Speedplay Zero adjusting question

cenotouno

Apr 3, 2012
I wanted to ask regarding the adjusting float. Which wrench key are you using to turn the 2 adjusting screws on the side of the cleats? Also is there any way to adjust the attached / reengage level of the pedal to the cleat or it is a fix things (i mean how easy or hard is to release or attaché the pedal to cleat) Thanks for all comments. --- I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mlwabo

Speedplay pedals don't have an adjustment for release tension, and like oldbobcat said, a Philips screwdriver is needed to adjust the float stops.

Is it common to those of you who deal with the Zero to have it difficult to turn the float adjustment screw because it a bit stuck and it grained the screw head? I got a new cleats and 1 out of the 4 screws has this issue not by opening but by turning it inside to minimise the float rate.

This has never been a problem for me.

Remember that if you are adjusting for zero float, you need to loosen one screw before tightening the other.

If this isn't the problem, try backing the screw out a bit, cleaning the threads, and lubricating the threads with a drop of oil or a dab of grease. And be careful not to round the head of the screw.

After a while the pedals do get a little harder to get in and out of - even when you they can be a pain in the ass...

The speedplay teflon lube is your friend.

Clean your cleats and pedals very well, dry them and lube the cleats and metal parts on the front/back of the pedals. Let the lube dry for a minute and enjoy very slick operation...

If you tighten the cleat screws too much then it will be very hard to get into and out of the pedals. "Just enough" is all you need to tighten them - and that really isn't a lot. Remember to use threadlocker (loctite blue) on the screw threads to help stop them come loose.

swampy1970 said:
After a while the pedals do get a little harder to get in and out of - even when you they can be a pain in the ass...
Clean your cleats and pedals very well, dry them and lube the cleats and metal parts on the front/back of the pedals. Let the lube dry for a minute and enjoy very slick operation...
If you tighten the cleat screws too much then it will be very hard to get into and out of the pedals. "Just enough" is all you need to tighten them - and that really isn't a lot. Remember to use threadlocker (loctite blue) on the screw threads to help stop them come loose.
+7.

swampy1970 said:
Is Speedplay Teflon lube is a grease you mean or oil, spray..? Thanks

oldbobcat said:
This has never been a problem for me.
Remember that if you are adjusting for zero float, you need to loosen one screw before tightening the other.
If this isn't the problem, try backing the screw out a bit, cleaning the threads, and lubricating the threads with a drop of oil or a dab of grease. And be careful not to round the head of the screw.
Why I need to loosen one side in order to set it for zero float? Isn't it suppose to be locking the little float pin spring from two sides of the screw. Can you explain?

Just so you're not forcing the adjusting screws against each other--trying to cover all the bases here, that's all.

Originally Posted by cenotouno .

Quote: Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Is Speedplay Teflon lube is a grease you mean or oil, spray..? Thanks

It's a liquid lube, not oil but it looks like a thin oil, that comes in a little plastic bottle.

As the name suggests, it has teflon but unlike other teflon lubes it's a lot thinner and not as "sticky".

Using a teflon chain lube is a distant second to this product for cleat use but it likely better than nothing and certainly better than having dirty cleats or getting a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.