Speedplay cleats on Shimano shoes

Belij3

Guest
I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes are
made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

Go to the shoe guide on the SpeedPlay website:
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=shoeguide.searchstart

You can also take your shoes to an LBS and see if the shoes will accept the Frog cleats.

"Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
cleat
> mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
shoes? I
> have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

"Belij3" <[email protected]> asks:
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
cleat
> mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
shoes? I
> have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

I own a pair of Shimano T-090 shoes and use Frog cleats. I increased the width of the recess on each
side by about 1/16 inch to accomodate the Frog cleats and they work just fine. --Garrett

belij-<< I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I
use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes?

Yes, same holes as SPD-MTB cleats-

<< I have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit.

Not since first gen SPD-R-now that was good idea...

[email protected] (Belij3) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
> speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes
> are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

I have sidi dominators and the cleats wouldn't fit but since I bought them at the LBS (the pedals)
they "custom" fit the cleat for me. What he did looks easy enough especially if you have a dremel.

-calvin

I had to trim away a little bit of the rubber surrounding the screw slots to get Frog cleats to fit
onto a pair of Shimano MTB shoes.

[email protected] (Belij3) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed cleat mounting). I use
> speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano shoes? I have this feeling that the shoes
> are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

In my Speedplay X3 packaging there is an insert which says which shoes are compatible and not
compatible. Stan "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
cleat
> mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
shoes? I
> have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

"Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking of purchasing a pair of Shimano touring shoes (recessed
cleat
> mounting). I use speedplay frogs. Will these cleats fit on the Shimano
shoes? I
> have this feeling that the shoes are made so that only shimano cleats fit. B

I use Frogs on my touring shoes. I used a Dremel tool to trim away a bit around the cleat opening
and all works well.