an Astrale (cc-cd100). Out of the box I found the Astrale's wiring harness is a bit short
    for my Trice Micro. Cateye offers a "tandem length" harness. It's length (over 72") allows me to
    have the speed sensor on the rear wheel, and the candence sensor up front.

    The tandem length is a special order item from a LBS, but worth the wait (no splicing!)

  10. Rod Dabe

    Rod Dabe Guest

    I installed my Astrale on my Taiko without having to add any wire. Mounted the cadence sensor on the
    main tube ahead of the bottom bracket on the left side. I cut the mount off the sensor and glued it
    to a block of closed cell foam to shim it out to the proper distance.

    Rod

  11. Bear in mind that the Astrale's wires are very fine co-ax and therefore not at all easy to splice.

    I am curious as to how it is that the wire is too short, though, unless Douglas is infeasibly
    tall. I have Astrales on my Baron - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/misc/Baron.htm - and
    Speedmachine - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/misc/Speedmachine.htm. Both have tiller steering
    and there's enough wire to reach a BB far enough away for a long-legged 6'3" rider. The speed
    sensor wire probably won't reach the rear wheel, but there's nothing to stop one from mounting it
    on the front wheel instead.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/