Road Cycling · Public discussion

"Spending more time with his kids"?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 1 post · 385 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 February 2008
Last activity
7 February 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
385
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Home > The M.O. > Archives > 2008 > February > 04 > Entry

    Lance Armstrong loses his cool (Band of Horses does not)
    By Matthew Odam | Monday, February 4, 2008, 01:18 PM

    After watching the Super Bowl at an incredible party (thank you, John
    and Mandy), I was fortunate enough to grab a ticket (thank you, Sarah)
    and a ride (thank you, Blake and Peter) to the sold-out Band of Horses
    show at La Zona Rosa. I was not planning to write up the show, but
    after a strong performance, and an even more interesting post-show
    experience, I felt compelled.

    I, like many of my friends, have been underwhelmed by the poor and
    inconsistent sound at La Zona Rosa, but last night's show may have
    been one of the best shows I have seen there in terms of the sound
    design. On the heels of their 2006 debut, 'Everything All the Time,'
    received top 10 mentions across the country, Band of Horses released
    their second album last year, 'Cease to Begin,' a strong showing but
    one that lacks the emotional force and hooks of the debut. The band,
    however, leaned heavily on 'Everything All the Time' early Sunday
    night, opening with three songs from the first album, before playing
    some new tunes and covering J.J. Cale's 'Thirteen Days.' The
    overwhelmingly enthusiastic response to the set's opening tunes
    prompted Horses frontman Ben Bridwell to proclaim that the Austin
    audience was the best of their tour.

    Although many of the band members have come to play with Bridwell in
    just the past year, the band had a chemistry and tightness that belied
    their nascent formation. Beyond being astounded that I could hear each
    of the (at times) four guitars, as well as the keyboard player -- who
    looked like Bridwell plucked him from the Charlie Daniels Band -- I was
    most impressed with Bridwell's vocal range. Going into the show I was
    curious as to whether his delicate yet powerful melodies would
    translate out of the studio to the stage. The answer quite simply was
    the realization that the singer from South Carolina has one of the
    best voices in the business.

    OK, now back to the headline. (Talk about burying the lede. And now,
    excuse me, as I go minor-celebrity-reporter on you for a second.)
    After the show, people were gathered at the adjacent Backstage Bar,
    drinking beers, talking about the show, and catching glimpses of and
    brief words with the band. Seven-time Tour de France winner Lance
    Armstrong, who had been at the concert with a couple of buddies, took
    leave of the bar around 1 a.m. and apparently forgot that it is
    illegal to take drinks from the club out to the streets. Backstage
    door man Sean Higgins, obviously not concerned with the celebrity of
    the person who was breaking the law, quickly ran over to Armstrong and
    his pal and rather forcefully made it clear that the guys could not
    walk off with drinks. Armstrong at first seemed surprised and briefly
    cordial, but that soon gave way to fierce indignation. Having taken
    the drinks from Armstrong and friend, Higgins returned to his post at
    the door. But, possibly due to being called out in front of a few
    dozen people, Armstrong, apparently having taken exception to the
    manner in which Higgins was performing his job, would not go quietly
    into that good night.

    He returned to the door, full of sound and fury. Higgins, who has
    worked at the Backstage Bar for four-and-a-half years, made it quite
    clear that he had no interest in Armstrong's celebrity or defense of
    his actions. Armstrong, not willing to drop the issue, flailingly
    tried to retake whatever sense of pride he apparently felt was taken
    from him, by berating Higgins while his friends stood at his side.
    With a finger that came inches from Higgins' face, Armstrong,
    according to Higgins, let loose a series of threats that concluded
    with the time-worn threat of "You'll never work at this bar again."
    Higgins, who apparently didn't get the memo that nobody puts Lance in
    the corner, scoffed at the irate Armstrong, who then left to a series
    of under-breath cat calls and one patron labeling Armstrong as
    overrated (the cleanest of the insults softly launched his way.)
    Bizarre end to an excellent night. I'm sure Higgins is on Career
    Builder as I type. (Not really.)

    A note of clarification: Although I thought I made the point clear
    already, I will say that I think Armstrong's aggravation came from the
    way he felt he was treated. It is (and was) his right to express
    displeasure, it was the manner in which he did it that drew the
    attention.

