Speedplay X3 vs. X5

wow

Jun 16, 2004
Whats the difference between the speedplay X3 pedals to the new speedplay X4 pedals?? Will it make a difference which one i get??

Weird. I thought they were planning on dropping the X-line now that the Zeros have come out. I guess they left it for the price point.

I think they're keeping the X's, nothing wrong with their design -- as matter of fact some prefer them (if you don't want/need the float limits, they are lighter and simpler).

RC2 said:
I think they're keeping the X's, nothing wrong with their design -- as matter of fact some prefer them (if you don't want/need the float limits, they are lighter and simpler).
I agree. I just assumed they'd drop them in order to force people into the more expensive pedals. Glad they kept them.

The difference is in the type of bearings used, they have the exact info on the speedplay site. It's the difference between cartridge bearings, needle bearings and one more type that currently escapes me. I got the x-2's over the x-3's solely on reviews about reliability, which in turn reflects on the quality of the bearings just before the x-5 was released, I would definately have gotten the x-5 over the x-2, because really I don't think that little weight in the spindle is going to make a difference, and I consider myself a rather serious racer.