Spices in the spice rack

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jake, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Jake

    Jake Guest

    I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    spices for a spice rack?

    TIA

    --
    JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, JaKe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?
    >
    > TIA

    May I make a recommendation? Go to Penzey's (either online, get a catalogue, or, if you're close, go
    there) and order/get the "Spice replacement" package - which has everything and then some.

    It is less expensive that way - and is very attractively packaged.

    --
    Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    JaKe the FlAke <[email protected]> writes:

    >I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.

    Many spices can be expensive... you need to indicate how much you want to spend.

    >What are the standard spices for a spice rack?

    Again, spices can be expensive... it would be stupid to spend money on those that will not be
    used... what dishes does this person like to cook/bake, especially which ethnic dishes?

    Forget the rack... they're indicative of those who'd like folks to think they can cook, but can't
    cook a lick. Spices belong out of sight, in a cool and dark place, in a closed cupboard (not above
    the stove), or in a drawer. Rather than waste good money on a stupid spice rack put it towards a few
    of those plastic cupboard turn tables... Rubbermaid makes a nice one.... and a few dozen spice
    bottles/cans, go to <leevalley.com> for those. The only rack I appreciate is on a woman.

  4. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    Check out www.penzeys.com for a good starter set.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  5. Mia

    Mia Guest

    "JaKe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

    Oregano, basil, curry, cardamom, chile powder, allspice, mustard seeds, garam masala, pepper
    berries, red pepper flakes. Just a suggestion -

    Mia

  6. Naturally it depends on what the someone likes to cook. I'd suggest:

    an Italian herb mix (basil, oregano, tarragon, etc.) a pumpkin pie spice mix (cinnamon, cloves,
    nutmeg, etc.) a curry powder (cumin, tumeric, fenugreek, etc.) dill garlic powder pepper

    --Lia

    JaKe wrote:
    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?
    >
    > TIA

  7. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "JaKe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

    Depends on what your friend wants. Spices can be expensive. There is no real list of "Basic Spices".
    A suggestion for a cook rather than a 'baker': Oregano, Basil, Dill, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary.

    Best bet: www.penzeys.com How about a gift certificate?

  8. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:55:19 GMT, JaKe
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?

    A "spice rack" contains herbs too.... what does your friend like to cook? That would help
    you decide!

    My absolute favorite "spice" is Thyme (really an herb). I also keep oregano, basil & granulated
    garlic along with a plethora of herbs I don't use very often. Fresh Rosemary grows outside.

    As for spices, think of the season... cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg - get the picture?

    Buying them won't be a problem if you know what your friend likes to cook.

  9. Tanya Quinn

    Tanya Quinn Guest

    JaKe <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?

    The cheapest way to do this would be to buy the spices in bulk (and freshest). Then find some small
    jars you would like as spice jars to fill them up. You could get creative by printing your own
    personalized labels, or you can buy preprinted spice labels. I find the standard "spice" jars that
    you can buy to be too narrow, although the shaker lids you can get with them are handy. I just get a
    slightly smaller and fatter clear jar with a lid.

    What kind of spices (and herbs) you get depends on what they like to cook. You can also get
    different spices whole or ground, and the whole keep a lot longer. So for a gift if you want to get
    fancy you could get the person a set of filled spice jars, plus a coffee grinder which works great
    for grinding spices. (but you probably want to use a separate one than for the coffee unless you
    like spicey coffee :) )

    Basics - basil, oregano, chili powder, bay leaves, cayenne pepper Indian food - cumin (though I
    would put cumin in basics), coriander, turmeric, cardamom pods, black mustard seed, garam masala (a
    mix, you can also make your own), fenugreek Baking - ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cloves,
    ground ginger, aniseed, ground cardamom If they like chilies, different varieties of chili powder is
    nice. Chinese - five spice Caribbean - allspice, juniper berries, annato seed (these are really
    pretty in a jar as they are a nice red color) Other ideas - garlic powder, onion powder, parsley
    (though its usually better fresh), sage, rosemary, thyme, dillweed Tea - whole cloves, star anise
    More unusual - caraway seeds, lemon pepper, saffron (you don't want a jar for this! a few threads
    will be a few bucks so usually they come in a teeny plastic box), mango powder

    I'm sure I'm forgetting something basic but you get the idea. If I had to pick just 8 I would get:
    basil, oregano, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, cloves, cardamom (hang out in the C's if the bulk store is
    alphabetical!), turmeric

    As a spice geek I think that for someone just starting out a dreamy spice gift would be a good
    cookbook with lots of spicy recipes (I love Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking), some filled jars
    with spices along a particular theme (to go with the cookbook), and some empty jars to get
    adventurous with.

  10. Jake

    Jake Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > Again, spices can be expensive... it would be stupid to spend money on those that will not be
    > used... what dishes does this person like to cook/bake, especially which ethnic dishes?

    Nothing fancy I guess, looking to purchase as a gift.

    It's a novice cook -- just a college aged adult.

