speedplays and crashing

hwttdz

Sep 28, 2003
Ok from time to my knees are getting sore from training, and I'm not too happy with the performance of my pedals. I'm looking at a new pair of speedplay pedals, I think the type I'm using now is spd. Anyhow my current worry about these is that if you crashed your feet wouldn't unclip and you could do some serious damage. I'm sure someone at speedplay has thought of this and they have a brilliant reason or design to avoid this problem. Someone please allay my fears and tell me why I shouldn't worry.

Originally posted by hwttdz
Ok from time to my knees are getting sore from training, and I'm not too happy with the performance of my pedals. I'm looking at a new pair of speedplay pedals, I think the type I'm using now is spd. Anyhow my current worry about these is that if you crashed your feet wouldn't unclip and you could do some serious damage. I'm sure someone at speedplay has thought of this and they have a brilliant reason or design to avoid this problem. Someone please allay my fears and tell me why I shouldn't worry.
There's always a small learning curve in adapting to a new pedal system -- it'll take your body a little ime to adjust to any new element of muscle memory. In that sense, conciously clicking in and out is something you'll get just fine.

I think what you're asking, though, is whether or not the Speedplay retention system is so secure that in the event of a crash, there's potential for twisting a leg off. Well, I've never had a terrible crash using Speedplays, but I've had a few minor spills, and my feet have always disengaged when necessary.

Though Speedplay's float is about the floatiest in the business, it's still nothing compared to what your foot can do in a wacky spill. They seem to come apart when they need to. I wouldn't worry about it.

Take care, L

Originally posted by lokstah

Though Speedplay's float is about the floatiest in the business, it's still nothing compared to what your foot can do in a wacky spill. They seem to come apart when they need to. I wouldn't worry about it.

Take care, L

Ditto what he said, on both Frogs and X-series.
Mike

Agree on the basic design being "safe" in a crash. However, speedplays (at least my Zeros) are pretty sensitive to grit on the pedals. They can jam and be very difficult to release when a small amount of dirt or sand gets into the pedal slot or cleat clip.

I seem to have problems with them on Century rides where I tramp around on grass or sand at rest stops just a little. Like the pedals a lot, but it's frustrating to pull in at the end of a Century ride and not be able to unclip one foot or the other. (Thankfully, never had both cleats jam at the same time).

Understand no design is perfect for all conditions, and as I said, I like the speedplays a lot.

Though I still think they're one of the best systems on the market, I can confirm dhk's complaint; they're also one of the more dirt-sensitive models available.

If you spend very little time walking in grime, you'll never notice it (that's me, most of the time). If you do tend to step in dirt and sand a lot, be prepared to break that habit, or buy Speedplay's handy cleat covers.

Yep, agree on the "Cafe Covers" for Speedplays. I carry them with me in the seat wedge, but rarely take the time to use them unless I'm walking some distance. I've been caught out on club rides by hopping back on the bike with the covers on.

Just need to get in the habit of using the covers, but it's a bit of extra hassle for a quick rest stop.

Originally posted by hwttdz
where can one get these cafe covers?
As the commercials would say, if they made Speedplay commercials: available wherever Speedplay pedals are sold.

They're an official product.

Called Coffee Shop Covers, I think.

Have fun out there!

Ditto to what everyone says about speedplays - I LOVE em and have been using them since I went clipless (some years ago).

frogs for the mtb and xs for the road.

I have had no knee pain while using these (I've had chronic knee pain in the past).

I also carry the coffee shop covers if I think I'll be needing them. It really does suck to walk without them!

Yes, they are called "Coffee Shop Covers". I got mine from Performance or Nashbar, can't remember which, for about $10.

Regular use will protect the expensive Speedplay cleats from wear, keep grit out of the narrow slots in the pedals, and also give you better traction when you walk on slick floors. OK, I plan to carry mine tomorrow and start using them.

I have Speedplay X-series on two of my bikes. I've had some problems clipping in when cleats get sandy/dirty/gritty but never any problems releasing.

I did once accidentally unclip. I first got the X-1's and used those for about a year. I then got the X-3's for my winter/rain/beater bike. I didn't know that the X-3's release earlier and I'm out on a ride and I stood and twisted to look back behind me and I unclipped! I fell onto the top tube and my feet skidded along the pavement. At least I didn't go down!

Originally posted by Gonzo Bob
I did once accidentally unclip. I first got the X-1's and used those for about a year. I then got the X-3's for my winter/rain/beater bike. I didn't know that the X-3's release earlier...
X3s release earlier? Are you sure?

I suppose it's possible that your X3s have an easier release than your X1s as a unique quirk, but if they're designed that way, it's news to me.

My understanding is that the various X pedals only differ from one another in terms of spindle material and internal bearing configuration. Am I wrong?

Originally posted by lokstah
X3s release earlier? Are you sure?

I suppose it's possible that your X3s have an easier release than your X1s as a unique quirk, but if they're designed that way, it's news to me.

My understanding is that the various X pedals only differ from one another in terms of spindle material and internal bearing configuration. Am I wrong?

That was my understanding as well. My toes are still curled after reading Gonzo's story. That had to hurt!
Bone

All the x system pedals are designed to have the same release angle, and use the same cleats. If one releases earlier than another, it's not by design. It's a quirk of that particular pedal set or the cleats maybe.