speedo/cadence display mounting

Douglas Cole

Guest
Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.

I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff, but
now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).

So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
their sensors?

tia for any input :)

--
Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

> Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
> cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.
>
> I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff,
> but now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
> sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).
>
> So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
> their sensors?

The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using telephone
butt connectors from Radio Shack.

Have fun!

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Cletus D. Lee" skrev
> The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
> goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
> the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
> cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
> usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using
> telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.

Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.

I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further
down the stem?

Mikael

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
>> The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence sensor
>> goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout display goes on
>> the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you need to extend the
>> cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that headphone cables are
>> usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I have been using
>> telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.
>
> Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
>
> I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further down
> the stem?
>
> Mikael
Thanks Guys for replying so fast, yes you are correct Mikael , it is the Astrale that I bought, and
yes the cables are too short to mount on the H/B , that is why I was asking as I just couldn't seem
to get a handle on what should work , though splicing the wires is do-able as I am a electronic
technician and have had experience doing that sort of thing with wires the size of hairs... Just
didn't want to void my warranty if I had to send it back.

Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post will be close enough to the
pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).

Thanks again :)

Rain pouring down in buckets 8^p

--
Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

> "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
> > The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale...using telephone
> > butt connectors from Radio Shack.
>
> Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
>
> I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further down
> the stem?

I wouldn't hesitate. Especially since I learned that I did not have to solderand could get
durable connections with the telephone butt connectors. Maybe I am willing to live closer to the
edge than you?

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Douglas Cole" skrev

> Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post will be close enough to the
> pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).

The sensor can be turned out quite a ways. Magnet goes on crankarm. Alternatively you can mount the
magnet on a chainring. The distance from ring to post is shorter.

Regards Mikael

>I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate.

I've spliced several bike computer wires without problems. But you do need a mini soldering iron,
flux core solder and a delicate touch to strip the wires. I slide heat shrink over the wires before
I join them. One large piece over both wires, then a small piece for each join. Shrink the joins,
then slide the large piece up over both joins and shrink it. For absolute waterproofing, smear some
silicone into the ends of the shrink tube. The heat shrink tube (about 3 cms), provides support and
strength to the join.

Paul W - MR Swift Trike

I installed Astrales out of the box on a small-medium GRR and a medium-large Ti Rush. No problem
with either.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Douglas Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mikael Seierup wrote:
>

> > "Cletus D. Lee" skrev
> >> The best computer with cadence for recumbents is probably the Cateye Astrale. The Cadence
> >> sensor goes on the derailleur post, the speed sensor goes on the front fork. The readout
> >> display goes on the H/B where you can switch display modes. If you do not have an Astrale, you
> >> need to extend the cable by splicing in additional wire of the necessary length. I find that
> >> headphone cables are usually the best wire to splice. I used to solder them but more recently I
> >> have been using telephone butt connectors from Radio Shack.
> >
> > Well, the cc-cd100 is actually the Astrale. And it does look like a stretch for a Taiko.
> >
> > I wouldn't try to splice the wires. They are pretty delicate. Maybe finaggle a mount further
> > down the stem?
> >
> > Mikael
> Thanks Guys for replying so fast, yes you are correct Mikael , it is the Astrale that I bought,
> and yes the cables are too short to mount on the
H/B
> , that is why I was asking as I just couldn't seem to get a handle on what should work , though
> splicing the wires is do-able as I am a electronic technician and have had experience doing that
> sort of thing with wires the size of hairs... Just didn't want to void my warranty if I had to
> send it back.
>
> Curious though how mounting the cadence sensor on the derailleure post
will
> be close enough to the pedal to get a signal (is it that sensitive?).
>
> Thanks again :)
>

> Rain pouring down in buckets 8^p
>
> --
> Douglas Cole http://www.users.qwest.net/~cdoug3 Registered Linux user # 188922

Douglas Cole <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, so I picked up a Burley Taiko recently (my first recumbent) and have been loving it (the DF
> cannondale gathers dust), and am now starting to load it up with accy's.
>
> I picked up a "cateye" cc-cd100 unit that does speed/cadence and all the other wizz-bang stuff,
> but now that I have it I don't see how I can mount it in a place that I can see and still get both
> sensors mounted where they need to go (cables seem a bit short).
>
> So was wondering what others have done with my type of 'bent as far as mounting computers and
> their sensors?
>
> tia for any input :)

I also use an Astrale (cc-cd100). Out of the box I found the Astrale's wiring harness is a bit short
for my Trice Micro. Cateye offers a "tandem length" harness. It's length (over 72") allows me to
have the speed sensor on the rear wheel, and the candence sensor up front.

The tandem length is a special order item from a LBS, but worth the wait (no splicing!)

I installed my Astrale on my Taiko without having to add any wire. Mounted the cadence sensor on the
main tube ahead of the bottom bracket on the left side. I cut the mount off the sensor and glued it
to a block of closed cell foam to shim it out to the proper distance.

Rod

Bear in mind that the Astrale's wires are very fine co-ax and therefore not at all easy to splice.

I am curious as to how it is that the wire is too short, though, unless Douglas is infeasibly
tall. I have Astrales on my Baron - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/misc/Baron.htm - and
Speedmachine - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/misc/Speedmachine.htm. Both have tiller steering
and there's enough wire to reach a BB far enough away for a long-legged 6'3" rider. The speed
sensor wire probably won't reach the rear wheel, but there's nothing to stop one from mounting it
on the front wheel instead.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/