Speedplay Frogs good for road bike too ?

JoeOxfordCT

Dec 12, 2004
I am awaiting the delivery the first road bike I've has since my late twenties. (I'm now 41). The bike, a Felt F65, comes with Wellgo pedals of which I've heard mixed reviews at best. My LBS will give me credit for the Wellgos towards the purchase of different pedals. I currently have rigid mountain shoes with Shimano M747 pedals (SPD) on my mtn. bike which I have ridden on the road w/slicks. They have been fine but noisy !! I am comtemplating picking up Speedplay Frogs because the cleat, their new 2005 cleat, (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.newfrogcleat) uses a 2 bolt spd pattern which will allow me to continue to use my current shoes. If I was springing for new shoes too I would probably go with the X-5's which are about the same price, weight & float. But I like the fact that using the frogs with a mtn. shoe will allow me to walk around without having to get cleat caps too. Plus if I buy different shoes down the road finding 2 bolt pattern road shoes will be easy.
I have read the post regarding Look vs. Speedplay pedals and it seems to be fairly overwhelming in favor of the Speedplays. However, are there any other things I should be taking into consideration with using the Frogs on the road ?

Thanks, :p

Joe

JoeOxfordCT said:
I am awaiting the delivery the first road bike I've has since my late twenties. (I'm now 41). The bike, a Felt F65, comes with Wellgo pedals of which I've heard mixed reviews at best. My LBS will give me credit for the Wellgos towards the purchase of different pedals. I currently have rigid mountain shoes with Shimano M747 pedals (SPD) on my mtn. bike which I have ridden on the road w/slicks. They have been fine but noisy !! I am comtemplating picking up Speedplay Frogs because the cleat, their new 2005 cleat, (http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.newfrogcleat) uses a 2 bolt spd pattern which will allow me to continue to use my current shoes. If I was springing for new shoes too I would probably go with the X-5's which are about the same price, weight & float. But I like the fact that using the frogs with a mtn. shoe will allow me to walk around without having to get cleat caps too. Plus if I buy different shoes down the road finding 2 bolt pattern road shoes will be easy.
I have read the post regarding Look vs. Speedplay pedals and it seems to be fairly overwhelming in favor of the Speedplays. However, are there any other things I should be taking into consideration with using the Frogs on the road ?

Thanks, :p

Joe

I have been using Frog pedals exclusively for the last several years on my road bikes. They have some float for my old knees and I can walk around without making a big racket! I have been very satisfied but you must push down on them to engage until you hear of feel a click.

Bill Wellborn said:
I have been using Frog pedals exclusively for the last several years on my road bikes. They have some float for my old knees and I can walk around without making a big racket! I have been very satisfied but you must push down on them to engage until you hear of feel a click.
Bill,

I've read that a couple times here about some people having difficulty in engaging the cleat. How bad a problem is it :confused:

Joe

JoeOxfordCT said:
Bill,

I've read that a couple times here about some people having difficulty in engaging the cleat. How bad a problem is it :confused:

Joe

I don't consider it a problem, just something to be aware of. It engages very easily.

JoeOxfordCT said:
Bill,

Joe
I have been using them for 7 years. I have never had a problem. I click in quick. You just slid you foot foward and no problems.

Granted this is the only clipless system I have used.