Speedplay Frogs for Road, anyone?

I've got a friend who has used them on a casual rig. Essentially, the trade-offs are the same as those you encounter any time you compare a manufacturer's road and MTB pedal technology.

At the expense of slightly less refined action, and maybe a few extra grams, you get a (more) dirt-resistant system with a smaller, MTB-shoe friendly, more walkable cleat.

Frogs wouldn't be my choice for road racing or long-distance road riding, but if I were looking to throw a capable pedal on a 'round town speeder, a cross bike, a track bike commuter, or a jack-of-all-trades rig (not to mention a MTB bike), I'd give them a hard look.

Depending on your personal preference, though, they might be great for use on a 14 lbs monocoque racer as well. Works just fine!

I used to use speedplay frogs on my road bike. The smooth float is great but there are a few things that caused me to go with the Look system now.
1)
When the cleat got warn a little, pedal cleat system started clicking which was annoying on a quiet road ride, but don't really notice now on my mtb.

2)
The connection between your foot and your pedal is smaller than say the Look system. I am a climber and also enjoy sprinting, so I prefer the larger connection with the bigger cleat of the Look. I nocticed a huge difference when I made the switch. On the speedplay when your really pounding you can feel the small cleat.

I think it all comes down to preference and riding style.

I use them and love them. The best peddle I've ever used. I've had no problems of any kind with them over four years of use. Also a good choice if you have knee problems from limited float.

Originally posted by namoore
The connection between your foot and your pedal is smaller than say the Look system. I am a climber and also enjoy sprinting, so I prefer the larger connection with the bigger cleat of the Look. I nocticed a huge difference when I made the switch. On the speedplay when your really pounding you can feel the small cleat.
A somewhat unfair comparison, Speedplay Frogs and Look systems, where platform size is concerned; Frogs are mountain pedals. Any mountain pedal is going to be crushed in comparison to a road pedal in this respect.

Speedplay's road systems -- the X and Zero series -- offer huge platforms.

I like the frogs over the regular speedplays. they are great for commuting as you can walk in them.
really easy to get in and out of.

Originally posted by lokstah
A somewhat unfair comparison, Speedplay Frogs and Look systems, where platform size is concerned; Frogs are mountain pedals. Any mountain pedal is going to be crushed in comparison to a road pedal in this respect.

Speedplay's road systems -- the X and Zero series -- offer huge platforms.

Yeah, but I've heard this about Speedplays (X) before Lokstah. Most feel the hot spots are a shoe issue; a stiffer sole will distribute the cleat/pedal over a larger area. This probably means staying clear of any "sport/recreational" road shoe.

I deal with lots of traffic here in SoCal and prefer a pedal that's easy to engage, like Speedplays. When I get the green I don’t want to be fumbling around. However, when finally out of traffic, I’m climbing and pounding away in my size 13 Nikes. You’re a climber.............any hot spots at all with your shoe/pedal combo? Ease my fears.

Originally posted by carchaser
Has anyone used speedplay frog pedals for road riding? Opinions?

Carchaser,

I have had Speedplay Frogs on my Road & Mountain bikes (mine & my wife) since 95. Just added them to my cyclocross bike in Nov.

#1. Easy in & easy out. Egage either side.
#2. Great for walking around sags, Quick Stops or Cafe's.
#3. One comfortable pair of shoes (SIDI's) for all bikes.
#4. Very forgiving to the knees.
#5. Mud, road debri or whatever does not effect engagement.
:)

Originally posted by p55mac
Yeah, but I've heard this about Speedplays (X) before Lokstah. Most feel the hot spots are a shoe issue; a stiffer sole will distribute the cleat/pedal over a larger area. This probably means staying clear of any "sport/recreational" road shoe.

I deal with lots of traffic here in SoCal and prefer a pedal that's easy to engage, like Speedplays. When I get the green I don’t want to be fumbling around. However, when finally out of traffic, I’m climbing and pounding away in my size 13 Nikes. You’re a climber.............any hot spots at all with your shoe/pedal combo? Ease my fears.
I can't prove it, but I'm convinced the hotspot bit is an urban myth, spread by folks who don't like the look of Speedplays, and haven't actually spent any time on them.

The platform length and width of an X or Zero -series system is about 3" by 2" -- that's generous by any standard.

Given the right circumstances, you can get foot pain through any system, no matter how well designed. That said, I don't think there's any evidence or logic to support the suggestion that Speedplay X or Zero systems have a hotspot issue resulting from a small platform. I don't get it...

Originally posted by p55mac
You’re a climber.............any hot spots at all with your shoe/pedal combo? Ease my fears.
Nope! If my shoes are too tight my big toe goes numb after enough miles, but I've never had hotspots with Speedplays.

Remember... 2"x 3"...it's big.

I believe this "hotspot" issue is legend too, so long as you have a good, stiff sole in your shoe. I guess I was hoping that someone would come along and tell me that the Frons make for a very stable platform too. I should have started off by saying that I've used Speedplay X-3's for the last 3 years on my road bike and have great things to say about them. I've never suffered from hotspots with them and never felt like the platform was small. I was considering a pair of frogs so that I could continue to use the X-series cleats on my primary road bike and fit my mountain bike and backup bike with a pair of frogs. Heck, if I like the Frogs enough, perhaps they'd replace my X pedals. So, that's why I was fishing for opinions. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by lokstah
I can't prove it, but I'm convinced the hotspot bit is an urban myth, spread by folks who don't like the look of Speedplays, and haven't actually spent any time on them.

The platform length and width of an X or Zero -series system is about 3" by 2" -- that's generous by any standard.

Given the right circumstances, you can get foot pain through any system, no matter how well designed. That said, I don't think there's any evidence or logic to support the suggestion that Speedplay X or Zero systems have a hotspot issue resulting from a small platform. I don't get it...