Spices in the spice rack

J

Jake

I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
spices for a spice rack?

TIA

--
JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

In article <[email protected]>, JaKe
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
> spices for a spice rack?
>
> TIA

May I make a recommendation? Go to Penzey's (either online, get a catalogue, or, if you're close, go
there) and order/get the "Spice replacement" package - which has everything and then some.

It is less expensive that way - and is very attractively packaged.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

JaKe the FlAke <[email protected]> writes:
>
>I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.

Many spices can be expensive... you need to indicate how much you want to spend.

>What are the standard spices for a spice rack?

Again, spices can be expensive... it would be stupid to spend money on those that will not be
used... what dishes does this person like to cook/bake, especially which ethnic dishes?

Forget the rack... they're indicative of those who'd like folks to think they can cook, but can't
cook a lick. Spices belong out of sight, in a cool and dark place, in a closed cupboard (not above
the stove), or in a drawer. Rather than waste good money on a stupid spice rack put it towards a few
of those plastic cupboard turn tables... Rubbermaid makes a nice one.... and a few dozen spice
bottles/cans, go to <leevalley.com> for those. The only rack I appreciate is on a woman.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

In rec.food.cooking, JaKe <[email protected]> wrote:
> I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard

Check out www.penzeys.com for a good starter set.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

"JaKe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

Oregano, basil, curry, cardamom, chile powder, allspice, mustard seeds, garam masala, pepper
berries, red pepper flakes. Just a suggestion -

Mia

Naturally it depends on what the someone likes to cook. I'd suggest:

an Italian herb mix (basil, oregano, tarragon, etc.) a pumpkin pie spice mix (cinnamon, cloves,
nutmeg, etc.) a curry powder (cumin, tumeric, fenugreek, etc.) dill garlic powder pepper

--Lia

JaKe wrote:
>
> TIA

"JaKe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> TIA
>
> --
> JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

Depends on what your friend wants. Spices can be expensive. There is no real list of "Basic Spices".
A suggestion for a cook rather than a 'baker': Oregano, Basil, Dill, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary.

Best bet: www.penzeys.com How about a gift certificate?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:55:19 GMT, JaKe

>
A "spice rack" contains herbs too.... what does your friend like to cook? That would help
you decide!

My absolute favorite "spice" is Thyme (really an herb). I also keep oregano, basil & granulated
garlic along with a plethora of herbs I don't use very often. Fresh Rosemary grows outside.

As for spices, think of the season... cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg - get the picture?

Buying them won't be a problem if you know what your friend likes to cook.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments

JaKe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

The cheapest way to do this would be to buy the spices in bulk (and freshest). Then find some small
jars you would like as spice jars to fill them up. You could get creative by printing your own
personalized labels, or you can buy preprinted spice labels. I find the standard "spice" jars that
you can buy to be too narrow, although the shaker lids you can get with them are handy. I just get a
slightly smaller and fatter clear jar with a lid.

What kind of spices (and herbs) you get depends on what they like to cook. You can also get
different spices whole or ground, and the whole keep a lot longer. So for a gift if you want to get
fancy you could get the person a set of filled spice jars, plus a coffee grinder which works great
for grinding spices. (but you probably want to use a separate one than for the coffee unless you
like spicey coffee :) )

Basics - basil, oregano, chili powder, bay leaves, cayenne pepper Indian food - cumin (though I
would put cumin in basics), coriander, turmeric, cardamom pods, black mustard seed, garam masala (a
mix, you can also make your own), fenugreek Baking - ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cloves,
ground ginger, aniseed, ground cardamom If they like chilies, different varieties of chili powder is
nice. Chinese - five spice Caribbean - allspice, juniper berries, annato seed (these are really
pretty in a jar as they are a nice red color) Other ideas - garlic powder, onion powder, parsley
(though its usually better fresh), sage, rosemary, thyme, dillweed Tea - whole cloves, star anise
More unusual - caraway seeds, lemon pepper, saffron (you don't want a jar for this! a few threads
will be a few bucks so usually they come in a teeny plastic box), mango powder

I'm sure I'm forgetting something basic but you get the idea. If I had to pick just 8 I would get:
basil, oregano, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, cloves, cardamom (hang out in the C's if the bulk store is
alphabetical!), turmeric

As a spice geek I think that for someone just starting out a dreamy spice gift would be a good
cookbook with lots of spicy recipes (I love Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking), some filled jars
with spices along a particular theme (to go with the cookbook), and some empty jars to get
adventurous with.

PENMART01 wrote:

>
> Again, spices can be expensive... it would be stupid to spend money on those that will not be
> used... what dishes does this person like to cook/bake, especially which ethnic dishes?

