speedplay x-pedal hard to clip/unclip

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by yum, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. yum

    yum Guest

    I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.
    The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip into and
    unclipping is also tricky.
    In order to clip, I need to aply a.lot of pressure. Not a problem on a
    trainer, but I'm not sure I can do the same on road. Unclipping is also
    tricky. Sometimes, it unclips easily, but usually I have hard time getting
    unclipped.
    Is there some kind of tension adjustment ? Or do I need to lublicate ?
    It is a brand new pedals/cleats. Or may be some tricks? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Michael Fuhr

    Michael Fuhr Guest

    "yum" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.
    > The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip into and
    > unclipping is also tricky.

    You might have overtightened the cleat fastening screws. Clipping
    in and out can be hard if they're too tight.

    --
    Michael Fuhr
    http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

  3. JMPISTOL

    JMPISTOL Guest

    Try putting white lightning on the cleats. You should always keep them
    greased.
    This will help with clip in and out.

    yum wrote:
    > I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.
    > The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip

    into and
    > unclipping is also tricky.
    > In order to clip, I need to aply a.lot of pressure. Not a problem

    on a
    > trainer, but I'm not sure I can do the same on road. Unclipping is

    also
    > tricky. Sometimes, it unclips easily, but usually I have hard time

    getting
    > unclipped.
    > Is there some kind of tension adjustment ? Or do I need to

    lublicate ?
    > It is a brand new pedals/cleats. Or may be some tricks? Thanks.

  4. Jee Doy

    Jee Doy Guest

    >The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip into and
    >unclipping is also tricky.
    >In order to clip, I need to aply a.lot of pressure.

    I too bought a new Speedplay and had a hard time clipping and out until I
    tried White Lightening. That did the trick. But one other issue. I had SIDI
    shoes and the Speedplay kit includes two types of screws for the cleats: flat
    top phillips head and the round type. For SIDI it is specifically recommended
    to use the flat top. So the bike shop used the wrong screws and that made the
    clipping action difficult. Consequently on my new bike, I fell off because I
    couldn't get the shoe off before my stop.

  5. yum-<< I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.
    The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip into and
    unclipping is also tricky. >><BR><BR>

    Installed correctly with the proper shims for the cleat?

    Lube the cleat/pdeal and practice.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. >I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.
    > The additional float is very nice, but I found it very hard to clip into
    > and
    > unclipping is also tricky.
    > In order to clip, I need to aply a.lot of pressure. Not a problem on a
    > trainer, but I'm not sure I can do the same on road. Unclipping is also
    > tricky. Sometimes, it unclips easily, but usually I have hard time
    > getting
    > unclipped.
    > Is there some kind of tension adjustment ? Or do I need to lublicate ?
    > It is a brand new pedals/cleats. Or may be some tricks? Thanks.

    What type of shoe are you using? Were the cleats installed by a shop that's
    familiar with Speedplays? Installation can definitely be an issue, as the
    cleat has to be 100% totally flat; any distortion (caused by the shims not
    matching up nicely to the shoe) can cause entry & exit problems (but mostly
    it shows up as difficulty getting in).

    And yes, as others have mentioned, lubrication is a requirement. White
    Lightning is the recommended lube, but others work fine too (they just tend
    to be a bit messier). Also, note that Speedplays are *very* sensitive to
    dirt & grit, so you don't want to walk around in them much.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  7. yum

    yum Guest

    Thank you all for good suggestions.
    My shoe is Addidus Frosco Time that has carbon flat sole with 4 holes.
    I bought a special shim from Speedplay that to protect carbon. Basically
    pedal is installed directly with this very thin special shim. When I
    installed them, I tried to be careful not to over tighten.
    I'll try lubrication. I'll need to buy white lightening lube.
    One thing I found is that it is much easier to unclip when the pedal is at
    the bottom, but almost impossible when it is at the top position. So, it
    seems to be that there is some other motion besides twist is required to
    unclip.

