Speedplay Frogs problem: Anomaly, defect or normal wear and tear

Luke

Guest
Hello everyone. My pair of Speedplay Frogs has approx. 5000 kms. The
pedals have been lubricated reqularly and very rarely have been
subjected to adverse conditions. Installed on various road bikes,
they've done duty on a few extended tours and may recreational -
exclusively on the road.

Well towards the end of my latest tour a slight clicking sound as well
as noticeable play developed in the left pedal. I initially thought it
was a loose or worn cleat. The clicking sound corresponded to the up
and down strokes of the pedal cycle, as I alternately pushed and pulled
on the pedal.

After inspecting the pedal enroute it was clear that the problem was
internal. And the racket was increasing: I could be heard clicking and
clacking 25 meters away. I assumed that the Frog's bearing was giving
up the ghost. The pedal made it through the tour and upon returning
home I disassembled it.

Nope, the bearings were fine. The problem was the bearing seat (closest
to the crankset arm) in the plastic pedal body. It had become worn and
slightly elliptical. This problem was nascent in the right pedal also.
The clicking sound accompanying each stroke was in effect the sound of
the bearing body popping in and out of it's seat as I pushed down and
pulled up on the pedal body.

Off to Canadian Tire. I applied some Loctite 'Sleeve Retainer' taking
care not to avoid the rubber O-ring (so as not to obstruct grease flow
when lubing the bearings through the Frog's grease fittings). So far
the solution seems to be working. But I wonder for how long.

Luke

In article <081020041829010205%[email protected]>, Luke
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello everyone. My pair of Speedplay Frogs has approx. 5000 kms. The
> pedals have been lubricated reqularly and very rarely have been
> subjected to adverse conditions. Installed on various road bikes,
> they've done duty on a few extended tours and may recreational -
> exclusively on the road.
>
> Well towards the end of my latest tour a slight clicking sound as well
> as noticeable play developed in the left pedal. I initially thought it
> was a loose or worn cleat. The clicking sound corresponded to the up
> and down strokes of the pedal cycle, as I alternately pushed and pulled
> on the pedal.
>
> After inspecting the pedal enroute it was clear that the problem was
> internal. And the racket was increasing: I could be heard clicking and
> clacking 25 meters away. I assumed that the Frog's bearing was giving
> up the ghost. The pedal made it through the tour and upon returning
> home I disassembled it.
>
> Nope, the bearings were fine. The problem was the bearing seat (closest
> to the crankset arm) in the plastic pedal body. It had become worn and
> slightly elliptical. This problem was nascent in the right pedal also.
> The clicking sound accompanying each stroke was in effect the sound of
> the bearing body popping in and out of it's seat as I pushed down and
> pulled up on the pedal body.
>
> Off to Canadian Tire. I applied some Loctite 'Sleeve Retainer' taking
> care not to avoid the rubber O-ring (so as not to obstruct grease flow
> when lubing the bearings through the Frog's grease fittings).

<excuse me> The above line should read:

I applied some Loctite 'Sleeve Retainer' taking
care *to* avoid the rubber O-ring (so as not to obstruct grease flow
when lubing the bearings through the Frog's grease fittings).

> So far
> the solution seems to be working. But I wonder for how long.
>
> Luke

"Luke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:081020041829010205%[email protected]...

> Hello everyone. My pair of Speedplay Frogs has approx. 5000 kms. The
> pedals have been lubricated reqularly and very rarely have been
> subjected to adverse conditions. Installed on various road bikes,
> they've done duty on a few extended tours and may recreational -
> exclusively on the road.
>
> Well towards the end of my latest tour a slight clicking sound as well
> as noticeable play developed in the left pedal. I initially thought it
> was a loose or worn cleat. The clicking sound corresponded to the up
> and down strokes of the pedal cycle, as I alternately pushed and pulled
> on the pedal.
>
> After inspecting the pedal enroute it was clear that the problem was
> internal. And the racket was increasing: I could be heard clicking and
> clacking 25 meters away. I assumed that the Frog's bearing was giving
> up the ghost. The pedal made it through the tour and upon returning
> home I disassembled it.
>
> Nope, the bearings were fine. The problem was the bearing seat (closest
> to the crankset arm) in the plastic pedal body. It had become worn and
> slightly elliptical. This problem was nascent in the right pedal also.
> The clicking sound accompanying each stroke was in effect the sound of
> the bearing body popping in and out of it's seat as I pushed down and
> pulled up on the pedal body.
>
> Off to Canadian Tire. I applied some Loctite 'Sleeve Retainer' taking
> care not to avoid the rubber O-ring (so as not to obstruct grease flow
> when lubing the bearings through the Frog's grease fittings). So far
> the solution seems to be working. But I wonder for how long.
>
> Luke

Luke: Speedplay sells all the part to their pedals, It is easy to buy from
them.

My Frogs have needed nothing but normal servicing for the last four years.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

<snip>

> Luke: Speedplay sells all the part to their pedals, It is easy to buy from
> them.
>
> My Frogs have needed nothing but normal servicing for the last four years.

Thank you Dave. I'll email Speedplay for info

luke