Speedplay Pedals

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
I recently replaced my pedals with Speedplay X2's.

An early observation was that it was much easier to unclip from the right pedal than it was from the left.

I asked my LBS mechanic to check it and he made a slight adjustment to the position of the cleat. It was a little better but I still had difficulty unclipping from the left pedal.

Prior to my ride on Monday of this week, I put white lightning lubricant on the cleats (as I do before each ride), but this time I applied more lubricant and did not wipe off the excess. And to my pleasant surprise, it was much easier to unclip from the left. Apparently the lubrication makes a big difference.

My questions are:

Is it appropriate to lubricate speedplay cleats prior to each ride?

Is there a risk of overlubricating my cleats?

You shouldn't have to lubricate speedplays before each ride. I ride frogs and I lubricate them every once in a great while with no problems. Also, there is a bit of a break in period as the clips and pedals wear a bit more. The only problem with lubrication is the attraction of road grit. You picked a good lube because White Lightning is a "dry" lube and doesn't attract grit as readily as a "wet" lube. The attraction of grit will wear out the clipping surfaces quicker (though my 10 year old frogs and clips are still going strong!) Once they wear in though, the unclipping should be effortless and not need as much lubrication. The official Speedplay maintenance guide says to routinely lubricate the pedals with a "dry" lube (PTFE).

graphixgeek said:
The official Speedplay maintenance guide says to routinely lubricate the pedals with a "dry" lube (PTFE).
It specifically recommends lubing the cleats once a week.

mgkaplan said:

An early observation was that it was much easier to unclip from the right pedal than it was from the left.

I asked my LBS mechanic to check it and he made a slight adjustment to the position of the cleat. It was a little better but I still had difficulty unclipping from the left pedal.

Prior to my ride on Monday of this week, I put white lightning lubricant on the cleats (as I do before each ride), but this time I applied more lubricant and did not wipe off the excess. And to my pleasant surprise, it was much easier to unclip from the left. Apparently the lubrication makes a big difference.

My questions are:

Agree they do break-in somewhat, and that frequent lube isn't needed. I hit mine maybe once every 500 miles/monthly or less and they seem to do fine.

If one side is tougher that the other to release on new cleats, it's likely that cleat has been overtightened which in turn restricts the free motion of the lock ring. As the instructions say, Speedplay's are sensitive to the torque on the mounting screws; overtorquing will interfere with proper engagement and release action.

Speedplay recommends grease lube of the Zero pedals every 2000 miles. In a call to tech support, was advised that every 1000 miles would be better to maximize the bearing life. Using a Pedro's grease injector, it's an easy 5 min deal.

mgkaplan said:

My questions are:

check to make sure that the cleat base plate (the part with 3-holes) is mounted perfectly flat on the shoe sole and that the spring mounting screws (the four little ones) are not too tight. I have ridden Speedplay x-pedals for over 10,000 and have never lubed my cleats once and have had no problems in release or entry if the cleats are clean. Although they recommend it, it should not be necessary for a properly installed cleat.

Perhaps there is a shoe that is more suitable for Speedplay cleats. I am currently using a Specialized road shoe. Perhaps the cleat is not mounted perfectly flat, even with the shims.

Do you have any suggestions.

mgkaplan said:
Perhaps there is a shoe that is more suitable for Speedplay cleats. I am currently using a Specialized road shoe. Perhaps the cleat is not mounted perfectly flat, even with the shims.

Do you have any suggestions.
The speedplay cleat fits poorly on the Specialized sole. I had a VERY difficult time getting the cleat base to fit flat on the sole of a pair of Specialized road shoes. It required cutting multiple shims out of thin pieces of plastic and a lot of trial and error. Finally it worked, but I did still have trouble with the position of the cleat holes and getting the cleat as far back on the sole as I wanted.
I finally gave up and have temporarily put my mountain bike pedals on that road bike.

SIDI shoes work pretty well with speedplay cleats.