Speedplay pedal users

nath1

Mar 10, 2006
Hi im looking at changing my pedals from shimano ultegras to speedplay. Im not displeased with the shimano pedals , infact they are good. The only thing that has botherd me with these pedals is feeling that the float is a little "blocky" what i mean is that it is not very fluid and i find myself having to adjust my feet in the pedals to find that comfortable motion. This is especially profound when lets say for example i have been out of the saddle climbing or sprinting when sitting back on the saddle the feet are still at an angle. What im after is a set of pedals with a more "natural" float, thats why im looking at the speedplay's. The design of the round pedal would to me suggest that it would move more naturaly and return naturaly to diffrent pedal motions. So those of you that have used these pedals what do you think of them, is the float more natural than a large cleat system such as Look or shimanos. Nath1

nath1 said:
Hi im looking at changing my pedals from shimano ultegras to speedplay. Im not displeased with the shimano pedals , infact they are good. The only thing that has botherd me with these pedals is feeling that the float is a little "blocky" what i mean is that it is not very fluid and i find myself having to adjust my feet in the pedals to find that comfortable motion. This is especially profound when lets say for example i have been out of the saddle climbing or sprinting when sitting back on the saddle the feet are still at an angle. What im after is a set of pedals with a more "natural" float, thats why im looking at the speedplay's. The design of the round pedal would to me suggest that it would move more naturaly and return naturaly to diffrent pedal motions. So those of you that have used these pedals what do you think of them, is the float more natural than a large cleat system such as Look or shimanos. Nath1
Speedplays have a free-float, with no centering action at all. Felt like "pedaling on icecubes" on the first few rides, but the free-float soon became natural. Standing really felt sketchy initially, like there was nothing holding my feet to the pedals. After about 12K miles now, I like the freefloat and ease of entry/exit vs Look.

Need to mention that I've read that speedplays don't suit everyone; that some people develop knee pain because of additional muscle tension needed to keep the feet from yawing in/out as they go around the pedal circle.

I read that the TIME RXS pedals have rotational plus lateral float, also that you can change the Q factor by swapping the cleats from one side to the other. As well as a 8mm stack height , these pedals must have the most adjustment on the market.

With the zeros you can limit the play of the pedals, both inwards and outwards.
Natural would be a nice description.
I highly recommend them.

I have about 500 miles on my Speedplay Zeros. I never felt the "dancing on an ice cube" thing, but I can see why some pepole might. They are the most "natural" pedal I've ever used.

I am very interested in Speedplay Zero, but I am trying to find the best deal.

dhk2 said:
Need to mention that I've read that speedplays don't suit everyone; that some people develop knee pain because of additional muscle tension needed to keep the feet from yawing in/out as they go around the pedal circle.

Thinking out loud: Doesn't it stand to reason that folks whose feet naturally yaw in/out as they go around the pedal circle *shouldn't* be fighting that inclination?

The whole point of a free-float pedal/cleat system is that it allows your natural biomechanics to proceed uninhibited. It's the forcing of your knees or ankles or feet to remain in an unnatural position throughout the pedal stroke that causes most clipless-related problems. (At least as I understand it.)

The whole point of a free-float pedal/cleat system is that it allows your natural biomechanics to proceed uninhibited. It's the forcing of your knees or ankles or feet to remain in an unnatural position throughout the pedal stroke that causes most clipless-related problems. (At least as I understand it.)
I believe that was one of the selling points of Speedplays, the fact that your feet/ankles are allowed to float freely without resistance in order to alleviate any problems associated with other more restrictive clipless pedals. Time went further with their designs by allowing lateral float as well. Any input from the rider to keep his/her feet or ankle from rotating on the Speedplays is the rider's mistake, not the pedals IMO.

I chose Speedplay "X" pedals as my first clipless pedal system. I read all the available info on float and decided (based on my goal of riding to strengthen knee problem) to go with Speedplay X2's. I'm not a weight weenie but liked the idea of stainless for corrosion resistance. I felt the "dancing on ice cubes" effect at first, but quickly adapted and no longer notice it. I did need to modify the pedal to permit earlier release and I see the new Speedplay X pedals have a similar mod as well (must be responding to user feedback).

All in all, I have nothing but praise for the freedom that the Speedplays provide and have had no troubles with them at all.

graphixgeek said:
I believe that was one of the selling points of Speedplays, the fact that your feet/ankles are allowed to float freely without resistance in order to alleviate any problems associated with other more restrictive clipless pedals. Time went further with their designs by allowing lateral float as well. Any input from the rider to keep his/her feet or ankle from rotating on the Speedplays is the rider's mistake, not the pedals IMO.
I can make one comment on that...

With the X2 pedals, I can actually hit my heels on the chainstays. My feet tend to toe out and occasionally I find myself trying to compensate for that. I read where some riders add a washer to the pedals to move it out slightly, away from the crank. I may try that...

All in all, I like them very much. No pain issues at all.

