Spent my morning in the ER

Gooserider

Guest
Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
2 lane. It's not usually a problem.

Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
ER.

I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
this case was an excellent idea.

I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
for a few days.

Mike

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 15:17:08 -0400, Gooserider wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I

I het those damned mirrors, almost got hit with one a few years ago. I
managed to some how duck as the mirror went over my head.

> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
> fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
> me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.

I don't how to judge the value of the trooper's statement since I have
no idea if the person is a good judge of cycling conditions or not.
This close call was caused by bad driving. It could have happened
anywhere. Your description fits many of the roads I ride on.

I'm glad that it's not worse though I think you're in for a sore
week. I hope you recover soon.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

On Apr 5, 9:17 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
> fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
> me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.
>
> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.
>
> Mike

Glad to hear you made it without too much injury. Those tail-gating
last-minute swervers are my biggest fear.

Again, glad you're ok. We'd have missed you!

Joseph

Gooserider wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
> fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
> me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.
>
> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.
>
> Mike

You just made my case for NOT taking the lane. You were lucky not to be
road kill.
Thanks.
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:

> Gooserider wrote:
>
>> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06.
>> Most of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section
>> which is 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>>
>> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was
>> following the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she
>> swerved to get around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he
>> didn't see what she was swerving for and he hit me in the head with
>> his towing mirror. All I remember is doing a flip and then laying on
>> the ground. Luckily my brother's fiancee was on her way to work and
>> saw me. The driver stopped and sat with me until EMS showed up, as did
>> an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway patrol included. The driver
>> got a ticket for "improper pass", and the trooper said I was crazy for
>> riding on that road when he visited me in the ER.
>>
>> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan
>> and xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no
>> concussion, not even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and
>> looks like hamburger, as does my left calf, the back of my head, and
>> my left buttock. My left buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I
>> was wearing my helmet, which in this case was an excellent idea.
>>
>> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for
>> me. She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are
>> torn and ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be
>> on the bike for a few days.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> You just made my case for NOT taking the lane. You were lucky not to be
> road kill.
> Thanks.
> Bill Baka

Here's a plausible scenario. Had he actually been "taking the lane"
rather that just 18 inches, which is not enough, she would have had to
slow. The tailgater would also have had to slow, and the collision would
not have occurred.

Wayne

On 2007-04-05, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:

Before I say anything else: glad you're OK.

> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was

I'd sat that in this case, 18 inches is not enough. Take a full 3 feet next
time, and make the first car behind you slow down, or move completely into
the other lane.

> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.

Does your state vehicle code have a provision that requires motorists to
exercise "due care" to avoid striking cyclists and pedestrians? If so, he
should be cited for failure to do that as well as the unsafe pass.

We won't discuss my opinion of the trooper's opinion :)

> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.

Where'd the mirror hit you, right at 6 o'clock? Unless your helmet is well-
endowed with foam there as opposed to plastic shell, it probably didn't absorb
as much force as you'd think. I'm not saying it didn't help, just not sure how
much it /could/ help for this sort of hit.

> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.

But you'll be back on the bike. That's what counts. Heal quick, ride hard.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:02:54 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:

> Where'd the mirror hit you, right at 6 o'clock? Unless your helmet is well-
> endowed with foam there as opposed to plastic shell, it probably didn't absorb
> as much force as you'd think. I'm not saying it didn't help, just not sure how
> much it /could/ help for this sort of hit.

The damage sounds to me as though it resulted from collision with the
ground. The o.p. says he does not remember what happened, but that the
damage looks like "hamburger"; a typical description of lacerations. No
doubt the clip with the mirror caused the dismount, but it sounds as though
that impact was not enough to cause any head injury.

Neil Cherry wrote:

> I don't how to judge the value of the trooper's statement since I have
> no idea if the person is a good judge of cycling conditions or not.
> This close call was caused by bad driving.

