Speedplay pedal ?s

Bob

Guest
Now I'm looking at Speedplay pedals. It's a bit confusing, as they range from $100 (Speedplay X3
Road Pedal) to $250 (Speedplay X1 Road Pedal) (well, there's also titanium at $270, but I'm a bit
heavy for titanium). Other than lighter weight (which currently isn't important to me), is there any
benefit to buying a more expensive pedal? I'll ride in the rain, but I switch to my mountain bike
for the really nasty stuff (i.e., snow and ice). Is a stainless steel spindle worth more than a
chromoly spindle?

Thanks.

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

In article <[email protected]>, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>Now I'm looking at Speedplay pedals. It's a bit confusing, as they range from $100 (Speedplay X3
>Road Pedal) to $250 (Speedplay X1 Road Pedal) (well, there's also titanium at $270, but I'm a bit
>heavy for titanium). Other than lighter weight (which currently isn't important to me), is there
>any benefit to buying a more expensive pedal? I'll ride in the rain, but I switch to my mountain
>bike for the really nasty stuff (i.e., snow and ice). Is a stainless steel spindle worth more than
>a chromoly spindle?

None of that stuff matters except with respect to weight - the crmo spindle is a good choice. The
most important thing a pedal spindle needs to do is not snap off when you head for the county line.

The decision you need to make is whether to get X series or the Zero, and for most people that is
determined by how much control you want over the floatation.

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:ue7ya.35277$A%[email protected]... [cut]

> None of that stuff matters except with respect to weight - the crmo spindle is a good choice.
> The most important thing a pedal spindle needs to do is not snap off when you head for the
> county line.
>
> The decision you need to make is whether to get X series or the Zero, and for most people that is
> determined by how much control you want over the floatation.
>
> --Paul

Thanks. How much control do you recommend? I've always used Time pedals (well, after me knee began
hurting while using clips and straps), which have no control over flotation. I've always thought
that more float is good, but perhaps not. Is 25 degrees too much?

--
Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

In article <[email protected]>, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:ue7ya.35277$A%[email protected]... [cut]
>>
>> None of that stuff matters except with respect to weight - the crmo spindle is a good choice.
>> The most important thing a pedal spindle needs to do is not snap off when you head for the
>> county line.
>>
>> The decision you need to make is whether to get X series or the Zero, and for most people that is
>> determined by how much control you want over the floatation.
>>
>> --Paul
>>
>Thanks. How much control do you recommend? I've always used Time pedals (well, after me knee began
>hurting while using clips and straps), which have no control over flotation. I've always thought
>that more float is good, but perhaps not. Is 25 degrees too much?

Probably, coming off a Time pedal you will not be bothered by it. Some people think the Speedplay
pedal feels "slippery" when there is more float than desired/needed.

--Paul

Bob:

X2's (with ss spindle) also have much better bearings. As an example, I have destroyed the bearings
(sleeve and one cartridge) on my X3's in about three years. However, my X2's with two cartridge
bearings sandwiching a set of roller bearings have yet to hiccup (five years).

The bottom line: if you plan on riding more than 2000 miles per year and/or weigh over 200 lbs., get
the X2's. Note that the ti X1's are not recommended for anyone over 180 lbs (or is it 185?).

The X2 is the sweet spot in the product line balancing weight and durability with price: 200 grams
at $165. I don't think any of the other quality pedals can come close to this combination of
weight and cost.

The Zero line is for those who want adjustable rotation - at a significant upcharge. I adjusted to
the free float on the X series very rapidly and most other people I have talked to have as well.

App

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Now I'm looking at Speedplay pedals. It's a bit confusing, as they range from $100 (Speedplay X3
> Road Pedal) to $250 (Speedplay X1 Road Pedal) (well, there's also titanium at $270, but I'm a bit
> heavy for titanium). Other than lighter weight (which currently isn't important to me), is there
> any benefit to buying a more expensive pedal? I'll ride in the rain, but I switch to my mountain
> bike for the really nasty stuff (i.e., snow and ice). Is a stainless steel spindle worth more than
> a chromoly spindle?
>
> Thanks.

> None of that stuff matters except with respect to weight - the crmo spindle is a good choice.
> The most important thing a pedal spindle needs to do is not snap off when you head for the
> county line.

It's not the spindle you're paying for when you move up to the X2, but rather much better bearings.
Tremendous differences in lifespan between the X3 and X2 systems. The X2 is really the best way to
go (and what I use myself, for what it's worth).