    UPDATE - Lance Armstrong responds

    I recently got off the phone with a friendly and apologetic Armstrong,
    who called to discuss the events of last night. Armstrong says that he
    was mostly shocked by the way in which Higgins originally approached
    him, but was contrite in admitting that he was in the wrong for the
    way in which he overreacted.

    "Listen, I was totally out of line," Armstrong said.

    Although Armstrong says he was in the wrong, he felt that the door man
    in question could have handled the situation better, as well. "You
    know, give us a warning. He walked over and nearly tackled us as if he
    had warned us four or five times. He was so aggressive without any
    warning. Believe me, man, if somebody says, 'You can not take these
    beers out of here,' I'll just throw them away or go back inside. I've
    got no problem with that. I wasn't looking for any special rules or
    treatment."

    Armstrong confessed that despite feeling he wasn't given any warning
    before being confronted, he should have responded differently. "I
    don't need to do that (respond the way he did), though. Two wrongs
    don't make a right."

    Permalink | Comments (76) | Post your comment Categories: Misc.

    Comments
    Click here to report comment abuse.

    By By non-cyclist

    February 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Link to this

    I totally agree with "Cyclist". Because he is capable of riding a
    bike, it makes him so brilliant and smart that the politicians want
    him - how original! Oh yeah, and I almost forgot, he is the only
    person in the entire world who ever overcame cancer. That makes him
    even more a celebrity. Guess I could go on that his wife and kiddies
    put up with him through the non-so-famous years, then I guess they
    just held him back for his future gigs once he became so incredibly
    famous from being able to ride a bike and overcome cancer. See, thats
    the explanation for the scene at the bar. He's better.

    By Flat Tire

    February 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Link to this

    It's not the first time and surely not the last time that Lance has
    fluffed up his tail feathers and thrown out his chest and acted like a
    big spoiled crybaby who didn't get his way?

    Lance - We like seeing you in the vacinity of your buddy Matthew. Oh
    wait..we just like seeing your buddy Matthew.

    Who are you again?

    By no thank you

    February 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Link to this

    lance, you do not impress us. never have. never will.

    oh, and thanks for ruining hamilton pool. you're a really cool guy all
    around.

    By Laws for all of us

    February 4, 2008 2:21 PM | Link to this

    Maybe - just - maybe justice was served. The guy puts his pants on the
    same way as the rest of us do. It maybe time that he (lance) looks
    into, "Do I have a Drinking Problem", maybe Amy Winehouse, needs to
    get together with him and look into it. Big-shotism, that is what
    Lance suffers from. Many have over come difficulties in our lives, we
    don't get to go around and belittle others when we are then treated
    like the rest of the world.

    By Tavo

    February 4, 2008 2:22 PM | Link to this

    Roid rage?

    By sajid sanchez

    February 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Link to this

    I am not suprised that he pulled his "celebrity card" again. I was a
    huge fan of his until we met him and he tried get with my friends
    sister, unsuccessful, and started with his "I'm Lance Armstrong
    crusade." Cure Cancer Lance and I'll be a fan of yours again.

    By Austin hates success

    February 4, 2008 2:24 PM | Link to this

    The bouncer was trying to get a reaction by the snotty remark about
    saying he didn't care how many Tours Lance won right off the bat.
    Typical Austin mentality, tear down others to make yourself feel
    better. Maybe Lance genuinely forgot that he couldn't take a drink
    out? The bouncer, like so many others here, couldn't pass up an
    opportunity to insult someone who actually accomplished something
    great in their life, while he is just a bouncer. Lance sounds like he
    over reacted, but he didn't deserve to be treated that way.

    By Genie

    February 4, 2008 2:25 PM | Link to this

    Is Higgins French?

    By Henry Higgins

    February 4, 2008 2:29 PM | Link to this

    Give us real celebrities

    By Werent' you somebody once

    February 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Link to this

    Lance had a similiar run in with a poor slob that deigned to actually
    use part of the road Lance was biking on some years ago. But then,
    "Bad Lance" was not well known as he is now so that guy went to jail.

    "All fame is fleeting" Lance. You're just one American Tour de France
    winnner from oblivion...just like the guy who got shot and then won the
    Tour....what was his name?

    By Christine Rose

    February 4, 2008 2:36 PM | Link to this

    "Talk about burying the lede..."

    should that be "lead," rather than "lede?"

    the Statesman level of copy editing is extraordinarily low and has
    worsened significantly in recent months.

