Spicy question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jan 4, 2006.

  1. I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".

    I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".

    Questions:

    1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?

    2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
    that they can't be...

    I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
    answers!

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?

    No.

    > 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes?

    No.

    > Or are they SO different that they can't be...

    They're quite different. Fenugreek is bitter and sort of earthy.
    Fennel is like a mild licorice. Fenugreek is seldom found in Western
    cooking. Mostly found in Indian and South Asian, I believe. Often one
    of the many spices in a curry. Fennel often found in sausages. You
    might get more useful answers if you said what the recipe is and what
    quantity you're talking about. -aem

  3. David C

    David C Guest

    On 4 Jan 2006 21:23:10 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
    >
    >I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
    >
    >Questions:
    >
    >1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?

    Nope.

    >2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
    >that they can't be...

    I wouldn't even on a dare. Funugreek is bitter, fennel is somewhat
    sweet (think licorace).

    >I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
    >answers!

    Check out http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/ for some pretty good
    info.

    David

  4. aem wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?

    > No.
    > >
    > > 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes?

    > No.
    >
    > > Or are they SO different that they can't be...

    > They're quite different. Fenugreek is bitter and sort of earthy.
    > Fennel is like a mild licorice. Fenugreek is seldom found in Western
    > cooking. Mostly found in Indian and South Asian, I believe. Often one
    > of the many spices in a curry. Fennel often found in sausages. You
    > might get more useful answers if you said what the recipe is and what
    > quantity you're talking about. -aem

    Thanks to all for your answers...that is exactly what I was looking to
    find out!

  5. fenugreek is good if you are trying to increase breastmilk supply!

    chris

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
    >
    > I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
    >
    > 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
    > that they can't be...
    >
    > I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
    > answers!

  6. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
    >
    > I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
    >
    > 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
    > that they can't be...
    >
    > I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
    > answers!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenugreek

  7. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a recipe that calls for "fenugreek".
    >
    > I have in my cupboard "fennel seeds".
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > 1) Are fenugreek and fennel seeds the same thing?
    >
    > 2) If no, are they interchangable in recipes? Or are they SO different
    > that they can't be...
    >
    > I have absolutely no idea what each is, so I will appreciate your
    > answers!

    They are very much not the same thing. To find out about fenugreek seeds,
    Google is your friend. Also try using the word 'methi' (note that both
    leaves and seed are used in cooking, but used differently).

    Shaun aRe