'speedo' suggestions

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Andy Kie Kuo, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Andy Kie Kuo

    Andy Kie Kuo Guest

    Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
    months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
    and a TYR speedo.

    Tags:

  2. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    As I was reading your post, my mnd was already thinking of recommending a TruWest nylon suit. And
    then you shot that one down. The only other alternative I can think of is an Australian company that
    makes real 100% nylon suits. Try going to www.aussiebum.com.au (or is it www.aussiebum.com?). Their
    darker colors might be better if you are a bit shy about your body. I've got an Aussiebum suit and
    it seems to be pretty tough stuff as well.

    You've really got my curiosity tweaked. My experience with TruWest is that their nylon suits are the
    most durable. How much swimming are you doing? What "kind" of swimming are you doing?

    "Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
    > months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
    > and a TYR speedo.

  3. Paul Gormley

    Paul Gormley Guest

    "Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
    > months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
    > and a TYR speedo.

    In the UK they are called speedo endurance and, in my experience, they last for years.

  4. Brian D

    Brian D Guest

    "Paul Gormley" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
    > > months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm)
    > > speedos, and a TYR speedo.
    >
    > In the UK they are called speedo endurance and, in my experience, they
    last
    > for years.

    It's rumoured at our club that they will be inherited by our children in good condition. (I have had
    later pairs damaged by contact with the pool walls, earlier ones don't suffer the same) They are
    usually about 85% polyester 15% PBT. One of the other manufacturers make a similar range.
    --
    Brian D

  5. Shannon

    Shannon Guest

    I highly recommend the Speedo Endurance suits sold in the UK; they hold up well and are a great
    value. You can buy them online through http://www.allensswimwear.co.uk or
    http://www.swimstation.com. The "Maru" brand also makes a durable suit but I can't remember the name
    of the style.

  6. Mark P

    Mark P Guest

    I was thinking the same thing about TruWest. They do make a few lines of suits I think, so maybe
    he's using the "wrong" one. But I'll voice a second opinion that TruWest Trulon suits hold up
    extremely well. I've had my current one for over a year now and it's still going strong.

    "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As I was reading your post, my mnd was already thinking of recommending a TruWest nylon suit. And
    > then you shot that one down. The only other alternative I can think of is an Australian company
    > that makes real 100% nylon suits. Try going to www.aussiebum.com.au (or is it www.aussiebum.com?).
    > Their darker colors might be better if you are a bit shy about your body. I've got an Aussiebum
    > suit and it seems to be pretty tough stuff as well.
    >
    > You've really got my curiosity tweaked. My experience with TruWest is that their nylon suits are
    > the most durable. How much swimming are you doing? What "kind" of swimming are you doing?
    >
    > "Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
    > > months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm)
    > > speedos, and a TYR speedo.

  7. Ross Bogue

    Ross Bogue Guest

    In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:

    > Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
    > two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel them
    > off and on.

    My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
    usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

  8. Mrdancer

    Mrdancer Guest

    "Shannon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I highly recommend the Speedo Endurance suits sold in the UK; they hold up well and are a great
    > value. You can buy them online through http://www.allensswimwear.co.uk or
    > http://www.swimstation.com. The "Maru" brand also makes a durable suit but I can't remember the
    > name of the style.

    Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were two
    sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel them off
    and on. OTOH, I have pretty beefy thighs, so that did cause a little problem.

  9. Andy Kie Kuo

    Andy Kie Kuo Guest

    Thank you guys for all the suggestions. The truwest speedos I have did last the longest out of all
    the pairs I mentioned. My friend coaches a high school team and he was nice enough to give me the
    pair of truwest speedos; they had their mascot stitched onto the back and that's where the tear
    developed in it so maybe that had something to do with it.

    To answer Mr. Dancer, I definitely notice discrepencies in sizing. I find that Speedo(tm) brand
    speedos are pretty much my pant size, but the truwest speedo was four sizes above mine ... who knows
    what's going on.

  10. Mrdancer

    Mrdancer Guest

    "Ross Bogue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:
    > >
    > > Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
    > > two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel
    > > them off and on.
    >

    > My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
    > usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

    Thanks - that would certainly help explain it!

  11. Beeswich

    Beeswich Guest

    TYR makes a line of suits they call Durafast. They are polyester and are not affected by the
    chlorine in the pool as much as Lycra. I have a "jammer" that has lasted over a year. That must be a
    record in our pool where we keep the chlorine level very high. Good luck. Fred

  12. Beeswich

    Beeswich Guest

    TYR makes a line of suits they call Durafast. They are polyester and are not affected by the
    chlorine in the pool as much as Lycra. I have a "jammer" that has lasted over a year. That must be a
    record in our pool where we keep the chlorine level very high. Good luck. Fred

  13. Ross Bogue

    Ross Bogue Guest

    In <[email protected]> Richard C. Ruocco II wrote:
    > That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"
    > pants and found I had to go to 34 speedos. Personally I got tired of the irregulatrities in
    > Speedos and switched to Nike and TYR.

    My last several suits have been Kiefer's 100% nylon variety. They also size by the hips rather than
    the waist.

    It makes sense. The "waistband" of a competition suit fits around the hips, whether you buy the
    style with 4 inch sides like me or the Euro style with 2 inch sides. Neither style comes anywhere
    near the waist.

    Ross

  14. Ross Bogue

    Ross Bogue Guest

    In <[email protected]> Richard C. Ruocco II wrote:
    > That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"
    > pants and found I had to go to 34 speedos. Personally I got tired of the irregulatrities in
    > Speedos and switched to Nike and TYR.

    My last several suits have been Kiefer's 100% nylon variety. They also size by the hips rather than
    the waist.

    It makes sense. The "waistband" of a competition suit fits around the hips, whether you buy the
    style with 4 inch sides like me or the Euro style with 2 inch sides. Neither style comes anywhere
    near the waist.

    Ross

  15. That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"
    pants and found I had to go to 34 speedos. Personally I got tired of the irregulatrities in Speedos
    and switched to Nike and TYR.

    "Ross Bogue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:
    > >
    > > Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
    > > two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel
    > > them off and on.
    >

    > My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
    > usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

  16. That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"
    pants and found I had to go to 34 speedos. Personally I got tired of the irregulatrities in Speedos
    and switched to Nike and TYR.

    "Ross Bogue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:
    > >
    > > Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
    > > two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel
    > > them off and on.
    >

    > My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
    > usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

  17. That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"