Speedplay Zero Ti or Stainless?

Mcfly

Guest
Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Mcfly wrote:
> Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
> Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
> suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Can you see the difference between a Ti axis and a stainless steel one?
X series or Zero's? What color are they?

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Mcfly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
> Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
> suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Have you tried weighing them?

>Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti
>pedals and Speedplay stainless steel pedals?

With a magnet to the spindle?

I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
that these could not be titanium. The ti peddles are only available in
grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
if you don't have both types to compare.

Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

"Mcfly" <[email protected]> wrote

> Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

No, the Russian titanium climbing hardware that I have don't do this iron
kind of thing.

--
Mykal Crooks
Seattle, WA

Mcfly wrote:
> I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
> that these could not be titanium.

Yep I have blue Zero's and they are stainless steel. Keep the one you
got and get a refund. You're better of that way. Titanium spindle is a
bad idea anyway.

The ti peddles are only available in
> grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
> shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
> if you don't have both types to compare.
>
> Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
> accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

The scale have to be accuratie within 50 grams.

> Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

My titanium frame doesn't attract a magnet. My Zero stainless steel
spindles do.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

"Mcfly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I called Speedplay. The Zero pedals I received are blue, and I was told
> that these could not be titanium. The ti peddles are only available in
> grey, yellow, and red. He also mentioned that the ti spindles are
> shinier than the stainless steel spindles, which doesn't do much good
> if you don't have both types to compare.
>
> Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
> accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.
>
> Didn't think of the magnet idea. Would ti attract a magnet?

Good thing you spent the extra money for titanium.

Let the group if you figure out a way to tell the difference!

BobT

Why do you say that the titanium spindle is a bad idea? I know that
they have a maximum weight limit, so I'm guessing that there is a
strength issue. Any other disadvantages?

I'm guessing that if I had one of each set I could easily tell the
difference, either by weight or the appearance of the metal. The
problem is that I only had one set, and an inaccurate scale.

Mcfly wrote:
> Why do you say that the titanium spindle is a bad idea? I know that
> they have a maximum weight limit, so I'm guessing that there is a
> strength issue. Any other disadvantages?

Same dimensions, half the strenth, half the stiffness, titanium is
relatively soft and make a bad race for a needle bearing. And that for
50 grams lesser weight and 60 dollar extra. And worst of all you can't
even see the difference ;-).
If you weigh less than 70 kg (155 lbs) it's maybe OK I guess.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:22:26 +0200, Lou Holtman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My titanium frame doesn't attract a magnet. My Zero stainless steel
>spindles do.

Stainless OTOH exists in both magnet-attracted versions and non, even if
Ti is always not affected by magnets.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:22:26 +0200, Lou Holtman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>My titanium frame doesn't attract a magnet. My Zero stainless steel
>>spindles do.

> Stainless OTOH exists in both magnet-attracted versions and non, even if
> Ti is always not affected by magnets.

Then the Zero's stainless steel spindle is made of the magnet-attracted
version.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Mcfly wrote:

[snip]

> Yes, I tried weighing them on a kitchen scale, but I didn't trust the
> accuracy of the scale to make a definitive determination.

[snip]

Dear Mcfly,

For accurate weighing, you can just stop by the Post Office and use the
electronic postal scale in the lobby. Or use the ones found in most
businesses that mail out bills.

Carl Fogel

Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mcfly wrote:
>> Why do you say that the titanium spindle is a bad idea? I know that
>> they have a maximum weight limit, so I'm guessing that there is a
>> strength issue. Any other disadvantages?

>Same dimensions, half the strenth, half the stiffness, titanium is
>relatively soft and make a bad race for a needle bearing. And that for
>50 grams lesser weight and 60 dollar extra. And worst of all you can't
>even see the difference ;-).
>If you weigh less than 70 kg (155 lbs) it's maybe OK I guess.

Don't count on it... I weigh 150-155 and had a set of ti spindle
pedals on my road bike. One of them snapped, nearly tossing me into
heavy traffic (I bounced off the curb THREE times before getting the
bike under control). Trust me, this is something you do NOT want to
experience. As much as I love ti, it's not the right choice for
everything on a bike!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

> Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
> Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
> suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Perform mentioned magnet test. Spindle made out of titanium alloy won't
"attract" magnet, one made out of stainless (Speedplay uses magnetic 17-4
grade) will.

--
melon

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:53:57 -0700, Mark Hickey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Don't count on it... I weigh 150-155 and had a set of ti spindle
>pedals on my road bike. One of them snapped, nearly tossing me into
>heavy traffic (I bounced off the curb THREE times before getting the
>bike under control). Trust me, this is something you do NOT want to
>experience. As much as I love ti, it's not the right choice for
>everything on a bike!

In particular, it's never the right size for something that was designed
as a steel part, and then replaced by Ti without redesigning the part to
compensate for the different characteristics of Ti, I'd say. So, Ti
axles/spindles wherever, fine, but not if they're the same size as the
equivalent steel part.

Jasper

Mcfly wrote:
> Anyone know how to tell the difference between Speedplay Ti pedals and
> Speedplay stainless steel pedals? I ordered a set of Ti pedals and I
> suspect the set I received are stainless rather than Ti.

Weight will tell ya more than anything. I suspect altho the spindles
are stainless, a magnet will stick to it.