speedplay pedals and leg length problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by djlance, Jun 1, 2005.

1. djlance

djlance New Member

i was wondering if speedplay pedals are good for people who have flat feet and have leg length problems. I currently use lewedges on my shoes and have SPD cleats. I am currently looking into buying speedplay pedals and was wondering if they help out with the problems i stated above

Tags:

2. dfvcad

dfvcad New Member

For the flat feet problem the pedal really does not matter, what you need to do is get some medial arch supports that will aid with control of the internal rotation of the Lower Extremity while standing on the pedal. Regarding the short leg issue you most likely need to continue using the shims to level leg length. BTW was this diagnosed by radiological studies or by eyeball guess estimation?

3. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

I have flat feet and a leg length problem. I handled the flat feet with custom insoles from a ski shop. I handled the leg length problem with spacers under my cleats (I also use Speedplay).

The important thing to keep in mind is that spacers aren't always the best solution for leg length problems. It depends on where the discrepancy is. Mine happens to be in the shin (motorcycling accident when I was a kid) so the shims work well for me. Some people have the difference in their thigh, so IIRC that's handled better by different crank lengths or something like that.

Like dfvcad alluded to, this should probably be determined by a professional.