Speedplay Pedals: Zero vs X Series

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Prometheus, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    I'm looking to buy either zero or x series. I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and
    the X's don't. Basically, I have Spd's, but need a little more float, not a lot more. So, from the
    uninformed perspective the Zero's would seem to be a good choice, but I don't want to overlook
    something out of ignorance. Is there a case to be made from experience from this group for other
    reasons to consider one over the other?

    Thanks,

    David

    Tags:

  2. Cost is one factor to consider. I have the X after having used SPDs. Love 'em. Stan "Prometheus"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Rd%[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to buy either zero or x series. I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and
    > the X's don't. Basically, I have Spd's, but
    need
    > a little more float, not a lot more. So, from the uninformed perspective the Zero's would seem to
    > be a good choice, but I don't want to overlook something out of ignorance. Is there a case to be
    > made from experience
    from
    > this group for other reasons to consider one over the other?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

  3. Comutrbob

    Comutrbob Guest

    I've heard a few reports of people having a hard time adapting to the "free floating" Speedplay X
    series pedals. I've heard stories about how hard it is to get used to them.

    Well, it took me about 30 seconds to get used to them and I loved them instantly. And knee pain that
    was a constant companion disappeared over the next couple of weeks -- never to return.

    A few folks apparently have problems with them. I've been riding them for about six years and I
    think they're awesome. Virtually everyone I know personally who has switched to X-series pedals
    loves them and would never go back. They're super light, super secure and marvelously simple.

    Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to muck up the concept by limiting the float, but
    that's me I guess.

    Bob C.

  4. Before I bought the X's I researched the subject thoroughly. VERY few reports of people NOT getting
    used to them. Took me about 20 km to get used to them. Stan "ComutrBob" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:34:05 -0500, ComutrBob wrote:

    > I've heard a few reports of people having a hard time adapting to the "free floating" Speedplay X
    > series pedals. I've heard stories about how hard it is to get used to them.
    >
    > Well, it took me about 30 seconds to get used to them and I loved them instantly. And knee pain
    > that was a constant companion disappeared over the next couple of weeks -- never to return.

    "Me too", but in my case I've used Frogs, which I think are just wonderful. I would not use any
    other pedal. The difference for me, between Frogs and X, is that I sometimes walk. Actually, I do
    a drive/ride commute, and walk around in my cycling shoes or sandles all day. That won't work
    with X pedals.

    But I also can't see wanting to limit the float. Chaqun a son gout, I suppose.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster." --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  6. IT took me about 1 minute to get used to my X's. Three of my friends purchased X's after I got mine.
    The love 'em.

    "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Rd%[email protected]...
    > I'm looking to buy either zero or x series. I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and
    > the X's don't. Basically, I have Spd's, but
    need
    > a little more float, not a lot more. So, from the uninformed perspective the Zero's would seem to
    > be a good choice, but I don't want to overlook something out of ignorance. Is there a case to be
    > made from experience
    from
    > this group for other reasons to consider one over the other?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

  7. Bob Denton

    Bob Denton Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:50:42 -0500, "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy either zero or x series. I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and
    >the X's don't. Basically, I have Spd's, but need a little more float, not a lot more. So, from the
    >uninformed perspective the Zero's would seem to be a good choice, but I don't want to overlook
    >something out of ignorance. Is there a case to be made from experience from this group for other
    >reasons to consider one over the other?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >David

    I have had, on a few occasions, a knee problen start to develop during a long ride. I find that by
    radically changing my foot position, and subsequent knee position, I can reduce stress on that
    tendon or ligament, and get home without exacerbating the problem. The frr float is a winner!

    cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink

  8. Fred Roses

    Fred Roses Guest

    I don't doubt that the previous posters to this thread are happy with the free play of their pedals
    but asserting that they can't imagine anybody wanting to limit play is another thing. Personally I'm
    a little bowlegged and with free-play pedals both my feet splay out. Not only do I tend to hit the
    chainstays with my heels but my knees wobble all over the place when I pedal. Fixing my position on
    the pedal minimizes the horizontal action of my knees, thus avoiding aches and pain and
    significantly improving the strength of my pedalling. My point is NOT that one pedal design is
    better than another, but that there are advantages and disadvantages to all, and you must find what
    works for you!

