Speedplay Zero Pedals & Sidi Genius 5 Shoes

cbjesseeNH

Jun 10, 2005
So many pages of warnings and alternatives with the instructions that came with pedals, cleats and on web sites.

Anyone have Speedplay Zero pedals & cleats with Sidi Genius 5 shoes?

What works? :confused:

Thanks.

I have Genius 5 Megas w/ Zero pedals. Great combo, but I don't think I understand your question. I pulled the insert off the bottom of the shoes and mounted the 4-hole adapter straight to the recessed area of the shoe. It reduced the sole-to-axle distance as well.

That's my shoe, and yes, that oval came out, though I can't remember how. I thought it was held on by screws.

When I get home this evening, I'd be happy to post pics of my shoes/cleats if it would help.

Ok, just took a good look at the bottoms, and I now remember the deal.

there are two sets of shims that snap to the bottom of the 4-hole adapter to make it match the curve of the shoe. I found that one set matches the curve of the sole of the shoe beneath that oval insert. So I removed the insert and mounted the 4-hole adapter (with shims) directly to the recessed area. Worked like a charm.

Let me know if you have any problems. It could be that your shoes are missing some hardware. The shims should have been in a little baggie inside the box.

Got it all togeter after exchanging my 45.5 shoes for 44.5. Now the cleat is directly under the ball of my foot.

A little dry lube on cleats and pedals, a few dozen ins and outs, and the pedals are working swell.:D

cbjesseeNH said:
Got it all togeter after exchanging my 45.5 shoes for 44.5. Now the cleat is directly under the ball of my foot.

A little dry lube on cleats and pedals, a few dozen ins and outs, and the pedals are working swell.:D
Excellent. You'll have good service and performance out of that shoe/pedal combo. I recommend setting the inward float so your foot stops just short of your heel touching the crankarms. Outward float can be whatever suits you.

Happy riding!

I'm looking at SIDI shoes, however I also want a shoe with native 4-hole mounting. I'm sick of the 3-hole to 4-hole conversion brackets. The Sidi site isn't very informative (photos, descriptions, etc) about which shoes do have 4-hole mountings. Can anyone help? Lists, etc?

Would be very grateful. :) Might even send you my old shoes! :)

(although from this thread, there may be more than meets the eye to Sidi)

I have them both. I had a little trouble getting the shims in place originally, but once they were setup, I have not had any problems at all, I love both. Good luck.

Balrog said:
I'm looking at SIDI shoes, however I also want a shoe with native 4-hole mounting. I'm sick of the 3-hole to 4-hole conversion brackets. The Sidi site isn't very informative (photos, descriptions, etc) about which shoes do have 4-hole mountings. Can anyone help? Lists, etc?

Would be very grateful. :) Might even send you my old shoes! :)

(although from this thread, there may be more than meets the eye to Sidi)

I also have been looking for a shoe with a native 4-hole mounting. I don't think that any of the major manufacturers are offering new models in a 4-hole sole. It looks like the Sidis with the Millenium sole can be fitted with an adapter ($22 US retail) that allows directly attaching a 4-hole cleat to the sole. This seems to be a little better (lower stack height) than using the 3-hole speedplay shims.

Now, their newer Ergo sole is 3mm thinner than the Millenium sole in the first place, so any benefit of the above solution to the 3-hole adapter is a wash since the Speedplay shims add 3mm to the cleat stack height.

If you have small or large feet (less than size 41 or more than 45) you may find some older, discontinued model Time or Carnac (also Northwave evolution sole, I think) shoes around that used to directly accomodate a 4-hole cleat. I need a 43, so discontinued models in that size disappeared long ago. Of course all of those brands now just have 3-hole.