Speedplay leaking?

ride4him

Jan 30, 2005
I have a pair of speedplay x5 pedals. they are about 1 month old and I have found after every ride a large amount of grease has leaked out of the right pedal onto the spindle and my shoe. Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?
Is it caused by the factory over greasing?

ride4him said:
I have a pair of speedplay x5 pedals. they are about 1 month old and I have found after every ride a large amount of grease has leaked out of the right pedal onto the spindle and my shoe. Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?
Is it caused by the factory over greasing?
If you haven't lubed them yet, then yes, agree it's factory overgreasing. But I guaranty you won't have a large amount of grease coming out for more than a few rides, since they don't hold much grease at all. Just wipe it off and enjoy your speedplays...and don't forget to regrease them every 2K miles as speedplay recommends.

dhk2 said:
If you haven't lubed them yet, then yes, agree it's factory overgreasing. But I guaranty you won't have a large amount of grease coming out for more than a few rides, since they don't hold much grease at all. Just wipe it off and enjoy your speedplays...and don't forget to regrease them every 2K miles as speedplay recommends.

I hope that's the case. I'm worried about a defect with the bearings or the spindle. I'm going to keep riding them and wiping off the grease until it either stops leaking or I can feel a grinding sensation i.e. grease all gone.

ride4him said:
I hope that's the case. I'm worried about a defect with the bearings or the spindle. I'm going to keep riding them and wiping off the grease until it either stops leaking or I can feel a grinding sensation i.e. grease all gone.

[email protected]

ask them.

I use 'em and we sell a lot of them and I haven't seen that before.