Speedplay Frog & new cleats

Hjalmar DuklæT

Guest
My cleats have about 10000 miles on them and are probably due for replacement. I've allready got a
new pair but have read several reviews on mtbr saying that the new cleats give nothing but trouble.
Does anybody have any experience with this? Hjalmar

"Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My cleats have about 10000 miles on them and are probably due for replacement. I've allready got a
> new pair but have read several reviews on mtbr saying that the new cleats give nothing but
> trouble. Does anybody have any experience with this? Hjalmar

I have two pairs of cleats, one (old version) on a pair of Shimano sandals, another (new version) on
a pair of Sidi's. The two are a bit different, but not that much. A lot of folks say the new one's
are harder to get into and out of, but I cannot tell if the minor bit of difference is due to wear
of the older ones or design, but it is not enough of a difference for me to worry about. There are a
couple of positives to the new design; the mushrooms are gone, so they will not break off as some
folks had happen with the old design. And there is an adjustment screw to take out fore-aft play
that develops as the cleats wear.

- rick

Rick Warner wrote: I have two pairs of cleats, one (old version) on a pair of Shimano sandals,
> another (new version) on a pair of Sidi's.

Rick, I was on the Speedplay site just today. They list SPD sandals as incompatible with Frogs,
because the "large toe box" (I guess they mean the wide sole) may bump into the crank and prevent
disengagement. Do you find a problem with this? What size sandals are you using?

And...how do the cleats fit into the sandals?

Thanks. BC

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:53:14 +0100, "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My cleats have about 10000 miles on them and are probably due for replacement. I've allready got a
>new pair but have read several reviews on mtbr saying that the new cleats give nothing but trouble.
>Does anybody have any experience with this? Hjalmar

I just got my first pair and they work great.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
http://www.knight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:09:40 +0000, bob comiskey wrote:

> Rick Warner wrote: I have two pairs of cleats, one (old version) on a pair of Shimano sandals,
>> another (new version) on a pair of Sidi's.
>
> Rick, I was on the Speedplay site just today. They list SPD sandals as incompatible with Frogs,
> because the "large toe box" (I guess they mean the wide sole) may bump into the crank and prevent
> disengagement. Do you find a problem with this? What size sandals are you using?

I use Frogs and SPD sandals as well. My cleats are still the old ones, but they had that warning
then, too. I don't have any serious problems with the sandals and disengagement. I have noticed
occasionally that, in certain pedal positions, it is harder to rotate out. But where my foot usually
is when I want out is no problem at all. Mine are 43-44 I believe.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored _`\(,_ | by little statesmen
and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo (_)/ (_) | Emerson

I find the new style Frog cleat a great improvement over the old ones. They last longer without
developing "slop" and are adjustable for when slop does develop.