Spinergy Rev-x rear hub

niche400

May 5, 2006
Hi all,
New to the forum, joined hoping to find enlightenment as it sure wasn't coming from Spinergy customer service.

Bought a used LOOK with Rev-x wheels, and didn't realize at the time that the rear hub was ever so slightly loose. LBS said they'll have to replace the entire cartridge. Does anyone know if it's possible to tighten the hubs myself?

Spinergy says, "The free hub is a Shimano free hub. You just need the cone tightened up most likely. Take it to your bike shop if you don't know what a cone is. Take care."

Well, ok, I don't know what a cone is.

Anyone have any leads?
Thanks!

niche

niche400 said:
Hi all,
New to the forum, joined hoping to find enlightenment as it sure wasn't coming from Spinergy customer service.

Bought a used LOOK with Rev-x wheels, and didn't realize at the time that the rear hub was ever so slightly loose. LBS said they'll have to replace the entire cartridge. Does anyone know if it's possible to tighten the hubs myself?

Spinergy says, "The free hub is a Shimano free hub. You just need the cone tightened up most likely. Take it to your bike shop if you don't know what a cone is. Take care."

Well, ok, I don't know what a cone is.

Anyone have any leads?
Thanks!

niche

My suspicion is that what Spinergy interpreted the problem to be and what your LBS interpreted the problem to be may be two different things. I would trust the assessment of the person who actually physically inspected the hub.

The hub bearings themselves are cartridge and if they are the cause of the looseness, then yes, the cartridge would need replacement. That is not a big deal and the shop should be able to do it. In fact you can do it yourself (see this link):

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/maintenance/bearings/bearings.html

Spinergy is correct in that they used a Shimano freehub (the part that holds the cassette), which has its own bearings inside that do adjust with a cone. See the park tool site for advice:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=118

In some cases, if the freehub has developed play, it is because the bearing are worn and then it is usually easier to replace the freehub.

"ever so slightly loose" may be rideable without any further maintenance though, depending on how much play "ever so slightly" actually is.