Speedplay zeros

redmarkerdown

Jun 11, 2006
So I just got my zeros installed but I am having trouble clipping in and out it seems rather hard to do. I have checked the site but couldn't find anything to fix my problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Could be that you switched up the cleats. You may have the left on the right and vice versa. Another thing to look for is that the opening in the metal cleat part is on the inside of the shoe. I am basing this off of my Speedplay X pedals so the Zeros may not be the exact same, but I would assume theyre similar.

redmarkerdown said:
So I just got my zeros installed but I am having trouble clipping in and out it seems rather hard to do. I have checked the site but couldn't find anything to fix my problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks
You may have an issue with the fit of the cleats to the shoe. As I recall, the cleats come with about four different optional shim sets. If the shoe base isn't shimmed flat, the cleat will distort when it's clamped down with the screws. As the mounting directions illustrate, you'll need to chose the correct shim set to get the perfect flat surface depending on the shoes you've got.

If you put the cleat on too tight on the shoe, you will have problems clipping in and out. The spring is actually in the cleat, so if you screwed the cleat too tight, the spring won't engage or release.

-Matt

You need to oil (Dry) them the first few times using them, put a few drops in each cleat. Also make sure you didn't over tighten them. Also I would try them on the trainer a few times before riding.

I use Zero's and had problems for the first few times using them, but they do break in and rock once this happens!

redmarkerdown said:
Thanks, but none of these are my problem.

Check again to make sure that the cleat base is absolutely flat on the sole of the shoe. Even very slight warping can make the cleat not work properly. Also check again that the 4 screws that hold the spring clip on to the cleat base are not too tight. By the way, the one time that I called the speedplay customer service phone number, the guy who answered was very helpful. Try giving them a call if you can't get it worked out on your own.

I tried a mixture of shims, which went against the directions (so I don't sound soooo stupid), and I ended up getting it to work out.

Thanks all!

redmarkerdown said:
I tried a mixture of shims, which went against the directions (so I don't sound soooo stupid), and I ended up getting it to work out.

Thanks all!
To get speedplay cleats to work properly on my specialized road shoes, I had to do some supplemental shimming with custom cut pieces of thin plastic (actually a suggestion from their customer service).