  8. yum wrote:
    > Thank you all for good suggestions.
    > My shoe is Addidus Frosco Time that has carbon flat sole with 4 holes.
    > I bought a special shim from Speedplay that to protect carbon.
    > Basically pedal is installed directly with this very thin special
    > shim. When I installed them, I tried to be careful not to over
    > tighten.
    > I'll try lubrication. I'll need to buy white lightening lube.
    > One thing I found is that it is much easier to unclip when the pedal
    > is at the bottom, but almost impossible when it is at the top
    > position. So, it seems to be that there is some other motion
    > besides twist is required to unclip.

    It is difficult to get the needed ankle twist to un-clip when your foot is
    at the top of the stroke. Typically I un-clip at the bottom of the stroke.

  9. Larry Coon

    Larry Coon Guest

    yum wrote:

    > Thank you all for good suggestions.
    > My shoe is Addidus Frosco Time that has carbon flat sole with 4 holes.
    > I bought a special shim from Speedplay that to protect carbon. Basically
    > pedal is installed directly with this very thin special shim. When I
    > installed them, I tried to be careful not to over tighten.
    > I'll try lubrication. I'll need to buy white lightening lube.
    > One thing I found is that it is much easier to unclip when the pedal is at
    > the bottom, but almost impossible when it is at the top position. So, it
    > seems to be that there is some other motion besides twist is required to
    > unclip.

    Speedplay says to twist while pulling up.

    Larry Coon
    University of California

  10. "yum" wrote
    >I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.

    Sometimes, it unclips easily, but usually I have hard time getting
    > unclipped.
    > Is there some kind of tension adjustment ? Or do I need to lublicate ?
    > It is a brand new pedals/cleats. Or may be some tricks? Thanks.

    Dear Yum. I have seen people who put the cleats on the wrong pedals. It
    would be pretty easy mix up the cleats, left for right. This puts the
    release motion intended for the left foot on the right shoe and vice versa
    becauses the release motion intended for the left foot is now in place on
    the right pedal etc. When this happens you have to clip out by moving your
    heal in not out, this makes it really hard to get out of Speedplays without
    breaking something (bike and/or body)

    Just a thought

    Dave

  11. yum

    yum Guest

    "Dave Reckoning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s03...
    > "yum" wrote
    > >I have switched from spd pedal to speedplay x-5.

    > Sometimes, it unclips easily, but usually I have hard time getting
    > > unclipped.
    > > Is there some kind of tension adjustment ? Or do I need to lublicate ?
    > > It is a brand new pedals/cleats. Or may be some tricks? Thanks.
    > >

    > Dear Yum. I have seen people who put the cleats on the wrong pedals. It
    > would be pretty easy mix up the cleats, left for right. This puts the
    > release motion intended for the left foot on the right shoe and vice versa
    > becauses the release motion intended for the left foot is now in place on
    > the right pedal etc. When this happens you have to clip out by moving your
    > heal in not out, this makes it really hard to get out of Speedplays

    without
    > breaking something (bike and/or body)
    >
    > Just a thought
    >
    > Dave

    Dave,
    Actually, I almost made that mistake. Luckly, I noticed my mistake just
    after
    installing one of cleats. It is a good point though.

  12. Jee Doy

    Jee Doy Guest

    >One thing I found is that it is much easier to unclip when the pedal is at
    >the bottom, but almost impossible when it is at the top position. So, it
    >seems to be that there is some other motion besides twist is required to
    >unclip.

    Yes, that's my experience as well. I snap out of the shoe when the crank arm
    is at the bottom, 6 o'clock position.

  13. yum

    yum Guest

    "Jee Doy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >One thing I found is that it is much easier to unclip when the pedal is

    at
    > >the bottom, but almost impossible when it is at the top position. So,

    it
    > >seems to be that there is some other motion besides twist is required to
    > >unclip.
    > >

    > Yes, that's my experience as well. I snap out of the shoe when the crank

    arm
    > is at the bottom, 6 o'clock position.

    Sounds like that is normal. As Larry said, it probably needs upward
    motion as well. I feel better. Thanks.