A "close call" is when you don't get hit. But the trooper was out of
line if that road is legal for bikes. If it's legal, everyone has the
responsibility to accommodate everybody else. If drivers are so
aggressive on that road that it is unsafe to ride on, then the police
need to deal with the aggressive driving.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw

Wayne Pein wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Gooserider wrote:
>>
>>> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06.
>>> Most of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section
>>> which is 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>>>
>>> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was
>>> following the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she
>>> swerved to get around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he
>>> didn't see what she was swerving for and he hit me in the head with
>>> his towing mirror. All I remember is doing a flip and then laying on
>>> the ground. Luckily my brother's fiancee was on her way to work and
>>> saw me. The driver stopped and sat with me until EMS showed up, as
>>> did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway patrol included. The
>>> driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the trooper said I was
>>> crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the ER.
>>>
>>> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT
>>> scan and xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no
>>> concussion, not even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and
>>> looks like hamburger, as does my left calf, the back of my head, and
>>> my left buttock. My left buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I
>>> was wearing my helmet, which in this case was an excellent idea.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for
>>> me. She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are
>>> torn and ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll
>>> be on the bike for a few days.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> You just made my case for NOT taking the lane. You were lucky not to
>> be road kill.
>> Thanks.
>> Bill Baka

> Here's a plausible scenario. Had he actually been "taking the lane"
> rather that just 18 inches, which is not enough, she would have had to
> slow. The tailgater would also have had to slow, and the collision would
> not have occurred.
>
> Wayne

You're talking best case scenario for taking the lane. The lead car
might have just gone around and the trailer gone OVER him. That is why I
ride "Wrong way" on one particular road. 5 semi's in a row at 60 MPH is
not the place to take the lane. I think this accident is just a case of
'unusual' traffic in which the rider lost. At least he didn't get
dismounted under the wheels.
Bill Baka

_ wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:02:54 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
>

>>Where'd the mirror hit you, right at 6 o'clock? Unless your helmet is well-
>>endowed with foam there as opposed to plastic shell, it probably didn't absorb
>>as much force as you'd think. I'm not saying it didn't help, just not sure how
>>much it /could/ help for this sort of hit.
>>

> The damage sounds to me as though it resulted from collision with the
> ground. The o.p. says he does not remember what happened, but that the
> damage looks like "hamburger"; a typical description of lacerations. No
> doubt the clip with the mirror caused the dismount, but it sounds as though
> that impact was not enough to cause any head injury.

No need to try and turn this into a helmet thread.

Gooserider wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06.
> Most of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section
> which is 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was
> following the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she
> swerved to get around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he
> didn't see what she was swerving for and he hit me in the head with
> his towing mirror. All I remember is doing a flip and then laying on
> the ground. Luckily my brother's fiancee was on her way to work and
> saw me. The driver stopped and sat with me until EMS showed up, as
> did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway patrol included. The
> driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the trooper said I was
> crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the ER.
>
> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT
> scan and xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no
> concussion, not even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and
> looks like hamburger, as does my left calf, the back of my head, and
> my left buttock. My left buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I
> was wearing my helmet, which in this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for
> me. She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are
> torn and ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll
> be on the bike for a few days.

You /should/ get a brand-new one!

Sorry to hear about the incident; glad it wasn't worse.

I agree with others who said 18" isn't enough to truly take the lane; double
it and force 'em to slow down and pass safely. As for the helmet
(non)-issue, it's not the impact from the mirror so much as hitting your
head when knocked down so quickly and unexpectedly. Might have saved you
from a concussion and/or some stitches.

Bill "that last part for the re-plonked Mr. _" S.

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
>> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06.
>> Most of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section
>> which is 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>>
>> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was
>> following the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she
>> swerved to get around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he
>> didn't see what she was swerving for and he hit me in the head with
>> his towing mirror. All I remember is doing a flip and then laying on
>> the ground. Luckily my brother's fiancee was on her way to work and
>> saw me. The driver stopped and sat with me until EMS showed up, as
>> did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway patrol included. The
>> driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the trooper said I was
>> crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the ER.
>>
>> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT
>> scan and xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no
>> concussion, not even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and
>> looks like hamburger, as does my left calf, the back of my head, and
>> my left buttock. My left buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I
>> was wearing my helmet, which in this case was an excellent idea.
>>
>> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for
>> me. She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are
>> torn and ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll
>> be on the bike for a few days.

> You /should/ get a brand-new one!
>
> Sorry to hear about the incident; glad it wasn't worse.
>
> I agree with others who said 18" isn't enough to truly take the lane; double
> it and force 'em to slow down and pass safely. As for the helmet
> (non)-issue, it's not the impact from the mirror so much as hitting your
> head when knocked down so quickly and unexpectedly. Might have saved you
> from a concussion and/or some stitches.
>
> Bill "that last part for the re-plonked Mr. _" S.

