Speedplay question

runningvato

Jul 11, 2004
I have had my speedplay (x-series) pedals for alomst 6 months now and recently i find myself clipping out of them mid pedal stroke. After looking them over, i can find nothing wrong with them other than the metal pieces on the pedal which the spring loaded bars on the cleat connect to are very worn. i only come unclipped from my right pedal and when i compare it to the left, the metal part ridge is noticibly smaller. Does anybody know if i can buy this little metal piece by itself? i don't want to buy a new pedal so any info would be great.

runningvato said:
I have had my speedplay (x-series) pedals for alomst 6 months now and recently i find myself clipping out of them mid pedal stroke.

I wonder if people are crashing from unintended unclipping from Speedplay pedals - I saw a guy crash his Colnago and I guess he accidentalyy unclipped.

runningvato said:
I have had my speedplay (x-series) pedals for alomst 6 months now and recently i find myself clipping out of them mid pedal stroke. After looking them over, i can find nothing wrong with them other than the metal pieces on the pedal which the spring loaded bars on the cleat connect to are very worn. i only come unclipped from my right pedal and when i compare it to the left, the metal part ridge is noticibly smaller. Does anybody know if i can buy this little metal piece by itself? i don't want to buy a new pedal so any info would be great.
I have used the same pedals for more than 10 years and the only time I have had problems is when the springs were broken or the cleats not mounted properly. the cleats need to be mounted perfertly flat both side to side and front to back and if there is any twist when looking along the bottom of the cleat it can cause problems with the springs not engaging properly or wearing quickly - and 6 months is quickly.

You also need to lube the cleats and pedal surfaces frequently with a dry lube.

A long way of saying it's not the pedal body, so keep looking at the springs and cleats.

JTE83 said:
I wonder if people are crashing from unintended unclipping from Speedplay pedals - I saw a guy crash his Colnago and I guess he accidentalyy unclipped.
I usually see the opposite from my buddy. He usually clips back into them without wanting to and falls over. :p

ChangMan said:
I usually see the opposite from my buddy. He usually clips back into them without wanting to and falls over. :p

ha i feel his pain. many a time have i fought myself fighting gravity as i go into a "deep lean" to the side.

runningvato said:

I have used Speedplay X series on two bikes for 6+ years (X-2 and X-3) without problems. Sounds to me like you need a new pedal body. Looking at the pedal parts diagram shows the body and metal piece to which you refer as all one piece. It is suprising to me that you have so much wear of the metal on the pedal body as I have very little on mine.

I have seen the metal plates for sale. I think it was a the Speedplay website, or maybe on the web at ebay? But I know they're there.

runningvato said:

I've used speedplay pedals on my road bike for almost 5 years now, and I've never had a problem. But I don't race, so if racing is your concern, then I can't help you. But the speedplay pedals (and there have been significant upgrades in the past few years) are great.

runningvato said:
Speedplays are sensitive to cleat mounting, as Mises said. Would guess your cleat on the right was binding and never really seating properly since new. As a result, after pulling out of the pedal several times, the pedal engage slot is now worn.

Believe you'll need to replace the metal plate on the pedal, plus maybe get new cleats. Make sure the new cleats are installed on your shoes so there is no binding, ie, the cleat clip is free to rotate. If you shoe sole doesn't have a solid, flat mounting base, that could cause warping and binding of the cleat. Good luck.

I ride on speedplay zeros.

From what i understand, you are supposed to replace your kleats on your shoes once a year. Maybe you ride a ton more than other people, and so they are worn differantly and need to be replaced?

dhk said:
Speedplays are sensitive to cleat mounting, as Mises said. Would guess your cleat on the right was binding and never really seating properly since new. As a result, after pulling out of the pedal several times, the pedal engage slot is now worn.

Believe you'll need to replace the metal plate on the pedal, plus maybe get new cleats. Make sure the new cleats are installed on your shoes so there is no binding, ie, the cleat clip is free to rotate. If you shoe sole doesn't have a solid, flat mounting base, that could cause warping and binding of the cleat. Good luck.

Faferoni said:
I ride on speedplay zeros.

From what i understand, you are supposed to replace your kleats on your shoes once a year. Maybe you ride a ton more than other people, and so they are worn differantly and need to be replaced?
Zeros here as well. I'm still using the cleats I got with the pedals at 7000 miles. The metal plates are starting to wear thin at the back due to walking, but they still function fine. Have the Coffee Shop covers, but don't always use them.

See no need to replace the cleats on any kind of schedule, as cleat wear is a function of clip/unclip cycles and walking; not related to miles ridden or time.

I ride the Zeros as well and the only issue that I ever have is the metal plate coming loose during a ride. I have to make sure that the cleats are much tighter than the instructions recommend and check them before every ride.

That said they are wonderful on the knees and I wouldn't trade them. Also I have never had them release when I don't want them to. I am 6'3, 230+ and quite strong. I guess it could happen, but I sure hope not!