Spinach & Chickpeas Redux

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Leila, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. Leila

    Leila Guest

    6 years ago this month we went to Spain and I returned raving about
    garbanzos con espinacas. This is a tapa you get in Madrid and in the
    South (maybe in the north too but we didn't go there) - the flavors
    just drove me crazy, rich, slightly tangy, earthy. I couldn't get
    enough of it.

    Christine was kind enough to print Penelope Casas' recipe here:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...tine+dabney+garbanzos&rnum=1#b57d0f46fb5f69e9

    it included grated chocolate and saffron which I think are the two
    magic ingredients.

    Today I made the stuff in the pressure cooker using techniques I got
    from Lorna Sass' books on pressure cooking (love that library internet
    catalog - order it in the middle of the night and two days later it's
    at the local branch - Sort of like Amazon, but free, and it's
    neighborhood service, not to the door)

    I doubled the recipe and the technique is different so here's my
    version - flavors not changed.

    1 cup dry chickpeas
    4 cloves garlic -- peeled
    1 onion - half cut into slices, the other half finely chopped
    1/2 cup tomato -- peeled and chopped
    2 bay leaves
    coarse salt
    1 pound frozen spinach - chopped
    ??? strands saffron
    1/4 c. olive oil plus one tablespoon
    1 teaspoon semisweet chocolate -- grated

    Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water to cover. (Pressure cooker -
    you can "speed pre-soak" by cooking in water to cover under high
    pressure for one minute. Let cool naturally to release pressure; drain
    beans and proceed)

    Drain and place the chickpeas in a deep casserole with 2 cloves of the
    garlic, half of the onion cut in slices, 4 tablespoons (1/4 c.) of the
    tomato, bay leaves, **** and water to cover. Bring to a boil, then
    simmer, covered about 1 1/2-2 hours, or until the chickpeas are just
    tender.

    (Pressure cooker: Use at least 3 1/2 cups water and add a tablespoon of
    olive oil, to prevent foaming and clogging the valve. Lock down cooker,
    bring to high pressure and cook 10 minutes. Let cool naturally. If
    garbanzos aren't done enough, cook under pressure another 2 minutes.
    Allow to cool naturally)

    Drain, reserving several tablespoons of the cooking liquid and
    discarding the garlic and bay leaf.

    Add salt and some cooking liquid to the frozen spinach (follow package
    directions for amount of liquid to use but I used more than indicated)
    and simmer 5 minutes.

    In a mortar, crush the remaining 2 cloves of garlic with the saffron
    (Note - original recipe as typed didn't indicate how much saffron. I
    guessed - a few threads) and a little salt. In a skillet heat 2
    tablespoons of the oil and saute the remaining onion, chopped fine,
    until it is wilted. Add the remaining 1/4 cup tomato and cook until
    the tomato has softened. Stir in the spinach, the remaining 2
    tablespoons of oil, and the saffron mixture.

    Combine the spinach mixture with the chickpeas and stir well to
    distribute the
    spinach evenly. Mix in about 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking
    liquid-or a
    little more if you wish the mixture thinner- and the grated chocolate.

    May be prepared ahead.

    Serves 8

    ****Casas says add salt to the chickpeas before cooking. Every other
    source I know says don't do it, the beans will harden and won't cook. I
    add salt after cooking.

    Leila says - eat this with crusty bread. Drink it with red wine
    (Spanish rioja?) or a nice dry sherry. You have to make my big recipe
    because it's just too delicious and it keeps and reheats well. 4
    servings not enough for the effort and cooking energy expended.

    It's a good potluck item because it doesn't need to be piping hot and
    it's dairy and meat-free, which matters in some circles. No it's not
    low carb but you can't have everything. I think even Atkins would
    approve of chickpeas, in moderation. Figure a 1/4 cup serving would
    equal about 10 carbs, maybe a little more with the chocolate.

    Leila

    Tags:

  2. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Leila" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >6 years ago this month we went to Spain and I returned raving about
    > garbanzos con espinacas. This is a tapa you get in Madrid and in the
    > South (maybe in the north too but we didn't go there) - the flavors
    > just drove me crazy, rich, slightly tangy, earthy. I couldn't get
    > enough of it.
    >
    > Christine was kind enough to print Penelope Casas' recipe here:
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group...tine+dabney+garbanzos&rnum=1#b57d0f46fb5f69e9
    >
    > it included grated chocolate and saffron which I think are the two
    > magic ingredients.
    >
    > Today I made the stuff in the pressure cooker using techniques I got
    > from Lorna Sass' books on pressure cooking (love that library internet
    > catalog - order it in the middle of the night and two days later it's
    > at the local branch - Sort of like Amazon, but free, and it's
    > neighborhood service, not to the door)

    Could you explain what the "library internet catalog" is. I'm always
    looking for another way to access library material.
    Thanks so much.
    Dee

  3. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Leila" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >6 years ago this month we went to Spain and I returned raving about
    > > garbanzos con espinacas. This is a tapa you get in Madrid and in
    > > the South (maybe in the north too but we didn't go there) - the
    > > flavors just drove me crazy, rich, slightly tangy, earthy. I
    > > couldn't get enough of it.
    > >
    > > Christine was kind enough to print Penelope Casas' recipe here:
    > >
    > > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thr
    > > ead/63db0a8ff449eafd/b57d0f46fb5f69e9?q=christine+dabney+garbanzos&
    > > rnum=1#b57d0f46fb5f69e9
    > >
    > > it included grated chocolate and saffron which I think are the two
    > > magic ingredients.
    > >
    > > Today I made the stuff in the pressure cooker using techniques I
    > > got from Lorna Sass' books on pressure cooking (love that library
    > > internet catalog - order it in the middle of the night and two
    > > days later it's at the local branch - Sort of like Amazon, but
    > > free, and it's neighborhood service, not to the door)
    > >