Some of you are so hard headed that it seems you are suicidal. What good
would a helmet be if the impact broke his neck or the big rig ran over
his chest?????
The army did a study on the ultimate helmet and found that if you made a
helmet really super bullet-proof that a big round would just take the
guys head off his shoulders.
"Look, no head injury, ummm, where is his head??"
You take the lane and I'll wrong way ride.
This sounds a bit strange that a guy in a truck couldn't see over a mere
car in front of him.
Two bad drivers in a row?
Plonk me if you want, but wrong way riding is survival riding in some areas.
It's coming up on 15 years since a girl ran down and killed 4 riders in
the bay area, and they were all legal but oblivious to what was coming.
Wrong way in big truck highway mode allows me to ditch if needed and I
can see the problem approach in full detail, not just a mirror.
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:
> Plonk me if you want, but wrong way riding is survival riding in some
> areas. It's coming up on 15 years since a girl ran down and killed 4
> riders in the bay area, and they were all legal but oblivious to what was
> coming. Wrong way in big truck highway mode allows me to ditch if
> needed and I can see the problem approach in full detail, not just a
> mirror.

1. Happy that the O.P. is basically OK. Bikes can be replaced; skin grows
back.
2. In this instance, I don't think there'd be enough time for a wrong-way
rider to react and ditch. I think there's a better case to be made that the
mirror would hit him in the face. As usual when talking about an accident
where we weren't present, one can't speak with any certainty.

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:17:08 -0400, Gooserider wrote:
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror.

I'm glad you survived that in as good a shape as you did.

I've often observed that one car will pass me with plenty of room, but the
one .125 seconds behind the first will buzz me. Maybe the strategy is to
take the lane until the first car passes then duck to the right to get out
of the way of the second.

?

On Apr 5, 3:17 pm, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most of
> it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is 45mph
> 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my brother's
> fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped and sat with
> me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five cops, highway
> patrol included.

Good for him.

>The driver got a ticket for "improper pass",

probably warranted albeit he was driving mainly okay.
>and the
> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in the
> ER.

Which probably demonstrates the level of idiocy of some of your
troopers. :) Check his commuter bike hours before you believe
anything he says. :)

> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.
>
> Mike

OUCH that does not sound nice but hopefully it is just some buggered-
up brakes etc. Still it sounds like the driver's insurance should
pay.

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today I was doing my normal commute, which I've done since 11/1/06. Most
> of it is lightly travelled road, but there's a 3/4 mile section which is
> 45mph 2 lane. It's not usually a problem.
>
> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was following
> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she was
> swerving for and he hit me in the head with his towing mirror. All I
> remember is doing a flip and then laying on the ground. Luckily my
> brother's fiancee was on her way to work and saw me. The driver stopped
> and sat with me until EMS showed up, as did an off-duty nurse and five
> cops, highway patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper
> pass", and the trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he
> visited me in the ER.
>
> I spent three hours strapped to a backboard while they took a CAT scan and
> xrays of everything on my left side. Nothing's broken, no concussion, not
> even a suture. HOWEVER, my left elbow is scraped and looks like hamburger,
> as does my left calf, the back of my head, and my left buttock. My left
> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which in
> this case was an excellent idea.
>
> I have no idea what's up with the bike. A co-worker picked it up for me.
> She's told me it does not roll, and my cheapo Topeak panniers are torn and
> ripped. Could have been much worse, but I dont' think I'll be on the bike
> for a few days.

I join the chorus of relief that you weren't more badly injured, and also
wish you a speedy recovery and an insurance company payment that buys you a
new bike with all the trimmings.

I have a section like that on my commute, about a mile, and agree with those
who find that preventing close passing is the only way to handle it. Mine is
made worse by the fact that much of it has a very narrow shoulder and
nothing but a metal barrier along the edge much of the way; nowhere to bail.
Baka would be long dead if he were riding this road facing traffic.

Riding this route during rush hour is not a big deal; there are a couple of
driveways along the way, and I duck into them and allow accumulated traffic
to pass. It's still a lot faster than any alternative route. One strategy
that seems to have reduced driver ire is to do the whole thing standing up,
so that I'm *obviously* going as fast as I can.

Amazingly, this road is posted with "share the road" signs, which in the
Philadelphia area usually means it's been designated a bike route.

