Spices

Pat-Might want to start with some fresh herbs. Most grocery stores
these days carry fresh basil, cilantro, tarragon, rosemary, etc., even
fresh PARSLEY has flavor, compared to the tasteless dried variety. All
are MUCH better than the dried, IMHO, and way more fun. Get ideas how
to use them from most any cookbook (e.g., rosemary with chicken is a
classic combination, but it's also good with fish, lamb, etc.) then
experiment! Make some pesto with the basil & some garlic, a few pine
nuts if you can take some carbs, some Parmesan cheese (please, fresh
grated!). Great to enhance a vegetable soup (also great with pasta,
but, well, you know... ;-) Or try an omelet/scrambled eggs with some
shrimp, grated Gruyere cheese and FRESHLY grated nutmeg (I've had the
same bag of whole nutmegs in the freezer for 20 years, probably use
about 2 a year!) Play around & don't worry about mistakes, you'll soon
get a feel for what tastes you like with what. Even if you don't like
HOT, try it a little cayenne at first, good in lots of dishes. It's
usually an acquired taste, but you may be surprised how quickly you get
hooked. Add a little cumin for a real earthy flavor. A cardinal rule:
you can always add MORE of something, but it's very difficult to take
some back OUT! So TASTE as you go!

Dan

Patrick Joseph Mc Namara wrote:
> Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
> foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
> oregano.

"Patrick Joseph Mc Namara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for

hot
> foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
> oregano.

=========================
My favorite seasonings for low carb veggies is to boil them in Chicken
Bullion with 1/2 to 1 tsp. of olive oil, salt, pepper, and Garlic (McCormick
Garlic & Herb) and a few shakes of McCormick Vegetable Supreme. A few
pinches of Kraft's Parm Plus also adds flavor.
--
Wysong
Age 60. Height 5'6"

the best thing to do is watch food network for awhile. all they use is
fresh herbs in their stuff! but if you want to really add some depth
of flavor, it all depends what recipes you have and what youre cooking.
for steak recipes, i love lemon pepper, garlic, **KOSHER** salt (the
flavor is just MMM). for pork recipes-- you have *GOT* to try
rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and pepper. for chicken - you can do
almost anything... cilantro, marjoram (similar to oregano), basil for
tomato type dishes, chives, mint... the list goes on and on. try some
of your favorite recipes at foodtv.com. while they probably add a
bunch of high carb nonos, they also list which herbs go with the dish
too. if you want, id love to swap recipes. you will find when you add
fresh herbs to your dishes (the ground stuff loses flavor VERY fast),
the taste and quality goes from mcdonalds lame to Delmonico's WOW.
hope that helps.

-tia

tia wrote:
> for pork recipes-- you have *GOT* to try
> rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and pepper.
> -tia

Never, never use kosher salt on pork.

Always use traif salt on pork only!

> Never, never use kosher salt on pork.
>
> Always use traif salt on pork only!

cant say ive ever heard of traif salt?? im intrigued! tell me more!

-t

tia wrote:

> > Never, never use kosher salt on pork.
> >
> > Always use traif salt on pork only!

> cant say ive ever heard of traif salt?? im intrigued! tell me more!
>
> -t

You learned how to quote. Mazel tov!

ROFL... yea im using outlook express (shudder) until i can get to my other
box at home.. the laptop has windows on it, sadly and this is the only
newsreader i could get on here without a million hours of dialup connection
downloading... Shalom to you too lol.. ;)

--
_____________________________
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

news:[email protected]...

jamie wrote:

> Patrick Joseph Mc Namara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
>>foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
>>oregano.

> Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
> for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
> didn't quite put enough garlic in.

I'll second that. If not garlic, then onions.

Marsha/Ohio

Marsha <[email protected]> wrote:

> jamie wrote:
>
> > Patrick Joseph Mc Namara <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Has anyone good advice on using spices to enhance foods? I'm not one for hot
> >>foods, but I've never quite figured out anything more than pepper and
> >>oregano.

> > Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
> > for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
> > didn't quite put enough garlic in.

> I'll second that. If not garlic, then onions.

i prefer shallots to onions.

but i third the garlic. it's good stuff.

jamie wrote:

> Garlic, in almost everything! Fresh, mind you. IMO, the only purpose
> for garlic powder is if you notice near the end of cooking that you
> didn't quite put enough garlic in.

Hah! that's me exactly!

theres never enough garlic.

emeril and i see eye to eye on that.. and yes... pork fat does, indeed,
rule.

--
This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

tia wrote:
> theres never enough garlic.
>
> emeril and i see eye to eye on that.. and yes... pork fat does, indeed,
> rule.

Garlic is the king AND queen of spices.