Spices

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Patrick Joseph Mc Namara, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Tags:

  2. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Pat-Might want to start with some fresh herbs. Most grocery stores
    these days carry fresh basil, cilantro, tarragon, rosemary, etc., even
    fresh PARSLEY has flavor, compared to the tasteless dried variety. All
    are MUCH better than the dried, IMHO, and way more fun. Get ideas how
    to use them from most any cookbook (e.g., rosemary with chicken is a
    classic combination, but it's also good with fish, lamb, etc.) then
    experiment! Make some pesto with the basil & some garlic, a few pine
    nuts if you can take some carbs, some Parmesan cheese (please, fresh
    grated!). Great to enhance a vegetable soup (also great with pasta,
    but, well, you know... ;-) Or try an omelet/scrambled eggs with some
    shrimp, grated Gruyere cheese and FRESHLY grated nutmeg (I've had the
    same bag of whole nutmegs in the freezer for 20 years, probably use
    about 2 a year!) Play around & don't worry about mistakes, you'll soon
    get a feel for what tastes you like with what. Even if you don't like
    HOT, try it a little cayenne at first, good in lots of dishes. It's
    usually an acquired taste, but you may be surprised how quickly you get
    hooked. Add a little cumin for a real earthy flavor. A cardinal rule:
    you can always add MORE of something, but it's very difficult to take
    some back OUT! So TASTE as you go!

    Dan

    Patrick Joseph Mc Namara wrote:
    > Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
    > foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
    > oregano.

  3. Wysong *~

    Wysong *~ Guest

    "Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for

    hot
    > foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
    > oregano.

    =========================
    My favorite seasonings for low carb veggies is to boil them in Chicken
    Bullion with 1/2 to 1 tsp. of olive oil, salt, pepper, and Garlic (McCormick
    Garlic & Herb) and a few shakes of McCormick Vegetable Supreme. A few
    pinches of Kraft's Parm Plus also adds flavor.
    --
    Wysong
    Age 60. Height 5'6"

  4. tia

    tia Guest

    the best thing to do is watch food network for awhile. all they use is
    fresh herbs in their stuff! but if you want to really add some depth
    of flavor, it all depends what recipes you have and what youre cooking.
    for steak recipes, i love lemon pepper, garlic, **KOSHER** salt (the
    flavor is just MMM). for pork recipes-- you have *GOT* to try
    rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and pepper. for chicken - you can do
    almost anything... cilantro, marjoram (similar to oregano), basil for
    tomato type dishes, chives, mint... the list goes on and on. try some
    of your favorite recipes at foodtv.com. while they probably add a
    bunch of high carb nonos, they also list which herbs go with the dish
    too. if you want, id love to swap recipes. you will find when you add
    fresh herbs to your dishes (the ground stuff loses flavor VERY fast),
    the taste and quality goes from mcdonalds lame to Delmonico's WOW.
    hope that helps.

    -tia

  5. warehouse

    warehouse Guest

    tia wrote:
    > for pork recipes-- you have *GOT* to try
    > rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and pepper.
    > -tia

    Never, never use kosher salt on pork.

    Always use traif salt on pork only!

  6. tia

    tia Guest

    > Never, never use kosher salt on pork.
    >
    > Always use traif salt on pork only!

    cant say ive ever heard of traif salt?? im intrigued! tell me more!

    -t

  7. warehouse

    warehouse Guest

    tia wrote:

    > > Never, never use kosher salt on pork.
    > >
    > > Always use traif salt on pork only!

    > cant say ive ever heard of traif salt?? im intrigued! tell me more!
    >
    > -t

    You learned how to quote. Mazel tov!

  8. tia

    tia Guest

    ROFL... yea im using outlook express (shudder) until i can get to my other
    box at home.. the laptop has windows on it, sadly and this is the only
    newsreader i could get on here without a million hours of dialup connection
    downloading... Shalom to you too lol.. ;)

    --
    _____________________________
    This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

    "warehouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > tia wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Never, never use kosher salt on pork.
    >> >
    >> > Always use traif salt on pork only!

    >> cant say ive ever heard of traif salt?? im intrigued! tell me more!
    >>
    >> -t

    > You learned how to quote. Mazel tov!

  9. Marsha

    Marsha Guest

    jamie wrote:

    > Patrick Joseph Mc Namara <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
    >>foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
    >>oregano.

    > Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
    > for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
    > didn't quite put enough garlic in.

    I'll second that. If not garlic, then onions.

    Marsha/Ohio

  10. Marsha <[email protected]> wrote:

    > jamie wrote:
    >
    > > Patrick Joseph Mc Namara <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
    > >>foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
    > >>oregano.

    > > Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
    > > for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
    > > didn't quite put enough garlic in.

    > I'll second that. If not garlic, then onions.

    i prefer shallots to onions.

    but i third the garlic. it's good stuff.

  11. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    jamie wrote:

    > Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
    > for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
    > didn't quite put enough garlic in.

    Hah! that's me exactly!

  12. tia

    tia Guest

    theres never enough garlic.

    emeril and i see eye to eye on that.. and yes... pork fat does, indeed,
    rule.

    --
    _____________________________
    This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

    "Xtile" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jamie wrote:
    >>
    >> Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
    >> for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
    >> didn't quite put enough garlic in.
    >>

    > Hah! that's me exactly!

  13. Xtile

    Xtile Guest

    tia wrote:
    > theres never enough garlic.
    >
    > emeril and i see eye to eye on that.. and yes... pork fat does, indeed,
    > rule.

    Garlic is the king AND queen of spices.