speedpaly & Bebop pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mr handy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. mr handy

mr handy New Member

well i just got the call from the lbs a wile ago and my felt f80 is ready to be picked up!!!! the felt site said that it comes with clipless pedals, however i doubt they will be very good. this will be my first road bike, and first experience with clipless pedals. grew up riding the gravel roads and tractor paths in Missouri and now i live in Florida it is time for the road (i have wanted to got a road bike for a few years)

anyway i figure i will ride the stock pedals for a few weeks and see how it goes, but at the same time i have been looking for a good pair of pedals to replace them with. there are two that caught my eye, speedplay x2 or zero, and bebop pedals. i have read that the speedplay tend to wear out quickly and need constant maintenance (not really a big deal to keep them clean and lubed). the bebop pedals look good but seem to be hard to find (one of my lbs's says they carry them on there web site) and there is not much word of them that i have found, but what i have found seems to be very good.

if anyone has any experience with either of there systems please let me know what you think of them. i am considering just going right out and getting the pedals tomorrow, or over the weekend depending on the quality of the stockers.

thanks
    Andy

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

In my experience, speedplay are very good. I have used two sets of x-series (X-2 and X-3, which is now X-5) on two of my road bikes for over 10yrs and thousands of miles with no problems. I find them to be virtually maintenance free and have never lubed the cleats once. The key is to get the cleat properly installed on the shoe in the first place. They are not the easiest to walk in, though, and I would recommend the cleat covers for walking more than a few steps.