    By Matthew Odam

    February 4, 2008 2:44 PM | Link to this

    FYI, folks: I can not approve your comments that have cuss words in
    them, regardless of how clever they are.

    By thad

    February 4, 2008 2:49 PM | Link to this

    "lede" is actually correct. It is a journalistic term and is spelled
    differently than "lead".

    By Sam Armstrong

    February 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Link to this

    Lead and lede are pretty much interchangeable. But let me tell you
    this - if it HAD been a misspelling, I would have TOTALLY lost all
    context, gotten confused and probably would have demanded my money
    back.

    By Jack

    February 4, 2008 2:51 PM | Link to this

    No Christine. It's lede, look it up.

    By Ricky

    February 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Link to this

    Thats Sad that Lance must act like that. Do you know who I am. Most
    people know who Lance is and what he has done, but that should not get
    him a free pass. I actually know Sean, who was like a big brother to
    me when I was growing up. He is an exellent person and glad to hear he
    kept his cool considering Armstrong was acting a fool. Sean could have
    easily wrapped Lance up like a handle bar on his 10 speed before Lance
    could have even realised that pointing a finger is not very cordial.
    Way to go Sean !!!

    By Brett

    February 4, 2008 2:54 PM | Link to this

    Maybe he was just being drunk and obnoxious? Is he not allowed to be
    drunk and obnoxious every once in awhile?

    By Geezhus

    February 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Link to this

    C'mon M.O, can't you just add in a few of those f&c#@ng symbols for
    us?

    By Howdy Dooty

    February 4, 2008 2:59 PM | Link to this

    To all those blasting the door man. I would like to point out that the
    door man was totally in his right to grab those drinks however he
    needed to handle it. A person walking out of a TABC licensed bar with
    drink in hand can result in high fines for the venue and/or, the venue
    getting shut down/losing their permit to sell alcohol. Lance was in
    the wrong, and could have gone to jail for public disturbance/drunk in
    public. Bottom line, whoever you are, it's not cool to try to make
    someone feel lesser than you just because of your status or celebrity.
    I would suggest to Lance he grow up.

    By bearejay

    February 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Link to this

    "Lede" is correct. The NYT has a blog called The Lede and gives this
    explanation:

    In the news business, the opening sentences of a story are referred to
    as its "lede" -- spelled that way, journalism lore has it, to avoid
    confusion with the lead typesetting that once dominated newspaper
    printing presses.

    Why so anti-Lance people? I imagine most people have acted like a jerk
    after a few drinks at some point in their lives. Most of us have the
    advantage of not having it reported in the newspaper. I don't see this
    as a good reason to tear him and his accomplishments apart.

    By Egos Maniac

    February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

    I worked the door at a bar on south congress for a few years before
    it's recent transformation. i can assure you that if the TABC had been
    there, Sean would have lost his job. Period. They don't care who is
    involved. Unless Lance is willing to support Sean and pay his bills,
    he needs to do what the people who work in these bars ask him to do or
    move to Dallas where more people will be impressed with him.

    By to austin hates success

    February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

    "Maybe Lance genuinely forgot that he couldn't take a drink out?"
    Seriously? Do you drink? I have never met a person who has genuinely
    forgot they can not take alcohol on public streets in Austin, unless
    they were wasted. I am sure Lance goes out on a regular basis like the
    rest of us. He is just living the dream.

    By rach

    February 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Link to this

    it's too bad that lance, being a great athelete and cancer surviving
    role model that he is, has to represent himself so poorly. he's lived
    in austin long enough to know that we don't get star struck or give
    star treatment to anyone. that's what makes this town so awesome.
    equality, baby.

    By Marie

    February 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Link to this

    Lance you better watch out and remember the bigger they are the harder
    they fall. If you think you are so big you better watch out for that
    sudden stop!!!

    By Mike

    February 4, 2008 3:06 PM | Link to this

    Maybe he'll get cancer again.

    By barfly

    February 4, 2008 3:10 PM | Link to this

    Lance owns the bar called "Six". unlikely that he doesn't know the
    rules.

    By Nate

    February 4, 2008 3:17 PM | Link to this

    I am just guessing here, but I don't think Higgins intended to put
    down Armstrong by saying he didn't care about how many Tours he'd won.
    I think he was stating requirements under TABC and local law
    enforcement. It does not matter if the guy is Rick Perry or Kinky
    Friedman. Taking an alcoholic beverage outside of a venue, meaning
    open street or totally off the premises, is breaking the law. It could
    cost the bar their liquor license or result in a suspension/fine.
    Others could be arrested. Higgins was trying to keep himself out of
    jail, as well as Lance...open container laws, eh?