  9. > I don't doubt that the previous posters to this thread are happy with the free play of their
    > pedals but asserting that they can't imagine anybody wanting to limit play is another thing.
    > Personally I'm a little bowlegged and with free-play pedals both my feet splay out. Not only do I
    > tend to hit the chainstays with my heels but my knees wobble all over the place when I pedal.
    > Fixing my position on the pedal minimizes the horizontal action of my knees, thus avoiding aches
    > and pain and significantly improving the strength of my pedalling. My point is NOT that one pedal
    > design is better than another, but that there are advantages and disadvantages to all, and you
    > must find what works for you!

    Fred: Have you considered getting an extension for the pedal axle, so you're not forcing your legs
    to go someplace (and getting the heel clearance you need)?

  10. Alexzn

    Alexzn Guest

    Guys, would you answer the question that the poster was asking? He was asking about the difference
    between Zeros and X, not whether Speedplay is a good pedal.

    I personally prefer Zero exactly because you can limit the float. contrary to what people seem to
    imply here, both Zero and X have free float, the difference is only in the range. I am pretty
    convinced that most people don't need the whole range of X pedals, it is simply so large that it
    accomodates every possible knee/foot angles. Therefore the Zeros have an advantage since they can be
    customized to your particular range of leg movements, so you would get just enough float. The
    advantage is that you feel more secure. The release on the Zeros is supposedly stiffer than on X's,
    but I find it just perfect. No comparison with LOOKs where I felt like I was going to tear the sole
    of the shoe every time I tried to unclip. Some people pointed out that a spring on Zero-cleat is
    less prone to contaminations than the spring in X-cleat. The drawback to Zeros in only price. They
    cost more than the equivalent X-pedal. I paid extra and I don;t regret

    Alex

    "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Rd%[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking to buy either zero or x series. I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and
    > the X's don't. Basically, I have Spd's, but need a little more float, not a lot more. So, from the
    > uninformed perspective the Zero's would seem to be a good choice, but I don't want to overlook
    > something out of ignorance. Is there a case to be made from experience from this group for other
    > reasons to consider one over the other?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

  11. davburke-<< I understand that the Zero's have adjustable float and the X's don't.

    Zeros' are 0 to 15 degrees in either direction. X series has lots of float and not adjustable.

    Soulds like Zeros are the ones for you-

  12. Bob-<< I've heard a few reports of people having a hard time adapting to the "free floating"
    Speedplay X series pedals << Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to muck up the concept by
    limiting the float, but that's me I guess.

    Both my business partner and I tried X series and I could not get used to them after riding them
    everyday for about a week. He tried Zeros and loves them, i went back to LOOK/Campgnolo.

    Lot's of float isn't a panacea for knee problems either. They work for some, are worse for,
    others. YMMV...

  13. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson
    <[email protected]>> wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:34:05 -0500, ComutrBob wrote:
    >
    > > I've heard a few reports of people having a hard time adapting to the "free floating" Speedplay
    > > X series pedals. I've heard stories about how hard it is to get used to them.
    > >
    > > Well, it took me about 30 seconds to get used to them and I loved them instantly. And knee pain
    > > that was a constant companion disappeared over the next couple of weeks -- never to return.
    >
    > "Me too", but in my case I've used Frogs, which I think are just wonderful. I would not use any
    > other pedal. The difference for me, between Frogs and X, is that I sometimes walk. Actually, I do
    > a drive/ride commute, and walk around in my cycling shoes or sandles all day. That won't work with
    > X pedals.