Guys, I just purchase a secondhand Speedplay Zero. Now I need the cleats and if possible the cleats cover.
The Bicyclebuys has the cleats for USD$44 but it has complicated safety online ordering procedure, while online bike shop at UK often charges around USD$70.

I haven't found any store in Australia that sell the spare cleats, that's why I'm looking at overseas.
Any ideas/suggestions are much much appreciated.:)

mysrh said:
Guys, I just purchase a secondhand Speedplay Zero. Now I need the cleats and if possible the cleats cover.
The Bicyclebuys has the cleats for USD$44 but it has complicated safety online ordering procedure, while online bike shop at UK often charges around USD$70.

I haven't found any store in Australia that sell the spare cleats, that's why I'm looking at overseas.
Any ideas/suggestions are much much appreciated.:)
Yes try www.wiggle.co.uk . they are competitive and do overseas.

nath1 said:
Yes try www.wiggle.co.uk . they are competitive and do overseas.
According to the Wiggle site they only send to the U.K and certain countries in Europe, are they now shipping to Australia as well that would be great ?.

miltwebb said:
I can make one comment on that...

With the X2 pedals, I can actually hit my heels on the chainstays. My feet tend to toe out and occasionally I find myself trying to compensate for that. I read where some riders add a washer to the pedals to move it out slightly, away from the crank. I may try that...

All in all, I like them very much. No pain issues at all.

The use of a washer may not be necessary with Speedplays. It is possible to adjust the cleat positioning to more inboard / outboard, lateral position when the cleat is mounted. See page 3, step 7: http://speedplay.com/pubs/ZERO_Pedal_System_Instructions_1_27_06.pdf

Kleng, Wiggle isn't any cheaper than other UK online shop. But excelpro.com.au (i think it is the name) is the distributor of speedplay in australia. if you contact them, they can tell you where you can purchase in Melbourne.

nath1 said:
Couple things. I used Looks for about 10 years and switched over to Speedplays about 4 years ago. The release of the speedplay is so smooth. once you rotate your foot enough, you simply just step out. With Looks you have to jerk your leg out to snap out of them. I found this to be very uncomfortable for a balky knee. If you go with Speedplays 3 things I would recommend.
1. Make sure your shoe has a stiff sole since the platform is smaller than Look or Time. If the shoe is too flexible you may get hotspots. You don't need a pro carbon shoe, a pair of $100 Pearl Izumi's with an I beam construction will work just fine.
2. The first pair I owned were the X-3's and the bearings were ****. I went through a set in less than a year before they started sliding, my shop replaced them for free but I upgraded to the X2's and paid the difference. Much better, they've lasted 3 years with no problems. I understand they replaced the bearings of the X-3's in their newer model the X-5, going with the same bearings as the X2. Stay away from the X3's.
3. Get the cleat covers and carry them with you. The mechanism is in the cleat and it's sensative to dirt, sand etc. Plus their harder to walk in than Looks. The replacement cleats are $35-40 so a cheap pair of covers is a good investment.

I'll never ride another pedal. I love them.

mysrh said:
Kleng, Wiggle isn't any cheaper than other UK online shop. But excelpro.com.au (i think it is the name) is the distributor of speedplay in australia. if you contact them, they can tell you where you can purchase in Melbourne.
Thanks Mysrh

I just got some Time RXS Carbon Ti pedals, I was interested in Wiggle because they have some items the other UK on-line stores don't have.

PeterF said:
Couple things. I used Looks for about 10 years and switched over to Speedplays about 4 years ago. The release of the speedplay is so smooth. once you rotate your foot enough, you simply just step out. With Looks you have to jerk your leg out to snap out of them. I found this to be very uncomfortable for a balky knee. If you go with Speedplays 3 things I would recommend.
1. Make sure your shoe has a stiff sole since the platform is smaller than Look or Time. If the shoe is too flexible you may get hotspots. You don't need a pro carbon shoe, a pair of $100 Pearl Izumi's with an I beam construction will work just fine.
2. The first pair I owned were the X-3's and the bearings were ****. I went through a set in less than a year before they started sliding, my shop replaced them for free but I upgraded to the X2's and paid the difference. Much better, they've lasted 3 years with no problems. I understand they replaced the bearings of the X-3's in their newer model the X-5, going with the same bearings as the X2. Stay away from the X3's.
3. Get the cleat covers and carry them with you. The mechanism is in the cleat and it's sensative to dirt, sand etc. Plus their harder to walk in than Looks. The replacement cleats are $35-40 so a cheap pair of covers is a good investment.

I'll never ride another pedal. I love them.
Great advice PeterF. The "Coffee Shop Covers" are important for speedplays since we're walking on the moving parts of the system. I fouled mine once with dirt/grit on a century and lost a good 5 minutes cleaning them at the rest stop before I could clip in. Using the covers makes the cleats last a lot longer as well; I carry mine all the time now.

Also would mention it's important to lube the pedals at least every 2K miles. When I talked to tech support, speedplay advised that every 1000 miles is really a better interval. It only takes a few minutes if you have the Pedro's grease injector so it's really not a burden. I've got 12K miles on the Zero's now and bearings are fine.