Spinergy Rev-x Wheels

scottmilk9

Jul 23, 2006
Anyone use the Spinergy Rev-x wheels? I am thinking about buying a pair off of ebay, i did an extensive search on roadbikereview and a few other sites, I would say 75% of the people like them. Most people complain about the thumping noise they make while going over 25mph. Anyone with an opinion?

scottmilk9 said:
Anyone use the Spinergy Rev-x wheels? I am thinking about buying a pair off of ebay, i did an extensive search on roadbikereview and a few other sites, I would say 75% of the people like them. Most people complain about the thumping noise they make while going over 25mph. Anyone with an opinion?
I had some trouble with them in windy conditions, but this is not out of the ordinary for an aero wheel. They were fast when you finally got them up to speed. There might be issues with their longevity

Here is a previous thread.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t72909.html

scottmilk9 said:
Make sure you health insurance is paid up.

You might want to google for something like "Spinergy catastrophic failure."

There was a problem with the earlier versions of this wheel suddenly and catastrophically failing, as in the wheel coming apart and dumping the rider.

Personally, I'd spend the extra and get a carbon aero wheelset (HED 3, Zipp 404, etc.) that doesn't have a reputation for self destructing. In the end, it would be a lot cheaper than the medical bills, assuming you survive the crash...

thanks guys, ill look into them a little harder or save a little extra and get the HED or other aero wheel.

scottmilk9 said:

You may also want to consider UCI rules. Unless I am very much mistaken the rev X wheels are no longer UCI legal therefore you would not be able to use them for racing, which for wheels like these is really their sole purpose