    By TommyR

    February 4, 2008 3:19 PM | Link to this

    A good door man/bouncer is discreet, polite, and expert at defusing
    situations. A good door man/bouncer plays the situation as your friend
    who is doing you a favor. This is unless you want to create a
    commotion and lose customers. Seems like Higgins "forcefully made it
    clear" otherwise.

    By Darren

    February 4, 2008 3:28 PM | Link to this

    "who like he Bridwell stole him from the Charlie Daniels Band"

    this is a grammatical gem...

    By Flat Tire

    February 4, 2008 3:29 PM | Link to this

    THANK YOU for not letting a obnoxious guy get away with breaking the
    law just because of his celebrity status. The door man/bouncer was
    doing his job.

    Now perhaps Lance should do HIS.

    HE wants to be this celebrity who's admired and respected.

    Then give us something to respect.

    By DK

    February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

    I hear a lot of people complain about the sound at La Zona Rosa. It
    really is a black and white concert venue. If you are to the right
    side of the pillars, the sound is consistently exceptional. It's only
    when you are to the left of the pillars that the sound quality
    dramatically drops. My guess is that most of the people who say they
    don't like the sound are standing off to that left side.

    By Debbie

    February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

    Life is short.Treat others as you want to be treated.I just want to
    say"Thanks to Lance for all his fund raising for people with cancer. I
    count myself lucky to be here too.

    By frenchkiss

    February 4, 2008 3:37 PM | Link to this

    The real stupper is the writer of the article. The isn't news or even
    interesting commentary. But no news is no news. Lance did good and we
    are jealous. I considering deleting this page.

    fK

    By frenchkiss

    February 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Link to this

    The real stupper is the writer of the article. The isn't news or even
    interesting commentary. But no news is no news. Lance did good and we
    are jealous. I'm considering deleting this page.

    fK

    By Natalie

    February 4, 2008 3:47 PM | Link to this

    I commend Lance on all of his accomplishments... But for those of you
    who are saying " When your drunk, everyone has a right to forget that
    you can't take drinks out of a bar" Where are you from, New Orleans?
    You can not take drinks out of a bar in Austin and even when I have
    been very intoxicated I did not forget that. Remember Lance, It's not
    football season and you are not tailgating! And winning the tour de
    france and beating cancer does not get you out of jail and it
    certainly does not allow you to be disrespectful to local Austinites.

    By elvislives

    February 4, 2008 3:51 PM | Link to this

    Frenchkiss, seriously? This a not-newsworthy article yet it inspired a
    comment from you?

    Allow me to take the time to let you know that I will no longer take
    the time. Furthermore, I will make an outlandish comment calling for
    the deletion an internet page. You know, because I am the page editor
    of the internets and this is just another example of tube clogging,
    not-newsworthy journalism.

    Just enjoy the read or move on. The show rocked, sound quality much
    better at LZR than purported by others and a local celeb made a fool
    of himself. That's newsworthy to me.

    By Lawrence

    February 4, 2008 3:53 PM | Link to this

    How shockingly irresponsible to report on second-hand "hearsay"
    reports about a non-story from unreliable sources. Go back to
    reporting for People magazine.

    Fortunately, losers like me who take the time to post comments have
    little affect on the world, and the majority of comments on this
    complete non-story shows only that losers who post on the Internet
    generally have nothing better to do than artificially elevate
    themselves by condescendingly, self-righteously, and wholly-
    anonymously telling a celebrity how to live their lives. Has anyone
    here ever been confronted by a jacka$$ bouncer? Is it POSSIBLE that
    Lance took umbridge to the way in which the bouncer took the drink,
    not the mere fact that he took it? And even if Lance was a jerk, I
    wonder how any of these posters would look if they had their lives
    recorded under a microscope. Yes, he should have shrugged it off, but
    even taking this report at face value is no big deal. Really a non-
    story.

    By JustWondering

    February 4, 2008 4:04 PM | Link to this

    Lawrence:

    Lance, is that you? Didn't anonymously bumping yourself go out with
    MacKay's blunder?

