'speedo' suggestions

Andy Kie Kuo

Guest
Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
and a TYR speedo.

As I was reading your post, my mnd was already thinking of recommending a TruWest nylon suit. And
then you shot that one down. The only other alternative I can think of is an Australian company that
makes real 100% nylon suits. Try going to www.aussiebum.com.au (or is it www.aussiebum.com?). Their
darker colors might be better if you are a bit shy about your body. I've got an Aussiebum suit and
it seems to be pretty tough stuff as well.

You've really got my curiosity tweaked. My experience with TruWest is that their nylon suits are the
most durable. How much swimming are you doing? What "kind" of swimming are you doing?

"Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
> months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
> and a TYR speedo.

"Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
> months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm) speedos,
> and a TYR speedo.

In the UK they are called speedo endurance and, in my experience, they last for years.

"Paul Gormley" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Andy Kie Kuo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone suggest a 'speedo' (don't know what to call it) that doesn't wear out in just a few
> > months. Since I started swimming I've gone through a TruWest polo speedo, two Speedo(tm)
> > speedos, and a TYR speedo.
>
> In the UK they are called speedo endurance and, in my experience, they
last
> for years.

It's rumoured at our club that they will be inherited by our children in good condition. (I have had
later pairs damaged by contact with the pool walls, earlier ones don't suffer the same) They are
usually about 85% polyester 15% PBT. One of the other manufacturers make a similar range.
--
Brian D

I was thinking the same thing about TruWest. They do make a few lines of suits I think, so maybe
he's using the "wrong" one. But I'll voice a second opinion that TruWest Trulon suits hold up
extremely well. I've had my current one for over a year now and it's still going strong.

news:[email protected]...

In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:

> Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
> two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel them
> off and on.

My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

"Shannon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I highly recommend the Speedo Endurance suits sold in the UK; they hold up well and are a great
> value. You can buy them online through http://www.allensswimwear.co.uk or
> http://www.swimstation.com. The "Maru" brand also makes a durable suit but I can't remember the
> name of the style.

Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were two
sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel them off
and on. OTOH, I have pretty beefy thighs, so that did cause a little problem.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. The truwest speedos I have did last the longest out of all
the pairs I mentioned. My friend coaches a high school team and he was nice enough to give me the
pair of truwest speedos; they had their mascot stitched onto the back and that's where the tear
developed in it so maybe that had something to do with it.

To answer Mr. Dancer, I definitely notice discrepencies in sizing. I find that Speedo(tm) brand
speedos are pretty much my pant size, but the truwest speedo was four sizes above mine ... who knows
what's going on.

"Ross Bogue" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In <[email protected]> mrdancer wrote:
> >
> > Just curious... do you find any discrepancies in Speedo sizing? I had to wear Speedos that were
> > two sizes larger than my pants size, and they were still quite snug - I had to literally peel
> > them off and on.
>

> My normal experience is that competition suits are sized around the hips, rather than the waist. I
> usually buy 36 inch suits, although I normally wear 33 inch trousers.

Thanks - that would certainly help explain it!

TYR makes a line of suits they call Durafast. They are polyester and are not affected by the
chlorine in the pool as much as Lycra. I have a "jammer" that has lasted over a year. That must be a
record in our pool where we keep the chlorine level very high. Good luck. Fred

In <[email protected]> Richard C. Ruocco II wrote:
> That is typical of Speedos. They usually run a little "snug" in racing briefs. I usually wear 32"
> pants and found I had to go to 34 speedos. Personally I got tired of the irregulatrities in
> Speedos and switched to Nike and TYR.

My last several suits have been Kiefer's 100% nylon variety. They also size by the hips rather than
the waist.

It makes sense. The "waistband" of a competition suit fits around the hips, whether you buy the
style with 4 inch sides like me or the Euro style with 2 inch sides. Neither style comes anywhere
near the waist.

Ross