Spinach Balls for Kili

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. Here is the basic recipe. It calls for 1 pkg of spinach but I use 2. 1 pkg
    is not enough with all of the other ingredients. You don't have to use the
    Italian bread crumbs but if you don't use them, additional seasoning will
    be needed. These are also good with a good tomato style sauce and I always
    garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be found on
    FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.

    1 pound package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    5 eggs
    1 large onion, minced
    10 tablespoons margarine, melted
    1 cup shredded Parmesan
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1 3/4 cups Italian-style bread crumbs

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

    Squeeze the excess water from the spinach and put it in a large mixing
    bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well by hand.* Form the mixture
    into 1-inch balls, either by hand or with a small ice cream scoop. Place
    the balls closely together on a baking sheet.

    Cook in the top half of the oven until firm to the touch, about 20 to 25
    minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, and then transfer to a platter and serve
    immediately.

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

    Tags:

  2. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here is the basic recipe. It calls for 1 pkg of spinach but I use 2. 1

    pkg
    > is not enough with all of the other ingredients. You don't have to use the
    > Italian bread crumbs but if you don't use them, additional seasoning will
    > be needed. These are also good with a good tomato style sauce and I

    always
    > garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be found on
    > FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.
    >
    > 1 pound package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    > 5 eggs
    > 1 large onion, minced
    > 10 tablespoons margarine, melted
    > 1 cup shredded Parmesan
    > 2 garlic cloves, minced
    > 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    > 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    > 1 3/4 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
    >

    > Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    >
    > Squeeze the excess water from the spinach and put it in a large mixing
    > bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well by hand.* Form the

    mixture
    > into 1-inch balls, either by hand or with a small ice cream scoop. Place
    > the balls closely together on a baking sheet.
    >
    > Cook in the top half of the oven until firm to the touch, about 20 to 25
    > minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, and then transfer to a platter and serve
    > immediately.

    Okay, they sound wonderful, Michael. I'm putting them on the menu for
    Christmas! Thank you a whole bunch (of spinach - <grin>).

    kili

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote

    > garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be found on
    > FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.

    I saw the Hearty Boys make that this weekend, I remember how
    they specified use margarine, not butter. Looked good to me,
    but all their food looks good to me.

    nancy

  4. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be found

    on
    > > FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.

    > I saw the Hearty Boys make that this weekend, I remember how
    > they specified use margarine, not butter. Looked good to me,
    > but all their food looks good to me.
    >
    > nancy

    Use margarine, not butter? Huh? Margarine isn't invited into this
    household. Now what do I do? <g>

    kili

  5. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be
    >> found on FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.

    > I saw the Hearty Boys make that this weekend, I remember how
    > they specified use margarine, not butter. Looked good to me,
    > but all their food looks good to me.
    >
    > nancy

    I don't think that's where the recipe comes from, I might be wrong though.
    There is another variation out there that uses ricotta cheese and parmesan.
    Looks way too messy for me. I like this recipe except I do use 2 pkgs of
    the spinach instead of 1.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  6. "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> > garnish by sprinkling more parmesan on top. This recipe can be
    >> > found

    > on
    >> > FooTV but I can't remember which episode it was on.

    >> I saw the Hearty Boys make that this weekend, I remember how
    >> they specified use margarine, not butter. Looked good to me,
    >> but all their food looks good to me.
    >>
    >> nancy
    >>

    > Use margarine, not butter? Huh? Margarine isn't invited into this
    > household. Now what do I do? <g>
    >
    > kili

    Butter will make them a bit drier due to butter leakage. Margarine is the
    best bet but if you use butter, ya' might want to consider the tomato sauce
    option.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> I saw the Hearty Boys make that this weekend, I remember how
    >> they specified use margarine, not butter. Looked good to me,
    >> but all their food looks good to me.

    > Use margarine, not butter? Huh? Margarine isn't invited into this
    > household. Now what do I do? <g>

    I agree, but they made a point of it, the butter leaks and make
    them too greasy or something like that. I take their word for
    it, it's not like they usually skimp on ingredients.

    nancy

  8. Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > Spinach Balls for Kili

    I sure hope the OP isnt a witch

    NT

  9. sf

    sf Guest

    Looks good! If you don't coat them in tomato sauce, can they be
    finger food?

    sf