    By Vance Vader

    February 4, 2008 4:17 PM | Link to this

    Lance,

    No one gives a [censored] WHO you are.

    And oh yeah, don't drink and ride your bike.

    By Roger Clemens

    February 4, 2008 4:28 PM | Link to this

    Why you guys giving Lance such a hard time? Sometimes after I eat a
    bunch of HEB beef and then get a needle of vitamin B I GO CRAZY!!!!
    Like in a total rage. That stuff just happens.

    By telluride

    February 4, 2008 4:49 PM | Link to this

    I remember when 6th Street clubs used to give you cups to pour your
    beer into and take with you. Times have changed. Regardless, agreed
    the bouncer made a snoddy remark, but Lance overreacted.

    By lancealot

    February 4, 2008 4:55 PM | Link to this

    FrenchKISS you rock. DELETE!

    SLaL

    By robert tillotson

    February 4, 2008 4:59 PM | Link to this

    I too was there and witnessed it..this was not that big of a
    deal....people walk around with beers all of the time..look at some of
    the homeless people...that bar gets people loaded on yeager shots every
    night, do not make this a big deal folks. By the way, this was one of
    the better shows in a long while...download them soon, you will be
    happy, great road tripping music! You do not bust Willie for pot and
    you do not bust Lance for a cold beer! Find a better cause to report
    folks!

    By FBA

    February 4, 2008 5:34 PM | Link to this

    Vote french kiss for membership into vegan entourage.

    I walk out of bars with my drink all the time; what's the big deal, I
    paid for it, it's mine.

    So Lance got upset... he was drinking. Lance gives back to our community
    more than most and Lance is not over-rated (unlike Wayne Gretzky).

    Lance negativity is envy coupled with cheater pumpkin eater. You can't
    cheat on a bike race you can only cheat on taxes, your wife and
    presidential elections.

    By clarity

    February 4, 2008 5:45 PM | Link to this

    FYI, Lance had nothing to do with the pollution at Hamilton Pool,
    that's related to upstream (poorly done) development. He was involved
    in the Dead Man's Hole debacle, which has since been cleaned up (at
    his expense).

    By Jim

    February 4, 2008 7:02 PM | Link to this

    Just another reason we should not name bikeways or schools after
    living persons. Memo to council--can we get a new name for the
    bikeway.

    By Donald

    February 4, 2008 7:04 PM | Link to this

    Using words from New York City in Austin? Oh my, oh my!!! If Lance was
    in NYC no one would ever have heard of this and the dumb bouncer
    probably wouldn´t have known enough to reference the 7 TdF wins. Lance
    should get to a decent sized town quickly and it´ll be Austin´s lose!

    By David

    February 4, 2008 7:24 PM | Link to this

    Lance you are from Texas. Nobody should have to tell you that it is
    illegal to leave leave the bar with drink in hand. The fact that you
    felt you could is evidence enough. How many times have any of you been
    at a bar and thought you could leave with a drink? There is no doubt
    you have accomplished great things Lance. But this is a p*ick move!

    By bevo not

    February 4, 2008 7:54 PM | Link to this

    The guy represents the typical me-first, me-important mentality of
    most people with a little money, a little fame. It's certainly not the
    first time it's been seen. That's why it's so disgusting to see people
    worship his being as much as they do.

    By MC

    February 4, 2008 8:00 PM | Link to this

    You have to give Armstrong a lot of credit for owning up to his
    overreaction. He could've sent his reps to spin it like the bouncer
    was a total jerk, but he didn't. To me, he comes off as a totally
    imperfect standup guy,

    By otromundo

    February 4, 2008 8:18 PM | Link to this

    I'm with TommyR who said "A good door man/bouncer plays the situation
    as your friend who is doing you a favor." Instead too many play out
    their little power trip fantasies. Lance responded the same way many
    of us respond to obnoxious people, at a bar or otherwise. The
    difference is precisely because of Lance's celebrity he's milked the
    next day for someone's low-rent gossip column. Elevate.

    By Mammo

    February 4, 2008 8:24 PM | Link to this

    I probably would have gotten upset, too. I've come across too many
    bouncers on a power trip to think this is just a case of a celebrity
    throwing a sanctimonious fit. Sounds like both of them needed to get
    over themselves.

