Speedplay Zero's?!

johncc48

Aug 22, 2003
Hey all,
I have put 2000 miles on a pair of CSC (red) speedplay zeros and have had them break twice now. Has anyone else had this problem?
The recessed nuts that hold the black plastic to the shoe have broken through and released the yellow plastic cleat now for the second time. The installation was done by the book at my LBS. The first time Speedplay asked for the part back and eventually replaced it under warranty. This is the second time it has happened on my left foot!!
Any comments or suggestions? Thanks
John :confused:

Be sure to lube the cleat release mechanism often, otherwise the cleat release gets a little tight when engaging and disengaging.

Also, are you (or the LBS) tightening the base screws too tight? Check Speedplays site for mounting instructions.

I have lubed these regularly and it wasn't the base screws that broke the plastic but the recessed nuts in the black plastic base that mate with the machine screws coming from and holding the metal plate. Seems the weak point is the plastic (black layer) that retains these nuts fails allowing the yellow plastic to pull away from the black (broken base layer)!
John

Is the base plate flush with the shoe? The install instructions reference a shim for certain shoe types.

It does sound like the four screws holding the metal plate on are overtightened.

It very well could be just a weak plastic piece -- have you asked Speedplay?

DaveB1234 said:
Is the base plate flush with the shoe? The install instructions reference a shim for certain shoe types.

It does sound like the four screws holding the metal plate on are overtightened.

It very well could be just a weak plastic piece -- have you asked Speedplay?
Agree with Dave's comments; likely problem sounds like the base shim under the cleat isn't mating with the shoe properly, or the shoe isn't compatible with the shim. I use the Zero cleats on Carnac shoes, with the matching UCS-3 adapter and the fit is solid with no problems. Are you sure everything is compatible, per the Speedplay list?

Good points. Speedplay is looking at the previous return now. I'm using Specialized Carbon shoes that are wide and didn't need shims to fit the cleat. Maybe we'll send both the shoe and cleat back to Speedplay to review. I likw the Zeros better that the X-2's I have on my other shoes from a previous bike. Never had any problems with the X-2 setup.

John