    > Could you explain what the "library internet catalog" is. I'm
    > always looking for another way to access library material.
    > Thanks so much.
    > Dee

    If your town has more than 1 branch...you can request books (from a
    catalog on line) from the other branch(es) be reserved for you (or some
    such) and you will be advised when the book has been delivered to the
    branch nearest you. Maybe even from other towns. I don't live in the
    states so I'm not certain of the library ties to each other down there.
    You just enter the web address for your Library and start a topic
    or book search. When you see a title you like you can click on it and see
    which branch has it and if it is availible then request it... all on
    line. I'm sure your local librarian would be more than willing to talk
    you thru your first request attempt and answer all your questions.

    Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
    1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    >> "Leila" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >6 years ago this month we went to Spain and I returned raving about
    >> > garbanzos con espinacas. This is a tapa you get in Madrid and in
    >> > the South (maybe in the north too but we didn't go there) - the
    >> > flavors just drove me crazy, rich, slightly tangy, earthy. I
    >> > couldn't get enough of it.
    >> >
    >> > Christine was kind enough to print Penelope Casas' recipe here:
    >> >
    >> > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thr
    >> > ead/63db0a8ff449eafd/b57d0f46fb5f69e9?q=christine+dabney+garbanzos&
    >> > rnum=1#b57d0f46fb5f69e9
    >> >
    >> > it included grated chocolate and saffron which I think are the two
    >> > magic ingredients.
    >> >
    >> > Today I made the stuff in the pressure cooker using techniques I
    >> > got from Lorna Sass' books on pressure cooking (love that library
    >> > internet catalog - order it in the middle of the night and two
    >> > days later it's at the local branch - Sort of like Amazon, but
    >> > free, and it's neighborhood service, not to the door)
    >> >

    >> Could you explain what the "library internet catalog" is. I'm
    >> always looking for another way to access library material.
    >> Thanks so much.
    >> Dee
    >>

    > If your town has more than 1 branch...you can request books (from a
    > catalog on line) from the other branch(es) be reserved for you (or some
    > such) and you will be advised when the book has been delivered to the
    > branch nearest you. Maybe even from other towns. I don't live in the
    > states so I'm not certain of the library ties to each other down there.
    > You just enter the web address for your Library and start a topic
    > or book search. When you see a title you like you can click on it and see
    > which branch has it and if it is availible then request it... all on
    > line. I'm sure your local librarian would be more than willing to talk
    > you thru your first request attempt and answer all your questions.

    Thanks so much. I understand.
    My appreciation, Dee

  5. Troy Lubbers

    Troy Lubbers Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Monsur Fromage du Pollet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>news:[email protected]:
    >>

    >>>"Leila" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Could you explain what the "library internet catalog" is. I'm
    >>>always looking for another way to access library material.
    >>>Thanks so much.
    >>>Dee
    >>>

    >>If your town has more than 1 branch...you can request books (from a
    >>catalog on line) from the other branch(es) be reserved for you (or some
    >>such) and you will be advised when the book has been delivered to the
    >>branch nearest you. Maybe even from other towns. I don't live in the
    >>states so I'm not certain of the library ties to each other down there.
    >>You just enter the web address for your Library and start a topic
    >>or book search. When you see a title you like you can click on it and see
    >>which branch has it and if it is availible then request it... all on
    >>line. I'm sure your local librarian would be more than willing to talk
    >>you thru your first request attempt and answer all your questions.
    >>

    > Thanks so much. I understand.
    > My appreciation, Dee

    Even better than that. Sometime you can access the Inter Library Loan
    system online, and request specific titles even quite rare ones and the
    library can receive it from libraries across the country or around the
    world.

    My wife fills InterLibrary loan request in her job as a librarian in a
    research library and gets materials from around the world. Usually free
    sometimes a small nominal fee, but if you don't want to pay that you can
    specify and they'll only attempt to get it from sources that don't charge.

    It's a great way to get your hands on books your library system doesn't
    have. Doesn't work for popular titles because library systems won't
    send them out to other systems, but if it's a popular title your system
    probably has it. So you will get to read it eventually when your turn
    comes.

    Librarians always seem eager to help out when I've gone in and needed
    help and it is there job, so make the most of it.

    Troy

  6. Leila

    Leila Guest

    M. Fromage explained it quite well, but here's the link to my town's
    library catalog:

    http://oaklandlibrary.org:8080/

    The box on the left is a selection box - click in it to see other
    search options besides title. The box on the right is where you type
    your request (title of book, or author name)

    I notice other towns in my area use the same software.

    Leila

  7. Leila

    Leila Guest

    Note - it was a hit at the potluck tonight, but next time I will
    undercook the chickpeas ever so slightly, because they got mushy on
    reheating. And I might not cook the spinach 5 minutes.

    I thought I was being so PC bringing a non-meat non-dairy item, but the
    guest of honor fooled me - he only eats RAW food. (Bronx cheer here)
    Too bad for him. Somebody else brought KFC chicken wings so they really
    weren't with the program. I love Oakland, we take all kinds here. My
    kids and husband devoured the wings. My kids and I devoured the
    homemade choco chip cookies. There was also shrimp, and plenty of
    salad, and cheese, crackers and bread. I woke up at midnight kinda
    hungry...needed more protein.

    Leila