Speedplay Zero Maintenance?

ILLUMINAIRE

Sep 3, 2004
Well, after a lot of debating and reading, I finally decided to switch out my SPD pedals for Speedplay Zeros. Believe it or not, I picked up a pair of the titanium version (new with cleats) for like $170 on Ebay. :) Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any tips or tricks or caveats I should be aware of in maintaining these pedals/cleats? There is no maintenance involved in the SPD pedals so I'm not familiar with the process. I want to make sure I keep them in perfect working order. Thanks!!

ILLUMINAIRE said:
Well, after a lot of debating and reading, I finally decided to switch out my SPD pedals for Speedplay Zeros. Believe it or not, I picked up a pair of the titanium version (new with cleats) for like $170 on Ebay. :) Anyway, I was just curious if anyone had any tips or tricks or caveats I should be aware of in maintaining these pedals/cleats? There is no maintenance involved in the SPD pedals so I'm not familiar with the process. I want to make sure I keep them in perfect working order. Thanks!!
Speedplay recommends that you grease the bearings every 2000 miles or more frequently if you ride in wet or dusty conditions. The Zero pedal’s built-in grease port makes greasing quick and easy. Remember, grease is cheap insurance and saves you money on replacing prematurely worn or damaged parts.

Waterproof wheel bearing grease works best. Speedplay uses waterproof bearing grease in its factory. Do not use thin viscosity grease, spray lubes, oil, or dry-type lubricants like White Lightning on pedal bearings.

Use a dry lube on the cleat springs and bowties about once a week as well.

So my White Lightning would be ok for the cleats? As for waterproof grease, is that fairly easy to come by? Is one brand better than another? Also, do I need any special tools for doing it?

ILLUMINAIRE said:
So my White Lightning would be ok for the cleats? As for waterproof grease, is that fairly easy to come by? Is one brand better than another? Also, do I need any special tools for doing it?
Yes, White Lighting is great for the cleats and bow ties edges on the pedals. As for re-greasing the spindles/bearings every 2000 miles, any waterproof bearing grease will work. Speedplay has a kit that you can buy with a needle injector as well.

In case you pedals don't come with instructions and maintenance instructions, here is a link to the page with the instructions:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.support
http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/zero_instructions050504.pdf

Awiner's got it covered, more or less. Use WhiteLightning or a similar dry lube, liberally, on the cleats, frequently. From time to time -- at the first sign of less-than-smooth movement, really -- open up the grease ports on the pedal bodies and blast them full of a good, stable waterproof grease.

Speedplays are great... enjoy!

ILLUMINAIRE said:
You can use marine grease which is waterproof. Speedplay sells a greasegun with a grease cartridge for about $25, you can order from them directly.

Out of curiosity, has anyone made their own "Grease Application" device for Speedplays ? Maybe using a empty plastic syringe or something ?

ILLUMINAIRE said:
Is one brand better than another? Also, do I need any special tools for doing it?
This isn't an application that requires too much concern; any good grease will do. A grease gun is helpful, because the whole idea is to blast that little port full of the stuff.

Pedros, for instance, makes a good grease and sells a gun -- the whole thing might set you back $15 or so, but it'll last a while and you'll find other uses.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I got the titanium pedals and there was TONS of information in the box on how to care for them. Speedplay definitely makes sure you have an answer to just about any question. It seemed confusing at first just due to the "information overload". I'm glad they provided so much info though.

I installed the pedals today and the cleats on my new DMT Ultimax RSX shoes. The default shims on the base plate fit the shoes perfectly so I did not have to make any changes. I must admit, it seemed to take a bit more pressure than I'm used to in order to engage the cleat. However, it became easier once I did it a few times more to break them in. I also got a little more used to the twisting motion they mention to help engage. It doesn't make all that much sense when you read it but when you do it a few times, you realize what they mean. It is no trouble at all now.

I did not care too much for the heel-in float. I was afraid if I left too much float there, I would end up scraping up the inside of the shoes on the bike frame. Setting the heel-in to zero float prevents this. I like the heel out float though and have it set almost to the max. I have not had a chance to go on a real ride with them yet but so far I am very impressed!

Power transfer with these carbon shoes and titanium pedals is CRAZY!! I did not necessarily believe all the "hype" but the pedals came highly recommended and, well, the shoes were just damn cool so I got them. hehe :) Anyway, it's all TRUE! I was amazed at how much extra power I was getting out of this pedal/shoe combination! I am able to accelerate at a blazing speed! It's like getting an extra push from behind! It is really no joke. I HIGHLY recommend getting these pedals and a pair of DMT Ultimax RSX shoes (or other carbon sole shoe. I guess the effect would be similar.) It's mind boggling how much energy/power I was wasting by using the other shoes/pedals. I can't wait to go riding this weekend! :D

Amazing isn't it ? That's why I highly recommend the Speedplays over other pedals.