Spending On Used Bike

henchman21

May 6, 2015
Canada
I was recently given a Blue 1989 free spririt grand prix bike , it was kept in a garage and is in very good condition execpt for 2 flat tires and the gear shift lever on the right side is stuck. Anyway my Question is, Is it worth putting the time and money in to repairing a old bike like this ?

It really all depends - Often the cost of the repairs, even replacing such a simple component as the gear lever can quickly far exceed the (retail) value of the bike. That does not mean that it's not worth doing. You may spend $150 on tires, tubes cabling and a tune up, which is more than the bike is worth, but then you'd have a useable bike. A usable bike for $100 to $200 isn't that bad. I've also seen the cost of these "freebie" refurbish jobs quickly exceed the value of that caliber bike period. We've had junk mountain bikes roll into the shop and people walk away spending $300 to get it fixed, and be left with a junk mountain bike. It may function to the best of it's ability but it still not up to the purpose they are intending it. They'd be better off spending just a little more and get into a very bottom basement mountain bike brand new.

Flat tires and a gear shift are not a major problem. You need to first change the tires and put new ones. Without a good gear shift your riding will never be smooth.

Well since it used why not look around the neighborhood for spare parts. I would look on ebay ann craiglist for cheap parts and work it from there. Repairs should cost retail prices. Since you got cheap, but cheap as well. For the stuck gears, just get some WD40 and oil it up. Done.

If you don't want to drop any money on it, then look around for used (free) tires, or look online for cheap used ones. Motor oil wont break the bank, so just give it a give oil down.

A 1989 Free Spirit bike very likely has 27" rims, which limits your tire choices. You can still find them, but aren't nearly as many choices are there are for 700c tires. And 700c tires won't fit on 27" rims.

I would check craigslist for free or low cost parts before deciding. Tires and a gear shift aren't very difficult to change. It just a matter of whether it's worth the time and effort to you.

Whether it is worth it really depends on what you intend to do with this bike. I'd check for cracks in the frame and make sure that all the components are working properly. The flat tires shouldn't be too expensive to repair.

Those were trash bikes from Sears, I wouldn't spend a dime on it. You could end up spending $28 times two for tires and tubes, another $40 to $200 for parts and labor depending on what it needs to get it mechanically working right and that's assuming they can even get the parts! You would be better off trying to find a used bike for $250 or less from a major bike brand and not some off brand.

It's only worth it as a learning opportunity.
Don't spend more than $50 bucks on it. Do all the work yourself. Use it as a tool to teach you how to work on bikes. Then when you get your next ride you will save all the shop fee's since you know what you are doing and have had some practice.