Speedplay clipping in.

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Hi there, I have just fitted my New set of speedplay zero's , I have changed from shimano spd L s, I followed the fitting instructions carefully but I am a little concerned at the ease at clipping out. With the shimano it was a "clunk" clipping in and a "clunck " at clipping out so you knew you were clipped in securly. However the speedplays are not so "cluncky" so I am a little dubious as to the securite of my feet in the pedal, I felt that if I sprinted I would pull out. As said I made sure that I did not overtighten the four cleat screws so that cannot be the prob, if there is one at all. Has anyone else experianced this? Is it just how speedplays are? nathan

nath1 said:
Hi there, I have just fitted my New set of speedplay zero's , I have changed from shimano spd L s, I followed the fitting instructions carefully but I am a little concerned at the ease at clipping out. With the shimano it was a "clunk" clipping in and a "clunck " at clipping out so you knew you were clipped in securly. However the speedplays are not so "cluncky" so I am a little dubious as to the securite of my feet in the pedal, I felt that if I sprinted I would pull out. As said I made sure that I did not overtighten the four cleat screws so that cannot be the prob, if there is one at all. Has anyone else experianced this? Is it just how speedplays are? nathan

Speedplays do have a more subtle engagement feel. You won't, however, pull out of them. In fact, you can't pull straight out of them. To get out you have to turn your feet. I've been using them for 3+ years with zero issues.
Compared to the Look pedals I used for the preceding 11-12 years, the Speedplays are no less secure.

Agree with the above reponses. One thing to add though - keep the cleats clean...they are very sensitive to sand and grit. I occasionally make the bone-headed decision to unclip and put a foot down without looking at the road...here in NM there's a lot of sand/ silt that accumulates near curbs and roadsides. If you do this however, you know it when clipping back in (vs. coming out by 'surprise') as they are sluggish to clip back in. The cafe covers are a good recommendation if you'll be doing much walking in them.

Thanks for that , I think it is just the difference, the feel, that is somewhat worrying me. Althought I seem to remember that my old time impacts felt alot easier to release from than shimanos. I suppose I just need to ride them for a bit. cheers

nath1 said:
Thanks for that , I think it is just the difference, the feel, that is somewhat worrying me. Althought I seem to remember that my old time impacts felt alot easier to release from than shimanos. I suppose I just need to ride them for a bit. cheers
I know what you mean, they don't give you a very positive feeling when you clip in. I've been on Speedplay's since last summer and I still check them by pulling up hard after clipping in just to make sure.

To further elaborate, do any of you find the speedplays more prone to generating hot spots on the feet. I had a good " dumbass moment " last year after stopping to check out a local river after a rain . The little bit of mud I picked up ( shimanos ) set up as I rode home. Once in my yard I couldn't get either foot to disengage - just came to a stop and rolled over - no one was looking. I considered adding it to the end of all my rides as a toughening excercise...my clav said "go ahead - do you feel lucky punk ?"

Nice one,lol. I have even forgot to unclip once at traffic lights, went down quicker than Frank bruno...lol. Well I have done about ten hours on the speedplays now and they are fantastic. nath
9.8mps2 said:
To further elaborate, do any of you find the speedplays more prone to generating hot spots on the feet. I had a good " dumbass moment " last year after stopping to check out a local river after a rain . The little bit of mud I picked up ( shimanos ) set up as I rode home. Once in my yard I couldn't get either foot to disengage - just came to a stop and rolled over - no one was looking. I considered adding it to the end of all my rides as a toughening excercise...my clav said "go ahead - do you feel lucky punk ?"

9.8mps2 said:
To further elaborate, do any of you find the speedplays more prone to generating hot spots on the feet.

No. Hotspots are more a result of the shoe rather than the pedal-either the shoe doesn't fit well or the sole is not stiff enough.

RC2 said:
Agree with the above reponses. One thing to add though - keep the cleats clean...they are very sensitive to sand and grit. I occasionally make the bone-headed decision to unclip and put a foot down without looking at the road...here in NM there's a lot of sand/ silt that accumulates near curbs and roadsides. If you do this however, you know it when clipping back in (vs. coming out by 'surprise') as they are sluggish to clip back in. The cafe covers are a good recommendation if you'll be doing much walking in them.
+ 1 on keeping them clean. I would also pick up the cleat covers and keep them with you when out training.

Yeah, the covers are a good idea. They fit easily, of course, in a back pocket and take all of about 3-5 seconds to put on.

I live in the desert and between the high winds and monsoonal rains, the roads are pretty well covered with small rocks, sand, and dust. However, I've never had my cleats foul, and I never put the cleats on unless I'm gonna be off the bike walking for some reason. Even when I've buried the cleat in sand.....like when I got my wheels stuck in sand that had washed across the road.....the cleats and pedals interfaced nicely and without issue.