Spinergy Carbon Wheels

50mph said:
What do you think of Spinergy carbon wheels with X braces?
X braces? You mean the Rev-X models?

I don't think I'd use them, as I've heard of some breakage problems. I called Spinergy about it (since I own a pair), and they offered to sell me a new pair of wheels for 40% off retail if I provided photographic evidence that the Rev-X's were destroyed.

I too had some Rev-X wheels and asked about returning them to Spinergy because of safety concerns but they were far from helpful. In fact they were pretty damn rude.

I took them to Performance and returned them for some nice Mavics.

50mph said:
Stay away from them..... there's a flood of them on EBAY and despite what a few fans have to say, most reviews I've seen on them have been very very N-E-G-A-T-I-V-E. In fact, my LBS won't even consider selling them because the rims are just that horrible. If you're considering carbon rims, Spinergy does make a better, affordable rim, the Stealth.

50mph said:
Notice that the Spinergys are actually less stiff with the x-braces in than without http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/ ... Says to me that they are more marketing than performance oriented... I also remember that about 8 years ago(when they came out) they were somewhat popular at races, and about 2 years later you never saw them again. I would say if you pick up a set cheap for training they are fine, but don't even consider dropping any significant coinage on them.

wilmar13 said:
I also remember that about 8 years ago(when they came out) they were somewhat popular at races, and about 2 years later you never saw them again.
That's probably because they all folded up. Rivets and carbon fiber are never a good combination.

artmichalek said:
That's probably because they all folded up. Rivets and carbon fiber are never a good combination.
Either that or the people riding them were blown into the paths of dump trucks, like I almost was 3 years ago. They're horribly succeptible to cross-drafts, and it's really windy around here. Glad I didn't actually have to pay for them... I'd have been ******.

cydewaze said:
Either that or the people riding them were blown into the paths of dump trucks, like I almost was 3 years ago. They're horribly succeptible to cross-drafts, and it's really windy around here. Glad I didn't actually have to pay for them... I'd have been ******.

Clydewaze, how much do you weigh? I always hear talk about wheels that have a lot of surface area (usually more aero) being terrible in cross winds... I used to do a TT on my own once per week with a Specialized Trispoke on the front, and one of those psuedo disk covers over a spoked wheel on the back and I never had a problem. I am wondering if it is because I am a larger rider, or if I never rode in what people consider cross winds, or maybe a combination of both... either way I have never ended up being "blown around" with some wheels more than others but it is clear it is a real thing as everyone mentions it.

I actually like my Rev-X's - but given that I only use them for the odd TT and not as training or bunch racing wheels.

I think that the UCI left them off the list of wheels available for use in bunch starts - so that probably explains their dissapearance a couple of years ago.

Mine have the "stiffeners" in them and this makes a difference I think - and I find them pretty handy - especially when out of the saddle and crunching uphill in a TT.

They are, like any other deep dished or bladed wheel, susceptible to the cross wind - but hey - if it is that windy - maybe use your normal wheels instead.

They sound like a helicopter when you really get them going - and I find that they really get going above 35 km/h - below that - well - not sure there would be much difference to any other normally spoked wheel.

wilmar13 said:
Cydewaze, how much do you weigh? I always hear talk about wheels that have a lot of surface area (usually more aero) being terrible in cross winds... I used to do a TT on my own once per week with a Specialized Trispoke on the front, and one of those psuedo disk covers over a spoked wheel on the back and I never had a problem. I am wondering if it is because I am a larger rider, or if I never rode in what people consider cross winds, or maybe a combination of both... either way I have never ended up being "blown around" with some wheels more than others but it is clear it is a real thing as everyone mentions it.
I'm around 190 lbs - not light by any means. But it's extremely windy where I live (I often have to drive around for 20 minutes to find where my trash can has blow off to when I get home from work). The girl who gave me the wheels was 125 lbs, and they had their way with her when it came to cross draft.

What's probably the case is that you ride 20x faster than I do, so the cross draft is a small percentage of your forward speed, whereas with me the draft is as fast as I am, so I get tossed around. ;)

In all honesty, I was fine with the wheels, and it was only a few times when the wind caused problems. Unfortunately, two of those times put me in very dangerous positions (like coming out from behind a retaining wall and catching a 35mph gust that shoved me in front of a dump truck that was coming up the road behind me). The main thing I hate about the wheels was that they rub the brakes when I stand or hammer hard. The lateral stiffness is horrible.