    By By: Jeff

    February 4, 2008 8:25 PM | Link to this

    I have know Sean for a long time. He is like a brother to me. I think
    Lance was out of line. Lance acts like this is the first time he's
    ever been to Austin or that he's never been in the downtown night
    scene. Lance, you're supposed to be a role model but you're not
    setting a good example for others. You know the rules and should abide
    by them like every one else has to. I also don't think you should have
    gone back making threats. You should have just left. Grow up, Lance. I
    applaude you, Sean. You did the right thing. Keep it up brother.

    By E. M.

    February 4, 2008 8:31 PM | Link to this

    Of course Armstrong blames it on Higgins. I highly doubt Higgins was
    forceful in merely telling him no alcohol outside the bar. Typical
    Lance he thinks he's above it all. I have to wonder if you were asked
    to insert your last paragraph. Make no mistake about it - Armstrong is
    only sorry he was seen as being the egomaniac and narcissist he is.
    He's sorry but it was Higgins' fault that he acted that way. You may
    have money and fame Lance Armstrong but you're a joke and money won't
    buy you any class. Dan Coyle (Armstrong's War) and David Walsh (From
    Lance to Landis) had your number a loooong time ago.

    By La Raza

    February 4, 2008 8:40 PM | Link to this

    Hey everybody!! Get a life!!

    By word on the street

    February 4, 2008 8:44 PM | Link to this

    there sure are a lot of stories about lance throwing spoiled hissy
    fits in public. makes one wonder why? if he was a really nice guy,
    wouldn't there be more stories about that?

    By Betsy

    February 4, 2008 8:45 PM | Link to this

    one word: LOSER

    By dbag

    February 4, 2008 8:54 PM | Link to this

    everyone living in Austin has a "Lance is a dirt bag who hit on my
    daughter-sister-girlfriend-mom" story. Dude needs to grow up.

    I thought he was "Spending more time with his kids"?

    By JGM

    February 4, 2008 8:59 PM | Link to this

    I was at a silent benefit auction recently, and a signed jersey of
    Lance's was up for bid. The auction lasted 4 hours, and his jersey
    garnered a total of 0 bids. On the other hand a day at a local spa
    went for 1,000 bucks. I myself got a nice signed Kevin Durant ball for
    $500. Point of story. NO ONE CARES ABOUT LANCE. HE IS SO OVER.

    By jlm

    February 4, 2008 9:08 PM | Link to this

    Guys with real celebrity and power never really have to use it.
    Threatening a door man doing his job is pretty low class and shows a
    huge level of insecurity.

    Lance, man, you were the MAN! Now be a big man and stop leaving
    bruises on your adoring public.

    Get a grip on your potential and live up to it, ddude, cause you are
    breaking a whole lot of hearts.

    Take stock of your life and live it like the champion you were on a
    bike. Hey, Lance, you are now off the bike, so it is time to get it
    together and make the next couple of acts in your life --- world class.

    Go apologize to that door man and show the world that you really still
    area champion.

    By Dave

    February 4, 2008 9:11 PM | Link to this

    The truth always lies somewhere in the middle. Both parties were at
    fault and neither was a good role model for their trade that night.

    By MCH

    February 4, 2008 9:24 PM | Link to this

    So I open my mail box and I get this months Texas Monthly. I look at
    the cover and there is his Lanceness with the words "The Future" in
    big florescent red block letters..... you can't blame the guy for being
    a little conceited.

    By richard

    February 4, 2008 10:27 PM | Link to this

    Lance and his little ego is bigger than his cycling in France. I don't
    care for Lance and his cause. I don't support him in any way and I did
    vote against his cancer bill. Lance go home we do not need you as much
    as you think.

    By rafa

    February 4, 2008 10:46 PM | Link to this

    Yo what's up with all the Lance bashing? First of all the guy admitted
    he was also wrong, and if he weren't a celebrity we wouldn't even know
    about this story. It sounds like the door guy was fronting too, which
    hardly bodes well for the club. Second of all, and most importantly,
    Lance Armstrong has done alot of good for alot of people. He's given,
    and continues to give more than most, and he doesn't have to. And
    frankly there are many people who give nothing-perhaps some of you
    reading this comment, or whom have written previously. You don't need
    money to offer your services either. So please take it easy on the
    guy, and chill. Lest you look foolish yourselves

    By Michael

    February 5, 2008 7:36 AM | Link to this

    Sorry Lance, No BYE on this one. You know the Rules, Everyone old
    enough to drink has probably tried and been warned about taking drinks
    outside the door. IF at your age, you've still not received that
    warning a few dozen times, then you've truly lived a charmed life.