Nothing fancy I guess, looking to purchase as a gift.

It's a novice cook -- just a college aged adult.

--

On 11 Dec 2003 17:03:29 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

>JaKe the FlAke <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.
>
>Many spices can be expensive... you need to indicate how much you want to spend.

There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.

Spices aren't expensive unless you but that damned pre-bottled McCormick/Shilling ****.

-sw

Mia wrote:

>
> Oregano, basil, curry, cardamom, chile powder, allspice, mustard seeds, garam masala, pepper
> berries, red pepper flakes. Just a suggestion -
>
> Mia

Ahhh, this is the kind of answer I was hoping for . . . Thanks!

--

Nancy Howells <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, JaKe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
> > spices for a spice rack?
> >
> > TIA
>
> May I make a recommendation? Go to Penzey's (either online, get a catalogue, or, if you're close,
> go there) and order/get the "Spice replacement" package - which has everything and then some.
>
> It is less expensive that way - and is very attractively packaged.

It seems to be high on spice blends and low on spice basics - this is the description of what it has
in it: Old World Seasoning, Brady Street, Galena St. Rib Rub, Fox Point Seasoning, Zassenhaus #1
peppermill, Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, Four Peppercorn Blend, Granulated Garlic, Medium Hot
Chili Powder, Italian Herb Mix, Cake Spice, Sweet Curry Powder, Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Cayenne
Pepper, China Cassia Cinnamon, Sunny Spain Seasoning and Taco Seasoning

It is also 89.95 for 16 spices. Yes the jars will probably be a decent size but more of certain
spices than a normal person would ever use before they are no longer so fresh.

Buy your own jars 16 @ 0.50 each - $8. For most spices 50 cents worth of the spice in bulk will fill
the jar, and for more expensive spices (like green cardamom pods) you probably wouldn't want a whole
jar anyway (not that this kit includes cardamom though) So there's another $8. For $16 you are fully
stocked and you can add your own personal touches to the packaging. (if you can limit yourself to 16
spices that is!)

I like my herbs fresh, so grow them outside in pots. Don't use a lot of dried herbs/spices ... but
of those I have ... my faves would have to be: cumin, tumeric, and a lime&chili blend I pay too much
for, and use too liberally ;)

"Tanya Quinn" <> wrote ...

<snip >

> Other ideas - garlic powder, onion powder, parsley (though its usually better fresh)

*alway* Tanya, *always* ;))

Steve Wertz wrote:

> There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
> 3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.

Okay, don't they get dusty and musty? Or do you dig down.

nancy (just picturing what that must be like)

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:11:34 -0500, Nancy Young

>Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
>> 3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.
>
>Okay, don't they get dusty and musty? Or do you dig down.

The spices? No. They're all in 2qt sealed jars and the turnover on most items is fantastic. And
before they go into the jars they're hermetically(sp?) sealed in large foil packets from the
distributor.

IOW: They're not in barrels and cheap plastic bins, which is what most people think of when they
hear "bulk". You just take as little or as much as you need. Most of the baggies I buy are $.25-
$.60, and easily fill up a regular size spice jar (and then some).

-sw

"robert" <[email protected]> writes:

>A suggestion for a cook rather than a 'baker': Oregano, Basil, Dill, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary.

Aside from the fact that none of those are spices (they're herbs) all of those are applicable to
baking... aintcha ever heard of dill dough?

Sun-Dried Tomato and Rosemary Bread From The Bread Machine Gourmet

For a large loaf: 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups bread flour 2 tablespoons minced fresh
basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 11/2 teaspoons dried
rosemary 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt 2 cloves garlic, crushed 3 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and
minced 1 1/4 cups water 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 teaspoons honey 4 teaspoons active dry yeast Fit
the kneading blade firmly on the shaft in the bread pan. Carefully measure the dry ingredients and
transfer to the pan. Add the liquid ingredients and the yeast. Place the bread pan inside the
machine and close the lid.

Program the breadmaker for the whole wheat mode. The unit will begin operation.

At the end of the baking cycle, remove the bread promptly from the machine, taking care, as the oven
surfaces will be very hot.

Invert the bread pan onto a wire rack and shake several times to dislodge the bread. Allow to cool
completely on rack before slicing or wrapping for storage. Makes 16 servings.
---

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

PENMART01 wrote:
>
> aintcha ever heard of dill dough?

Yeah, but I've never seen spelled that way :)

--

JaKe wrote:
>
>
> TIA

Please narrow down the field by telling us what kind of cooking you want to do. blacksalt