SpeedPlay 2, the dismount.

dburr

Aug 19, 2006
I'm fairly new to biking, after 20 years of driving a car, I started in August of 2006. Sunday I did my 1st 100K for the Tour-de-Cure.:)
Anyway, in the middle of the ride, like mile 30 or so, was the big hill, and it was steep. I tried to dismount for alittle 30 second break and couldn't get out of the speedplays fast enough. Yup, I kissed the road, glad nobody saw me.
Is their a secret to get out fast? Other than not stopping on hills and keep climbing.:rolleyes: Their doesn't seem to be any adjustment for how far you need to twist your foot to pop out.

Thanks, Dan

There's panic lock switch. Under those situations, the more you want and need to unclip, the tighter it'll go.

Practice your unclipping action. Typically in a panic you'll stiffen up your leg and foot, and rather than a side rotation, you are unconsciously pulling up and making it impossible to disengage.

dburr said:
I'm fairly new to biking, after 20 years of driving a car, I started in August of 2006. Sunday I did my 1st 100K for the Tour-de-Cure.:)
Anyway, in the middle of the ride, like mile 30 or so, was the big hill, and it was steep. I tried to dismount for alittle 30 second break and couldn't get out of the speedplays fast enough. Yup, I kissed the road, glad nobody saw me.
Is their a secret to get out fast? Other than not stopping on hills and keep climbing.:rolleyes: Their doesn't seem to be any adjustment for how far you need to twist your foot to pop out.

Thanks, Dan

As you have discovered, speedplays require quite a bit of heel rotation to release. Practice to get a feel for how far you need to twist.

Also could be that you had some dirt or debris in your cleat that impaired the spring from releasing normally. Consider using cleat covers when off of the bike to keep the cleats clean.

You want to blast the shoe cleats with compressed air (can or compressor) frequently to blow out the grit, then spray a light coating of dry lube on. A little dry lube on the slots in the pedels and scrub out the grit with a plastic bristle brush and wipe with a rag. No spray lube on the axels - those take grease as per instructions.

After I did that, when I stretched out on the asphalt, I only had myself to blame. :D

dburr said:

Thanks, Dan
The Zeros have adjustable float which would also mean adjustable release. But, you're only saving milliseconds here. Speedplays release very quickly and easily compared to the Look pedals I rode previously for a decade.

You'll get better anticipating the need to clip out on steep hills the more you ride them. After a season of riding, it should become a no-brainer for you. Plus, you may find you never need to stop in the middle of a hill. Riding up is usually easier than walking your bike if you have the right gearing.

Thanks for the replies.

I've had them since I bought the bike, so cliping out is almost(almost):eek: second nature. I will blow them out tho, they were hard getting in a few times that day. It never crossed my mind to have to clean them, I figured a few taps they would clean themselves.:eek:

Thanks again.