    By Helen

    February 5, 2008 9:08 AM | Link to this

    Great report -- and it got picked up on frontburner, Dallas' best-read
    blog -- but why the italicized postscript? Did Lance get mad at you,
    too? Tell, tell.

    By Matthew Rampage

    February 5, 2008 9:34 AM | Link to this

    Lance is on the radio with Dudley abd Bob right now spilling his side
    of the beans.

    By Ames Tiedeman

    February 5, 2008 9:37 AM | Link to this

    Look, these things happen. All will be forgotten. This is just a bit
    of life. This is just a bit of Austin, Texas! Lance is a great hero. I
    am not going to pass judgement on him or Higgins. Higgins obviously
    does his job well. Life would be too boring if everyone was perfect
    100% of the time. Be good, Ames F. Tiedeman

    By AGuyinAustin

    February 5, 2008 10:28 AM | Link to this

    I think it's so very easy to tear down when one doesn't know all the
    facts and forgets that people are people, regardless of celebrity,
    income, or accomplishments. To read the comments above - the majority
    simply vicious and catty - does not reflect the Austin I know and
    love.

    I've been there, done that in similar situations and am thankful that,
    like most of you, I'm not being villified the following morning or
    having to write a public apology. Regardless of what you think of this
    incident, my take is Lance is a solid representative of Austin and
    even more importantly the cancer community. Oh, and he manned up about
    this afterwards, too.

    By Edward

    February 5, 2008 11:40 AM | Link to this

    Manning up would be apologizing to the door guy, not the guy that
    happened to report it.

    By Mimi

    February 5, 2008 12:05 PM | Link to this

    I have a close friend who works in the sports media... in deference to
    her professionalism, I won't identify her or her national broadcast
    network. She's experienced a couple run ins with Armstrong and heard
    about other incidents, where he tries to blatantly "use' his celebrity
    to his personal advantage. She personally discovered he can be a very
    unpleasant person when he's out of the spotlight and drinking.

    At other times, he's just your run of the mill SOB with an overblown
    sense of entitlement.

    By marcus

    February 5, 2008 2:41 PM | Link to this

    Note to self: do not read #%$@*&!!

    By flasky

    February 5, 2008 7:51 PM | Link to this

    Wow. On my four (to date) visits to Austin, I had been fooled into
    thinking it was an oasis of rational thought. Thanks for dispelling
    that notion. You're just as petty and ignorant as the rest of Texas.
    I'd like to see some of you ride 20 miles, not to mention 2000-plus
    over three weeks. Go do something significant so you can move out of
    your parents' basements. Oh- and the sound at LZR DOES suck.

    By Seerbeer

    February 5, 2008 10:41 PM | Link to this

    At One in the morning, it's the booze talking. The old ego-protective
    mechanisms work overtime. Social inhibitions are down. In the morning,
    that's when the self-disgust kicks in and requires an amends. If it
    happens regularly, the answer can be found within the walls of AA
    meetings. If it's only an occasional blunder, it only deserves
    forgetting by all concerned. Blessings All

    By lulu

    February 5, 2008 11:22 PM | Link to this

    lance licking is gross. he's bad a*s in his field: cycling. parenting,
    public behavior, social responsiblility, drug awareness.....who knows?
    he clearly struts expecting a free pass because "we" gave him the
    lance love. that he thinks he can be a politician is/was insane until
    we elected "W". now give him a break. yes, the door man is tabc
    "golden". la zona should give him a raise. they'd be sued big-time if
    lance crashed his cycling frame. but door guy probably was an a*s, and
    so was lance. let's call it a draw of entitlement. wake up call to all
    narcissists!

    By Mister Me

    February 6, 2008 5:14 PM | Link to this

    Wow! There's a lot of Lance haters out there. I came to this site to
    check out a Band of Horses show review and ended up wading through a
    lot of stupid [censored]. Do we really care if Lance Armstrong tried to walk
    out of a club with a drink? I mean that stupid "event" got more
    attention then the real show. Band of Horses rocked! Oh, and Flasky,
    if you think that by making four trips to Austin and reading a blog
    you can generalize Austin as being "petty and ignorant" then you, my
    friend, are an idiot. Please don't come back!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.