    --
    JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 17:03:29 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

    >JaKe the FlAke <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out.
    >
    >Many spices can be expensive... you need to indicate how much you want to spend.

    There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
    3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.

    Spices aren't expensive unless you but that damned pre-bottled McCormick/Shilling crap.

    -sw

  12. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Mia wrote:

    > Oregano, basil, curry, cardamom, chile powder, allspice, mustard seeds, garam masala, pepper
    > berries, red pepper flakes. Just a suggestion -
    >
    > Mia

    Ahhh, this is the kind of answer I was hoping for . . . Thanks!

    --
    JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

  13. Tanya Quinn

    Tanya Quinn Guest

    Nancy Howells <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, JaKe <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > > spices for a spice rack?
    > >
    > > TIA
    >
    > May I make a recommendation? Go to Penzey's (either online, get a catalogue, or, if you're close,
    > go there) and order/get the "Spice replacement" package - which has everything and then some.
    >
    > It is less expensive that way - and is very attractively packaged.

    It seems to be high on spice blends and low on spice basics - this is the description of what it has
    in it: Old World Seasoning, Brady Street, Galena St. Rib Rub, Fox Point Seasoning, Zassenhaus #1
    peppermill, Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, Four Peppercorn Blend, Granulated Garlic, Medium Hot
    Chili Powder, Italian Herb Mix, Cake Spice, Sweet Curry Powder, Hungarian Sweet Paprika, Cayenne
    Pepper, China Cassia Cinnamon, Sunny Spain Seasoning and Taco Seasoning

    It is also 89.95 for 16 spices. Yes the jars will probably be a decent size but more of certain
    spices than a normal person would ever use before they are no longer so fresh.

    Buy your own jars 16 @ 0.50 each - $8. For most spices 50 cents worth of the spice in bulk will fill
    the jar, and for more expensive spices (like green cardamom pods) you probably wouldn't want a whole
    jar anyway (not that this kit includes cardamom though) So there's another $8. For $16 you are fully
    stocked and you can add your own personal touches to the packaging. (if you can limit yourself to 16
    spices that is!)

  14. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    I like my herbs fresh, so grow them outside in pots. Don't use a lot of dried herbs/spices ... but
    of those I have ... my faves would have to be: cumin, tumeric, and a lime&chili blend I pay too much
    for, and use too liberally ;)

  15. Lea B

    Lea B Guest

    "Tanya Quinn" <> wrote ...

    <snip >

    > Other ideas - garlic powder, onion powder, parsley (though its usually better fresh)

    *alway* Tanya, *always* ;))

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
    > 3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.

    Okay, don't they get dusty and musty? Or do you dig down.

    nancy (just picturing what that must be like)

  17. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:11:34 -0500, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >
    >> There isn't a single spice (or herb, for the anal rententive like yoose) that I can't fill up a
    >> 3fl.oz. bottle for $1.25 (or less) using the bulk section of the grocery store.
    >
    >Okay, don't they get dusty and musty? Or do you dig down.

    The spices? No. They're all in 2qt sealed jars and the turnover on most items is fantastic. And
    before they go into the jars they're hermetically(sp?) sealed in large foil packets from the
    distributor.

    IOW: They're not in barrels and cheap plastic bins, which is what most people think of when they
    hear "bulk". You just take as little or as much as you need. Most of the baggies I buy are $.25-
    $.60, and easily fill up a regular size spice jar (and then some).

    -sw

  18. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    "robert" <[email protected]> writes:

    >A suggestion for a cook rather than a 'baker': Oregano, Basil, Dill, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary.

    Aside from the fact that none of those are spices (they're herbs) all of those are applicable to
    baking... aintcha ever heard of dill dough?

    Sun-Dried Tomato and Rosemary Bread From The Bread Machine Gourmet

    For a large loaf: 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour 1 1/2 cups bread flour 2 tablespoons minced fresh
    basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 11/2 teaspoons dried
    rosemary 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt 2 cloves garlic, crushed 3 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and
    minced 1 1/4 cups water 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 teaspoons honey 4 teaspoons active dry yeast Fit
    the kneading blade firmly on the shaft in the bread pan. Carefully measure the dry ingredients and
    transfer to the pan. Add the liquid ingredients and the yeast. Place the bread pan inside the
    machine and close the lid.

    Program the breadmaker for the whole wheat mode. The unit will begin operation.

    At the end of the baking cycle, remove the bread promptly from the machine, taking care, as the oven
    surfaces will be very hot.

    Invert the bread pan onto a wire rack and shake several times to dislodge the bread. Allow to cool
    completely on rack before slicing or wrapping for storage. Makes 16 servings.
    ---

  19. Jake

    Jake Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > aintcha ever heard of dill dough?

    Yeah, but I've never seen spelled that way :)

    --
    JaKe, Seattle "Smooth jazz is elevator music" Drummer Joe Chambers

  20. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    JaKe wrote:

    > I want to get spices for someone who has none - they're just starting out. What are the standard
    > spices for a spice rack?
    >
    > TIA

    Please narrow down the field by telling us what kind of cooking you want to do. blacksalt