Speedplay cleats on Shimano shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Belij3, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
    speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes are
    made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

    Tags:

  2. Go to the shoe guide on the SpeedPlay website:
    http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shoeguide.searchstart

    You can also take your shoes to an LBS and see if the shoes will accept the Frog cleats.

    "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
    cleat
    > mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
    shoes? I
    > have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

  3. "Belij3" <[email protected]> asks:
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
    cleat
    > mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
    shoes? I
    > have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

    I own a pair of Shimano T-090 shoes and use Frog cleats. I increased the width of the recess on each
    side by about 1/16 inch to accomodate the Frog cleats and they work just fine. --Garrett

  4. belij-<< I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I
    use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes?

    Yes, same holes as SPD-MTB cleats-

    << I have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit.

    Not since first gen SPD-R-now that was good idea...

  5. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    [email protected] (Belij3) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
    > speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes
    > are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

    I have sidi dominators and the cleats wouldn't fit but since I bought them at the LBS (the pedals)
    they "custom" fit the cleat for me. What he did looks easy enough especially if you have a dremel.

    -calvin

  6. Rb

    Rb Guest

    I had to trim away a little bit of the rubber surrounding the screw slots to get Frog cleats to fit
    onto a pair of Shimano MTB shoes.

    [email protected] (Belij3) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
    > speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes
    > are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

  7. In my Speedplay X3 packaging there is an insert which says which shoes are compatible and not
    compatible. Stan "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
    cleat
    > mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
    shoes? I
    > have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

  8. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
    cleat
    > mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
    shoes? I
    > have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

    I use Frogs on my touring shoes. I used a Dremel tool to trim away a bit around the cleat opening
    and all works well.