    I'll "me three" this. I started using my X pedals in 1994 after a bout of patellar chondromalacia. I
    instantly loved the float and have ridden Speedplays ever since, except for my bikes with toe clips
    and straps. I still have my original X/2s but the bodies are finally wearing out. I have put Frogs
    on the rest of my bikes with clipless pedals- they feel the same but allow one to wear a shoe
    convenient for walking.

    > But I also can't see wanting to limit the float. Chaqun a son gout, I suppose.

    I also like the full range of float available.

  14. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Fred Roses) wrote:

    > I don't doubt that the previous posters to this thread are happy with the free play of their
    > pedals but asserting that they can't imagine anybody wanting to limit play is another thing.

    I can't imagine wanting to limit the float. That doesn't mean I'm *right*! ;-) Everyone's needs are
    a little different, and what works great for me may not be suitable for you.

  15. Tom Morley

    Tom Morley Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Fred
    > Roses) wrote:
    >
    > > I don't doubt that the previous posters to this thread are happy with the free play of their
    > > pedals but asserting that they can't imagine anybody wanting to limit play is another thing.
    >
    > I can't imagine wanting to limit the float. That doesn't mean I'm *right*! ;-) Everyone's needs
    > are a little different, and what works great for me may not be suitable for you.

    Well, if you are not used to them, then the speedplays can feel very wierd when you first use them.
    However, all my bikes are currently set up with X-2s or frogs.

    --
    Tom Morley | [email protected] | Same roads, [email protected] | Same rights,
    http://www.math.gatech.edu/~morley | Same rules.

  16. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On 27 Jan 2003 12:14:27 -0800, [email protected] (AlexZN) wrote:

    >Guys, would you answer the question that the poster was asking? He was asking about the difference
    >between Zeros and X, not whether Speedplay is a good pedal.

    I thought most of these posts were directly responding to the OP. The consensus, as I read them, was
    "Why limit the available float?" To complete connecting the dots, the Zeros limit the available
    float, so the consensus (at least to the extent there is a consensus), is to stick with X.

    Or Frogs.

    Me too.

    Pat

  17. > Well, if you are not used to them, then the speedplays can feel very wierd when you first use
    > them. However, all my bikes are currently set up with X-2s or frogs.

    My first two rides with X2s and I was wondering how in the world I could possibly be recommending
    them to my customers. My feet felt like they were on ice (and I'm *very* clumsy on ice). But on the
    third ride I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and on the fourth, well, they just
    felt like the greatest thing in the world.

    My prior clipless pedals had been LOOKs and Time. I liked the solid feel of the Time pedals, but
    getting into them was sometimes a pain, especially if you were a bit tired. X2s seem to have it all;
    a really solid feel (despite their very small size) and nice float. I haven't tried the Zeroes, but
    would probably like them as well. Just haven't had a reason to switch (a bit expensive with two
    bikes, and it's not like you can experiment with them on just one, since the cleats are different).

    "Tom Morley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Tim McNamara
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Fred Roses)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I don't doubt that the previous posters to this thread are happy with the free play of their
    > > > pedals but asserting that they can't imagine anybody wanting to limit play is another thing.
    > >
    > > I can't imagine wanting to limit the float. That doesn't mean I'm *right*! ;-) Everyone's needs
    > > are a little different, and what works great for me may not be suitable for you.
    >
    > Well, if you are not used to them, then the speedplays can feel very wierd when you first use
    > them. However, all my bikes are currently set up with X-2s or frogs.
    >
    > --
    > Tom Morley | [email protected] | Same roads, [email protected] | Same rights,
    > http://www.math.gatech.edu/~morley | Same rules.
    > ICQ: 24798603 AIM: DocTDM |

  18. I've used X's for nine years (switched from Times) and like them fine, but they do feel quite
    different to someone accustomed to fixed cleats. The only negative thing I noticed about the
    super-free float was that it was a bit harder to ride no-hands with them, since you couldn't "steer
    with your feet" as easily.

    SB

    news:6fqZ9.2040$n%[email protected]...