Speedplay disappointment

Bob M

Guest
I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two rides ago, I couldn't get my
right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode the 15 mile ride with the pedal part way clicked in. I
changed cleats, and now the pedals work well. The only problem is that I've only had these pedals
for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time pedals for 15 years and needed new cleats
twice during that time. And I now live in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season), whereas I rode
Times in AZ, where I rode year round.

I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe and
worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click into the
pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and exit for Times
better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the Speedplays).

--
Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two rides ago, I couldn't get my
> right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode the 15 mile ride with the pedal part way clicked in.
> I changed cleats, and now the pedals work well. The only problem is that I've only had these
> pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time pedals for 15 years and needed
> new cleats twice during that time. And I now live in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season),
> whereas I rode Times in AZ, where I rode year round.
>
> I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe
> and worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click
> into the pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and exit for
> Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the Speedplays).

Well, I've had my X2's for three seasons now and have about 8000 miles on them. The only maintenance
I've done so far is lubing them regularly. Yes, they don't like to much grit which can make entry a
bit troublesome, but besides that I've had no problems and I'm still on the same pair of cleats. I
love my pedals and have also got the Frog's on my MTB. Hjalmar in Norway

"Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two
rides
> > ago, I couldn't get my right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode the 15 mile ride with the
> > pedal part way clicked in. I changed cleats, and now the pedals work well. The only problem is
> > that I've only had these pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time pedals
> > for 15 years and needed new cleats twice during that time. And I now
live
> > in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season), whereas I rode Times in AZ, where I rode year round.
> >
> > I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe
> > and worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click
> > into the pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and
exit
> > for Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the
> > Speedplays).
> >
> Well, I've had my X2's for three seasons now and have about 8000 miles on them. The only
> maintenance I've done so far is lubing them regularly. Yes, they don't like to much grit which
> can make entry a bit troublesome, but besides that I've had no problems and I'm still on the
> same pair of
cleats.
> I love my pedals and have also got the Frog's on my MTB. Hjalmar in Norway

Have you inspected your cleats lately? I'm sure they're about due for replacement.

Robin Hubert

Bob: 1200 miles is *way* short for Speedplay cleat life, unless you've been walking around in very
find gravel/sand/gritty stuff. What type of shoes are you using? If the shoe/cleat interface isn't
near-perfect, Speedplays can have problems such as you describe.

Also, before pulling out much more hair, bring them back in to the shop you bought them from and
have them take a look at it (if you haven't already). Whatever's going on may be obvious to someone
who's dealt with a lot of them.

For what it's worth, my Speedplay X2s get a lot of abuse (including hiking around on the Tourmalet
for four hours in them, because I forget to bring the covers) and they've given me maybe 8k miles
between cleat changes.

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two rides ago, I couldn't get my
> right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode the 15 mile ride with the pedal part way clicked in.
> I changed cleats, and now the pedals work well. The only problem is that I've only had these
> pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time pedals for 15 years and needed
> new cleats twice during that time. And I now live in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season),
> whereas I rode Times in AZ, where I rode year round.
>
> I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe
> and worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click
> into the pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and exit for
> Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the Speedplays).
>
> --
> Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

"Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two rides ago, I couldn't get my
> right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode the 15 mile ride with the pedal part way clicked in.
> I changed cleats, and now the pedals work well. The only problem is that I've only had these
> pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time pedals for 15 years and needed
> new cleats twice during that time. And I now live in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season),
> whereas I rode Times in AZ, where I rode year round.
>
> I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe
> and worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click
> into the pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and exit for
> Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the Speedplays).
>
> --
> Bob M in CT Remove 'x.' to reply

I STRONGLY suspect user error! I'm betting you've over-tightened the little black screws with the
blue Loc-tite on the tips. If you over-tighten those screws, you restrict the movement of the wire
sprints that bind to the pedals. This makes it hard to click in or click out. The instructions say
to screw those screws in until they start to meet resistance, then turn 1/4 turn farther -- no more.
I know many folks don't believe that's enough. It's enough. The Loc-tite helps keep them secure. But
it's a good idea to check them regularly.

I've ridden at least 60,000 miles on Speedplay pedals. I had problems similar to yours when I first
got them until I figured out I had those screws too tight. Now they're wonderful.

Never used Time pedals, but I switched over from Look. I pulled out of Look pedals in sprints an a
fairly regular basis. I've NEVER pulled out of my Speedplays.

Bob C.

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
news:D[email protected]...

> "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > "Bob M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > > I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in Speedplay pedals. Two
> rides
> > > ago, I couldn't get my right foot to click into the pedal, so I rode
the
> > > 15 mile ride with the pedal part way clicked in. I changed cleats,
and
> > > now the pedals work well. The only problem is that I've only had
these
> > > pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months. I rode Time
pedals
> > > for 15 years and needed new cleats twice during that time. And I now
> live
> > > in CT (i.e., a 9-10 month riding season), whereas I rode Times in AZ, where I rode year round.
> > >
> > > I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right
> > > shoe and worry about shims; I don't have to
worry
> > > about stepping in dirt and not being able to click into the pedals; I don't have to replace
> > > the cleats that often; and I like the entry and
> exit
> > > for Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just
> > > click into the Speedplays).
> > >
> > Well, I've had my X2's for three seasons now and have about 8000 miles
on
> > them. The only maintenance I've done so far is lubing them regularly.
Yes,
> > they don't like to much grit which can make entry a bit troublesome, but besides that I've had
> > no problems and I'm still on the same pair of
> cleats.
> > I love my pedals and have also got the Frog's on my MTB. Hjalmar in Norway
>
> Have you inspected your cleats lately? I'm sure they're about due for replacement.

No I have not. How can I see if they are due for replacement? I have an extra set though so maybe I
should replace them before next season. Hjalmar

wrote in part:

>The only problem is that I've only had these pedals for about 1,200 miles and less than 6 months.

---snip---

>I'm giving on Speedplays and going back to Times. With Times, I don't have to buy the right shoe
>and worry about shims; I don't have to worry about stepping in dirt and not being able to click
>into the pedals; I don't have to replace the cleats that often; and I like the entry and exit for
>Times better than Speedplays (it commonly takes me 1/2 mile just to click into the Speedplays).

Just checking- you've had them for 6 months and *still* haven't become confident clicking in and
out, you don't want to have to shop for the right shoe or fiddle with shimming the shoe properly,
and you like Times better anyway? It sounds like you never set the Speedplays up correctly but no
matter. If you like Times, go back to them. It would be a boring world if everyone only liked
vanilla ice cream. Just don't blame the ice cream maker for making other flavors.

Regards, Bob Hunt