On Apr 5, 6:23 pm, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wayne Pein wrote:
> > Bill wrote:

> >> You just made my case for NOT taking the lane. You were lucky not to
> >> be road kill.
> >> Thanks.
> >> Bill Baka

> > Here's a plausible scenario. Had he actually been "taking the lane"
> > rather that just 18 inches, which is not enough, she would have had to
> > slow. The tailgater would also have had to slow, and the collision would
> > not have occurred.

> > Wayne

> You're talking best case scenario for taking the lane. The lead car
> might have just gone around and the trailer gone OVER him. That is why I
> ride "Wrong way" on one particular road. 5 semi's in a row at 60 MPH is
> not the place to take the lane. I think this accident is just a case of
> 'unusual' traffic in which the rider lost. At least he didn't get
> dismounted under the wheels.
> Bill Baka

Always possible but my own experience suggests that taking the lane
tends to protect the rider. If the first motor vehicle moves left ( NA
roads) then the following motor vehicles see a movement and plan to
conform.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

"Kristian M Zoerhoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-04-05, Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Before I say anything else: glad you're OK.
>
>> Today was different. Some guy in a truck with towing mirrors was
>> following
>> the car in front of him too closely(he said) and when she swerved to get
>> around me( I take the lane, at least 18 inches) he didn't see what she
>> was

> I'd sat that in this case, 18 inches is not enough. Take a full 3 feet
> next
> time, and make the first car behind you slow down, or move completely into
> the other lane.
>
>> patrol included. The driver got a ticket for "improper pass", and the
>> trooper said I was crazy for riding on that road when he visited me in
>> the
>> ER.

> Does your state vehicle code have a provision that requires motorists to
> exercise "due care" to avoid striking cyclists and pedestrians? If so, he
> should be cited for failure to do that as well as the unsafe pass.
>
> We won't discuss my opinion of the trooper's opinion :)
>
>> buttock is deeply bruised and is purple. I was wearing my helmet, which
>> in
>> this case was an excellent idea.

> Where'd the mirror hit you, right at 6 o'clock? Unless your helmet is
> well-
> endowed with foam there as opposed to plastic shell, it probably didn't
> absorb
> as much force as you'd think. I'm not saying it didn't help, just not sure
> how
> much it /could/ help for this sort of hit.

Kristian----

Judging by the crack in my helmet, I assume the mirror hit me at
about the 7 o'clock position. Just to the left of midline. Helmet is toast,
but it did its job. Now I have to price a new Bell Metro.

Mike
pricing it for the driver's insurance company.

"_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 22:02:54 GMT, Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
>

>> Where'd the mirror hit you, right at 6 o'clock? Unless your helmet is
>> well-
>> endowed with foam there as opposed to plastic shell, it probably didn't
>> absorb
>> as much force as you'd think. I'm not saying it didn't help, just not
>> sure how
>> much it /could/ help for this sort of hit.
>>

> The damage sounds to me as though it resulted from collision with the
> ground. The o.p. says he does not remember what happened, but that the
> damage looks like "hamburger"; a typical description of lacerations. No
> doubt the clip with the mirror caused the dismount, but it sounds as
> though
> that impact was not enough to cause any head injury.

I think he hit me at the 7 o'clock position. Nice big crack in the helmet.

Mike Kruger wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> Plonk me if you want, but wrong way riding is survival riding in some
>> areas. It's coming up on 15 years since a girl ran down and killed 4
>> riders in the bay area, and they were all legal but oblivious to what was
>> coming. Wrong way in big truck highway mode allows me to ditch if
>> needed and I can see the problem approach in full detail, not just a
>> mirror.

> 1. Happy that the O.P. is basically OK. Bikes can be replaced; skin grows
> back.
> 2. In this instance, I don't think there'd be enough time for a wrong-way
> rider to react and ditch. I think there's a better case to be made that the
> mirror would hit him in the face. As usual when talking about an accident
> where we weren't present, one can't speak with any certainty.

I'm glad the O.P. is OK, as I am not wishing anyone harm.
I have had to ditch or dismount and stand back in the weeds a few times.
Once it was a farmer dragging a 2 lane wide harvesting machine and he
just yelled "Thanks" for me moving over.
Twice, at least I have had to get off for a convoy of bottom dump, 2
trailer, semi trains, so I may be wrong but I am still here.
It's mostly a matter of judgment, like do I want to be right and maybe
dead, or ride wrong and have time to get off the road and stay alive.
To me it's simple survival tactics for 55-65 MPH roads with only about 3
inches of pavement for a 'bike' lane.
Bill Baka