Spice This Chicken and Rice Dish?

aem

Guest
I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
chili powder.

I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
-aem

On 8 Dec 2005 11:09:08 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
>and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
>broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
>and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
>pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
>spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
>chili powder.
>
>I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
>jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
>some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
>for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
>roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?

I'll bet tomatoes would be good in this dish! I can't help with the
hot seasonings. Marshmallows are too hot for me. <G>

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

aem wrote:
> I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
> and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
> broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
> and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
> pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
> spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
> chili powder.
>
> I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
> jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
> some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
> for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
> roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
> -aem

Tomatoes would be good. Many such recipes call for thyme and cayenne
pepper. A bit of garlic is also good. Tabasco is also frequently called
for, as are bay leaves.

Dean G.

Dean replied to aem:

>> I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs and
>> andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken broth
>> and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver and brown
>> them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell pepper,
>> stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or spices do
>> I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or chili
>> powder.
>>
>> I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
>> jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and some
>> generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out for
>> something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh roma
>> tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?

> Tomatoes would be good. Many such recipes call for thyme and cayenne
> pepper. A bit of garlic is also good. Tabasco is also frequently called
> for, as are bay leaves.

I think this is just about spot-on, but I'd DEFINITELY call for the bay
leaves and cayenne, and note that the tomatoes ought to be peeled and
chopped before putting them into the jambalaya. I agree with the thyme
recommendation, though I don't think it's mandatory, and a touch of sage
wouldn't be amiss, either. To gild the lily, if you've got some frozen
shrimp, throw in a few towards the end of cooking.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Dean replied to aem:
>
> > Tomatoes would be good. Many such recipes call for thyme and cayenne
> > pepper. A bit of garlic is also good. Tabasco is also frequently called
> > for, as are bay leaves.

> I think this is just about spot-on, but I'd DEFINITELY call for the bay
> leaves and cayenne, and note that the tomatoes ought to be peeled and
> chopped before putting them into the jambalaya. I agree with the thyme
> recommendation, though I don't think it's mandatory, and a touch of sage
> wouldn't be amiss, either. To gild the lily, if you've got some frozen
> shrimp, throw in a few towards the end of cooking.

Thanks. I've got a huge thyme plant; I'll put a large sprig in and
then remove it at the end. And I'm going to go with bay leaf and
cayenne pepper. Still thinking about the tomatoes. I'm not accustomed
to using them in this kind of dish. Instead, I may go pick a head of
red leaf lettuce and use the tomatoes in a salad. -aem

[email protected] wrote:
> You forgot the roux. Nobody makes any kinda Cajun dish without
> starting with roux.
>
> Use the cayenne and plenty of it.

What in the world do I need with a roux? It's a rice dish. -aem

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2005 11:09:08 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
> >and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
> >broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
> >and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
> >pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
> >spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
> >chili powder.
> >
> >I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
> >jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
> >some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
> >for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
> >roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?

> I'll bet tomatoes would be good in this dish! I can't help with the
> hot seasonings. Marshmallows are too hot for me. <G>
>
> Carol
> --
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

hehehe, I'm with you, Carol. When I make chicken and rice, I go with a
little sage and curry. Hot peppers are not my thing.

Elaine, too

aem wrote:
> I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
> and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
> broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
> and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
> pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
> spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
> chili powder.
>
> I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
> jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
> some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
> for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
> roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
> -aem

I'd chop up the chilies in adobo and stir them in, along with a few
chopped fresh tomatoes.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"aem" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
> and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
> broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
> and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
> pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
> spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
> chili powder.
>
> I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
> jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
> some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
> for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
> roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
> -aem

This recipe is screaming for the tomatoes. I'd use the tomatoes and
jalapenos and a bit of the small dried red chiles. The canned chiles I
would definitely add as well.

Michael <- thinks black olives would be good too

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "aem" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>>I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
>>and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
>>broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
>>and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
>>pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
>>spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
>>chili powder.
>>
>>I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
>>jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
>>some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
>>for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
>>roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
>>-aem
>>

> This recipe is screaming for the tomatoes. I'd use the tomatoes and
> jalapenos and a bit of the small dried red chiles. The canned chiles I
> would definitely add as well.
>
> Michael <- thinks black olives would be good too

black olives are good in nearly anything :)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

aem wrote:
> I need some suggestions for spicing this up. I've got chicken thighs
> and andouille sausage, celery, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chicken
> broth and rice. I'm going to cut the thighs in half with the cleaver
> and brown them, slice the sausage, sweat the chopped 'trinity' and bell
> pepper, stir the rice in the oil, etc. Now what kind of hot peppers or
> spices do I add to give it a little bite? I don't want to use cumin or
> chili powder.
>
> I've got black pepper, cayenne pepper, red chile flakes, a couple of
> jalapeños, some canned chiles (probably pasillas) in adobo sauce and
> some generic small dried red chiles, but I'm not averse to going out
> for something different. Now that I think of it I have some fresh
> roma tomatoes, too. Do people put tomatoes into this kind of dish?
> -aem

People do put tomatoes in that sort of dish, but I wouldn't say they
were necessary. I have an "Italian Seasoning" blend in my cupboard that
I use all the time and would use here: marjoram, thyme, rosemary,
savory, sage, oregano, and basil. (Did I get that last comma right?
Without the other thread, I would have left it out.)

--Lia

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks. I've got a huge thyme plant; I'll put a large sprig in and
> then remove it at the end. And I'm going to go with bay leaf and
> cayenne pepper. Still thinking about the tomatoes. I'm not accustomed
> to using them in this kind of dish. Instead, I may go pick a head of
> red leaf lettuce and use the tomatoes in a salad. -aem

This is the path I was going to suggest. I'm going to rummage around in the
freezer and see what kind of sausage we've got...this is sounding *really*
good!!

Chris